Re: GPS Question

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 13 , May 22, 2013
      Thanks for the info. I see my thought process was totally wrong when I asked this question. I was thinking you could use a car GPS (ie: TomTom, Garmin) to hook into the Scanner. I see now this is a different kind of GPS concept that I am going to have to read up on.

      > It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
      > NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).
      >
      > Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.
      >
      > Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
      > null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)
      >
      > If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.
      >
      > Joe M.
      >
      > Bob wrote:
      > > What GPS works with this scanner?
      > > I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.

    • David
      Message 2 of 13 , May 23, 2013
        This may be of some interest to you:

        <http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/266655-using-garmin-nuvi-uniden-scanner-gps.html>

        Also, many of the handheld Garmins come with a 9 pin cable and output NMEA data the the scanner needs.