Re: [BCD396XT] Beaten Subject to death

    Message 1 of 18 , May 7, 2013
      It's cause were men...

      Message 2 of 18 , May 7, 2013
        You go Preston!

        On May 7, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Preston Ward wrote:

        > Well Ray I have to take some responsibility for this. I am just a beginner in this hobby and don't know anything about antennas, very little about scanners, and nothing about the 396XT, so I'm sorry if this has gotten too off topic. If I have further questions I'll try to write to people privately. I have done that already a few times to cut down on the number of, say, "not-as-on-topic" posts, but I have suddenly become very interested in all this and putting up a decent antenna and really don't know what I'm doing at all so I just wanted to try to get as much info as possible. In any event, I apologize for how the subject went on too much for some othersin the group.
        >
        > Preston

      • David Cranton
        Message 3 of 18 , May 8, 2013
          One can NEVER learn to much, or from too many people.

          Myself, I have been involved with radios/scanning etc since the late 50's!
          I do NOT know it all, in fact I know very little. I have learned a lot from
          the replies to the antenna and many other posts.

          I am not an engineer. I am a mechanic. I am educated, a degree in
          electronics, but antenna theory is not my strong area, so I enjoy the
          thoughts, guidance and experience of others on here.

          Some on this and other forums may be VERY new to this, do not discourage
          their questions.

          I am also a model railroader, a hobby like this that encompasses a small
          part of the population. We need to help the "new guys" add them and others
          to the hobby so that we can keep up industries interest in developing new
          and better products and support for what they already have.

        • John Stark
          Message 4 of 18 , May 8, 2013
            There is always one who instead of using the delete key or trash can has to ruin it for everyone else.....

            David Cranton <d.cranton@...> wrote:

            >One can NEVER learn to much, or from too many people.
            >
            >Myself, I have been involved with radios/scanning etc since the late 50's!
            >I do NOT know it all, in fact I know very little. I have learned a lot from
            >the replies to the antenna and many other posts.
            >
            >I am not an engineer. I am a mechanic. I am educated, a degree in
            >electronics, but antenna theory is not my strong area, so I enjoy the
            >thoughts, guidance and experience of others on here.
            >
            >Some on this and other forums may be VERY new to this, do not discourage
            >their questions.
            >
            >I am also a model railroader, a hobby like this that encompasses a small
            >part of the population. We need to help the "new guys" add them and others
            >to the hobby so that we can keep up industries interest in developing new
            >and better products and support for what they already have.

          • Preston Ward
            Message 5 of 18 , May 8, 2013
              I completely agree with what you said, David.  I am educated and have a degree too, but this is a hobby to me and not my bailiwick, thus I need to ask questions, even if they may not interest others.  Aside from what you and others have posted about this, I've had others write to me privately too and encouraged me to keep asking questions.  So with all due respect to Ray, I think that's what I'll keep doing.  If the list owner thinks I'm beating a subject to death or getting too off-topic then I'll let him make that decision.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 8, 2013
                There are several Yahoo Groups on the subject of "Antennas", you might have
                better luck asking your questions on them.

                Clark

                At 12:35 PM 5/8/2013, you wrote:

                >I completely agree with what you said, David. I am educated and have a
                >degree too, but this is a hobby to me and not my bailiwick, thus I need to
                >ask questions, even if they may not interest others. Aside from what you
                >and others have posted about this, I've had others write to me privately
                >too and encouraged me to keep asking questions. So with all due respect
                >to Ray, I think that's what I'll keep doing. If the list owner thinks I'm
                >beating a subject to death or getting too off-topic then I'll let him make
                >that decision.

              • Preston Ward
                Message 7 of 18 , May 8, 2013
                  That's a good idea... I'll do a search and see what I find.

                  At 12:35 PM 5/8/2013, you wrote:

                  >I completely agree with what you said, David.  I am educated and have a
                  >degree too, but this is a hobby to me and not my bailiwick, thus I need to
                  >ask questions, even if they may not interest others.  Aside from what you
                  >and others have posted about this, I've had others write to me privately
                  >too and encouraged me to keep asking questions.  So with all due respect
                  >to Ray, I think that's what I'll keep doing.  If the list owner thinks I'm
                  >beating a subject to death or getting too off-topic then I'll let him make
                  >that decision.

                • Vince Caruso
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 9, 2013
                    Yes, Preston......you are fine sharing your questions on this email list
                    and in fact, that is what it is here for. It is what makes this email
                    list work; people sharing ideas.

                    Aside from the radio, the antenna and feed cable are the most important
                    things to monitoring radio signals. So the more you know about
                    antennas, the better experience you will have with your radio.

                    Best of luck to you.

