Re: [BCD396XT] Antenna Options for my BCD396XT

  • Don.Curtis@att.net
    Message 1 of 39 , May 5, 2013
      Ok, looking at satellite images & a terrain overlay, Joplin to Springfield looks relatively flat.

      To answer a question you asked in another message, presuming a metal mast, the ground wire (SOLID WIRE) is attached to the bottom of the mast and run the shortest path to a ground rod. Yes, 8' to 10' ground rod hammered so only a few inches is above ground.

      Joplin is in thunder storm alley, you get frequent & severe thunder storms, I would NOT cheap it out on grounding and then hope for the best.

      I'd give you about a 60% chance of success, but I 'd suggest you drive I-44 and note the terrain, is it pretty flat, or is there a ridge line or fairly hilly section between Joplin & Springfield? That would help you gauge your chances of success.

    • Don.Curtis@att.net
      Message 39 of 39 , May 7, 2013
        No, the antenna does not take a separate ground. The mast mounting clamp grounds the portion of the antenna that needs to be grounded. So the mast ground acts as the antenna ground also.