P-25 failure to decode?

  • shane
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2013
      Anyone know why the 396 will not decode P-25 on a 927mhz Ham repeater?
      I have a 927mhz custom search programmed. It will stop on an FM signal fine. It will also stop on the same frequency when they are talking in P25, but will not decode the P25. I have the modulation set to default/NFM. There is no digital choice for modulation in custom search mode.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks,
      Shane

      P.S. P-25 decode works fine in the Public Safety bands.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2013
        Do you have the CTCSS/CDCSS SEARCH option enabled? If so, the scanner
        cannot decode P25 while it is searching for tones/codes.

        Joe M.

        shane wrote:
        > Anyone know why the 396 will not decode P-25 on a 927mhz Ham repeater?
        > I have a 927mhz custom search programmed. It will stop on an FM signal fine. It will also stop on the same frequency when they are talking in P25, but will not decode the P25. I have the modulation set to default/NFM. There is no digital choice for modulation in custom search mode.
        > Any ideas?
        > Thanks,
        > Shane
        >
        > P.S. P-25 decode works fine in the Public Safety bands.

      • Michael Hopkins
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2013
          It's possible the signal isn't P25. There is a digital voice system called
          D-Star that is common on amateur repeaters and you cannot decode it with a
          P25 scanner. I believe there is also another digital system being used on
          some repeaters, but I'm not sure what that is called.

          Mike Hopkins K1VLB

          Mhopkins735@...

          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 2013
            there is also the NXDN Digital  from Kenwood          (NEXEDGE)
            which some systems are using ,

             IIRC;
             the 396 will not decode that either..

            Message 5 of 6 , May 10, 2013
              Yes, after checking I DID have the CTCSS search enabled. I turned that off and switched it to NAC decode. I will see if that works.
              Thanks for the suggestion.
              Shane

              Message 6 of 6 , May 10, 2013
                You can also just turn it to off meaning no tone or NAC detect, and the radio will play P-25 anyway.