                    Vince

                    On May 7, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Preston Ward wrote:

                    > Well Ray I have to take some responsibility for this. I am just a
                    beginner in this hobby and don't know anything about antennas, very
                    little about scanners, and nothing about the 396XT, so I'm sorry if this
                    has gotten too off topic. If I have further questions I'll try to write
                    to people privately. I have done that already a few times to cut down
                    on the number of, say, "not-as-on-topic" posts, but I have suddenly
                    become very interested in all this and putting up a decent antenna and
                    really don't know what I'm doing at all so I just wanted to try to get
                    as much info as possible. In any event, I apologize for how the subject
                    went on too much for some othersin the group.

                    > Preston

                  • Preston Ward
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 9, 2013

                      Thanks Vince, but can you see the pickle I'm in? - LOL -   I have one person saying they're tired of seeing my questions about antennas on this list, one who suggested to check out an antenna list (which I took as a hint), but several others who have told me both publicly and privately to go ahead and have at it.  The lists on Yahoo dedicated to antennas seem pretty dead though from what I can decipher.  I do not want to cause any problems or make any enemies here or, heaven forbid, start a flame war - LOL, especially being new on this list, however I'm still quite curious and interested in this subject and have indeed learned a lot from the people on this list, so I don't know what to do.... Lately when I see a post I have just been replying to them privately so it won't go to the list.  There could be silent others out there who don't want to see posts about antennas, but then again, there could be many more who want to see them.  I'm of the
                      opinion myself though that others can learn from these posts even if my own situation doesn't apply specifically to their situation at this point in time.  There still may be something they can learn from it.  And I've always thought that's the true spirit of the internet.   I'm sorry if my questions bother anyone.  Eventually though I'm gonna have to make a decision about what to get and this won't even be an issue anymore.  Then you'll have to put up with my beginner questions with the 396XT.  But thanks for your post :)

                      Preston

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 9, 2013
                        Preston,

                        You can also get up on the forums at http://www.radioreference.com and look for a section on antennas.
                        This site is another great resource.

                        Best of skill, and party on Garth...

                        -Lance

                        On May 9, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Preston Ward wrote:

                        > Thanks Vince, but can you see the pickle I'm in? - LOL - I have one person saying they're tired of seeing my questions about antennas on this list, one who suggested to check out an antenna list (which I took as a hint), but several others who have told me both publicly and privately to go ahead and have at it. The lists on Yahoo dedicated to antennas seem pretty dead though from what I can decipher. I do not want to cause any problems or make any enemies here or, heaven forbid, start a flame war - LOL, especially being new on this list, however I'm still quite curious and interested in this subject and have indeed learned a lot from the people on this list, so I don't know what to do.... Lately when I see a post I have just been replying to them privately so it won't go to the list. There could be silent others out there who don't want to see posts about antennas, but then again, there could be many more who want to see them. I'm of the
                        > opinion myself though that others can learn from these posts even if my own situation doesn't apply specifically to their situation at this point in time. There still may be something they can learn from it. And I've always thought that's the true spirit of the internet. I'm sorry if my questions bother anyone. Eventually though I'm gonna have to make a decision about what to get and this won't even be an issue anymore. Then you'll have to put up with my beginner questions with the 396XT. But thanks for your post :)
                        >
                        > Preston

                      • John Stark
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 9, 2013
                          Considering your connecting your antenna to your 396 I wouldn't worry about someone complaining about the thread as it IS on topic and related directly to the 396. If someone doesn't want to see the messages they can use the delete key.

                        • Preston Ward
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 9, 2013
                            Well I did join a scanner antenna group and have spent a couple hours looking around readioreference, but thus far the replies I've received have not been helpful at all.  On the other hand, everyone I've had contact with on this group has been more than helpful and I *really* do appreciate the advice I've been given.  Had it not been for this group -- and this is just one example -- I would have ended up putting a 3-4' piece of rebar into the ground and used that as my ground, and I very well could have also put it in with the concrete base of the mast too.  I mean, it seemed like it would have been a good idea since I was already going to be 2-3' down in the hole for the mast and in very rocky soil, so why not just put my ground rod in there too and save me the extra pounding?  I never would have guessed though that putting it in there with the concrete could blow the concrete apart and bring the whole thing down if it ever took a direct hit by
                            lightning*.  So tonight while I was out I got myself an 8' copper grounding rod and 4' of 4ga copper wire as suggested from this group.

                            Now if it hadn't have been for the helpful advice from this group, I'm sure you can all see the potential results of what I could have done.  And l guess I don't need to mention again that I live in Tornado Alley, and thunderstorms are an extremely frequent event here.  With my antenna being 30-35' up (plus the antenna height) it probably would have just been a matter of time before I had the whole thing come crashing down.  So for anyone who's a little irritated at my antenna questions, or even a lot PO'd about them, I hope you'll indulge me and forgive me for my beginner-type or what some may consider to be off-topic questions.  The antenna WILL be connected to my 396... I just decided to work on the antenna issue before I tried to conquer the programming of it since that's likely to go on for some time.

