Re: [BCD396XT] GPS Question

    Message 1 of 13 , May 22, 2013
      It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
      NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).

      Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.

      Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
      null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)

      If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.

      Joe M.

      Bob wrote:
      > What GPS works with this scanner?
      > I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 13 , May 22, 2013
        Thanks for the info. I see my thought process was totally wrong when I asked this question. I was thinking you could use a car GPS (ie: TomTom, Garmin) to hook into the Scanner. I see now this is a different kind of GPS concept that I am going to have to read up on.

        > It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
        > NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).
        >
        > Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.
        >
        > Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
        > null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)
        >
        > If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.
        >
        > Joe M.
        >
        > Bob wrote:
        > > What GPS works with this scanner?
        > > I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.

      • David
        Message 3 of 13 , May 23, 2013
          This may be of some interest to you:

          <http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/266655-using-garmin-nuvi-uniden-scanner-gps.html>

          Also, many of the handheld Garmins come with a 9 pin cable and output NMEA data the the scanner needs.