GPS Question

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 13 , May 22 12:27 AM
      What GPS works with this scanner?
      I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.
      Message 2 of 13 , May 22 12:45 AM
        It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
        NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).

        Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.

        Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
        null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)

        If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 22 11:29 PM
          Thanks for the info. I see my thought process was totally wrong when I asked this question. I was thinking you could use a car GPS (ie: TomTom, Garmin) to hook into the Scanner. I see now this is a different kind of GPS concept that I am going to have to read up on.

          > It's not usually called an RS232 port - it's called a
          > NMEA port (which just happens to use the RS232 protocol).
          >
          > Uniden makes a GPS that plugs right into the scanners.
          >
          > Several other manufacturers make GPSs that plug in using a
          > null-modem-gender-changer. (such as Byonics and Delua)
          >
          > If you search for GPSs made for ham APRS, those will usually work, too.
          >
          > Joe M.
          >
          > Bob wrote:
          > > What GPS works with this scanner?
          > > I don't ever recall coming across a GPS with an RS 233 port.

        • David
          Message 4 of 13 , May 23 3:43 AM
            This may be of some interest to you:

            <http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/266655-using-garmin-nuvi-uniden-scanner-gps.html>

            Also, many of the handheld Garmins come with a 9 pin cable and output NMEA data the the scanner needs.