Re: [BCD396XT] Programming

  • JAN FINE
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
      Download Freescan software.
      Use it to download what is in your BC396T and upload it back up into the BC396xt. No problem.

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "JAN FINE" <janfine@...> wrote:

        > Download Freescan software.
        > Use it to download what is in your BC396T and upload it back up into the BC396xt. No problem.

        Exactly what I was trying to avoid - learning a new program...

        However, after reading your message I did download Freescan and because of a major shortage of time (and the 396T not being with me) I just read the 396XT so I could play with the software for a few minutes before I had to leave work. After it downloaded all the pre-loaded systems and the one I had manually entered, I had about 60 seconds to play with freescan. I could work on the last downloaded system, but for the life of me, could not figure out how to look at or work on a different system. Remember that I had 60 seconds to figure it out, so I'm sure it's there. I'll download Freescan at home where I have my 396T, 996T and all the system files. When I have more than 60 seconds I expect to be able to figure it out... I just did not want to have to learn a different programming package.

        Jim Walls
        jim@...
      • James F. Boehner, MD
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
          Confirmed!

          Freescan reads well from BCD396T, writes data to BCD396XT flawlessly!

          Now just need to figure out to tweak the file to take advantage of the new
          features of the XT radio!

          '73 de Jim N2ZZ

          > Use it to download what is in your BC396T and upload it back up into the
          > BC396xt. No problem.

        • W4KRR
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
            I did the same with my BCD996T; yes, it works very well, my new XT was programmed in a couple of minutes!

            Ken

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
              Hint: Remove the check for the simple view (or whatever it's called) to
              see the new features such as the backlight alert colors.

              Joe M.

              James F. Boehner, MD wrote:
              > Confirmed!
              >
              > Freescan reads well from BCD396T, writes data to BCD396XT flawlessly!
              >
              > Now just need to figure out to tweak the file to take advantage of the new
              > features of the XT radio!
              >

              > '73 de Jim N2ZZ

            • Jim Walls
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
                I wrote:
                > Exactly what I was trying to avoid - learning a new program...
                >
                > However, after reading your message I did download Freescan and because of a major shortage of time (and the 396T not being with me) I just read the 396XT so I could play with the software for a few minutes before I had to leave work. After it downloaded all the pre-loaded systems and the one I had manually entered, I had about 60 seconds to play with freescan. I could work on the last downloaded system, but for the life of me, could not figure out how to look at or work on a different system. Remember that I had 60 seconds to figure it out, so I'm sure it's there. I'll download Freescan at home where I have my 396T, 996T and all the system files. When I have more than 60 seconds I expect to be able to figure it out... I just did not want to have to learn a different programming package.

                Well, I wrote that on my home from work (I take rail transit in case
                someone thinks I typed that while driving). After I got home, I
                downloaded FreeScan and installed it. I then did exactly the same thing
                that I had done at work - I read the new BCD396XT that had the preloaded
                systems and the one I had manually loaded. What a different result.
                Here at home I had a full list of the systems in the left panel -
                EXACTLY where I expected it to be! I have no idea why it was not there
                at work...

                OK, so I am learning how to run this program...

                --
                73
                -------------------------------------
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
                  I saw the same thing. After you 'sort' it, it shows up.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
                    MCH wrote:
                    > I saw the same thing. After you 'sort' it, it shows up.

                    Thanks Joe. I will try that at work tomorrow. at least I know that I
                    was not losing my mind...

                    --
                    73
                    -------------------------------------
                    Jim Walls - K6CCC
                    jim@...
                    Ofc: 818-548-4804
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
                    AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395
                  • kd5pqv
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                      Which programming software is easiest when programming this scanner?
                    • johnstark
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                        Thats like asking what bottled water tastes best or which motor oil is best
                        for your vehicle.... everyone has their own opinions.....

                        > Which programming software is easiest when programming this scanner?

                      • kg6nuo
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                          I favor the bcTool. It lets be add, edit, delete, and control the radio via the com port. It is a bit pricey being FREE. Oh and it's not that hard to use.

                          Dave
                          kg6nuo

                          --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "kd5pqv" <kd5pqv1@...> wrote:

                          > Which programming software is easiest when programming this scanner?

                        • Peter Laws
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                            On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 21:47, kg6nuo <kg6nuo@...> wrote:
                            > I favor the bcTool.  It lets be add, edit, delete, and control the radio via the com port.  It is a bit pricey being FREE.  Oh and it's not that hard to use.

                            Yeah, and if it supported the 'XTs, it would be great. But it doesn't
                            ... and the author is on hiatus (working for pay - the nerve!)

                            In the meantime Freescan works acceptably.

                            What's the ETA on UASD?

                          • chrismason48
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "kd5pqv" <kd5pqv1@...> wrote:

                              > Which programming software is easiest when programming this scanner?

                              Would you take a free Hyundai or a BMW with all the bells and whistles like a GPS navigation system, auto cruise for 50 dollars? Can't fork over 50 dollars is another story then you have to get by with the Hyundai. It will get you from here to there but you may get lost without the GPS. It may be a noisy ride but you will get there.

                              Chris
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                                One minor issue: bcTool does not support the 396XT. It won't for at
                                least a few weeks according to the author. Great program, but not for
                                the XT.

                                Joe M.

                                kg6nuo wrote:
                                > I favor the bcTool. It lets be add, edit, delete, and control the radio via the com port. It is a bit pricey being FREE. Oh and it's not that hard to use.
                                >
                                > Dave
                                > kg6nuo
                                >
                                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "kd5pqv" <kd5pqv1@...> wrote:
                                >> Which programming software is easiest when programming this scanner?

                              • Andrew Smith
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
                                  I've been using bctools since it's inception, Thanks to Rob! and all his
                                  hard work! Your employer must be working you 24x7. I use bctools for my
                                  330T, 396 and 996 without many issues. Since Rob has been putting in so many
                                  hours in his real job, he hasn't been able to spend any time upgrading it
                                  for the 396XT yet. But good things come to those who wait...

                                  Regards,
                                  Andrew Smith

                                  <mailto:andrewsmith1@...> andrewsmith1@...

                                  *** This message is intended for the recipient/s only. If you are not the
                                  strictly prohibited by law. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail
                                  if you have received this e-mail by mistake and immediately delete this
                                  e-mail from your system. ***