                            But speaking of potentially off-topic messages, does anyone on this list have a copy of Scancat software they'd like to sell me so I can program my Pro96 & 97?
                            (btw I cleared this with the list owner before asking)

                            * speaking of which, my neighbor is a concrete contractor and I was talking to him about what I had learned on this group.  He said as a matter of fact he had been called out to do a job a few blocks from here where the house took a direct hit and it blew out every electronic item in the house, fried the electric system, and then somehow decided it wanted to seek ground in the rebar of the pool....... which then completely blew the pool apart as well as all the surrounding concrete.

                            Considering your connecting your antenna to your 396 I wouldn't worry about someone complaining about the thread as it IS on topic and related directly to the 396. If someone doesn't want to see the messages they can use the delete key.

                            Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

                            >Thanks Vince, but can you see the pickle I'm in? - LOL -   I have one person saying they're tired of seeing my questions about antennas on this list, one who suggested to check out an antenna list (which I took as a hint), but several others who have told me both publicly and privately to go ahead and have at it.  The lists on Yahoo dedicated to antennas seem pretty dead though from what I can decipher.  I do not want to cause any problems or make any enemies here or, heaven forbid, start a flame war - LOL, especially being new on this list, however I'm still quite curious and interested in this subject and have indeed learned a lot from the people on this list, so I don't know what to do.... Lately when I see a post I have just been replying to them privately so it won't go to the list.  There could be silent others out there who don't want to see posts about antennas, but then again, there could be many more who want to see them.  I'm of the
                            > opinion myself though that others can learn from these posts even if my own situation doesn't apply specifically to their situation at this point in time.  There still may be something they can learn from it.  And I've always thought that's the true spirit of the internet.   I'm sorry if my questions bother anyone.  Eventually though I'm gonna have to make a decision about what to get and this won't even be an issue anymore.  Then you'll have to put up with my beginner questions with the 396XT.  But thanks for your post :)

                            >Preston

                          • John Stark
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 9, 2013
                              Yup....amazing what lightning will do! I saw an above ground pool blown apart from lightning too.
                              Like you I am in severe storm/tornado area just outside Indy. There have been two small F1 in my neighborhood in the past 5 years and a couple hundred severe thunderstorms as well. The only antenna damage so far was a number of poles and the scantenna and a cheap radio shack discone. My good discone survived the tornado although it was on a pole bent over 90°. Even through 60 and 70 mph winds the antennas seem to do pretty well. A couple poles are in need of replacement now but otherwise doing well. Right now there is the discone, two 800Mhz Yagi's and a grove antenna as well as a VHF high band antenna up. The discone is fed to a DLI Multicoupler (16 channel) and then goes to among other units a 396XT, 396T, 996XT, 996T a HomePatrol 1 with Extreme and 5 PCR100's. The setup works very well with all the radios and allows me to hear almost every county in the state even on 800Mhz. I also pick up Ohio MARCS fifty miles away. The tower the discone is on has 6 8' ground rods that are in very wet soil.
                              I play around a lot trying to see how far away I can get control channels with my PCR1500. Doing that I run the coax straight to the 1500 and the farthest I have picked a CC up is the University of Michigan and I am 5 miles east of Indy. So proper setup can yield interesting results

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 9, 2013
                                Amazing. You don't get an intermix with all those radios running thru a single coupler?

                                I think the NSA would find you a valuable candidate for hire...

                              • John Stark
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 10, 2013
                                  Nope no issues from radios or the 5 computers that are either running Unitrunker or ICOM software for those six radios or programing software for the radios.
                                  I use the radios for media purposes. I can monitor more than local paper or the area TV stations. What's funny though is when I call stations way up north or way down south of me and tell them about something in their area and they didn't hear it on their scanners but I did 90 miles away. It happens all the time that way.one station used to ignore me, not anymore after three calls of mine got them awards.... and the checks aren't bad either.....

                                • john szalay
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 10, 2013
                                    While your at it,  make sure you set  the FREQ & SAME code  for your local NWS alerts
                                    for Joplin,  the Freq is 162.425 mhz and the SAME code is Jasper/Joplin is   029097

                                    In the event you want the surrounding counties  SAME codes
                                    http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/CntyCov/nwrMO.htm

                                     Unless you want to listen to ALL the weather alerts tones go off for everyone around you, that is.
                                    during storm season, our weather radio used to go on & on , I prefer to set only our county, some people like
                                    to get what they consider as extra time warning , by entering a county west as well. too much noise..

                                                    John in Ky
                                    As for the height of your antenna,  my mast & beams were up at 56ft for 30+ years and it took the winds from Hurricane Ike to bring it down.. (fold over mast, so go it got serviced on a resonable time basis)