Re: [BCD396XT] Antenna Options for my BCD396XT

  • Don.Curtis@att.net
    Message 1 of 39 , May 3, 2013
      Unless you're on a mountain top with a clear view of the city 75 miles away, it's unlikely you'll get the 460MHz signal, even the 150MHz would be iffy.

      TV antennas don't work unless they're mounted sideways. TV is horizontal polarized, mobile radio is vertical polarized.

      #10 or larger aluminium is good for ground, but unless you're willing to spend a lot if money on suppression equipment, don't count on "real" protection from a simple ground line. You also need supressors on the lead line. And, of course, a good copper plated 10' grounding stake driven fully into the ground.

      A simple splitter to combine two antenna leads for reception usually doesn't work unless you're real lucky with lead lengths. In fact, in many cases, it can make things worse due to line mismatch and SWR issues. Definitely a no-no for use with a transmitter.

      A switch is a better way to go.

    • Don.Curtis@att.net
      Message 39 of 39 , May 7, 2013
        No, the antenna does not take a separate ground. The mast mounting clamp grounds the portion of the antenna that needs to be grounded. So the mast ground acts as the antenna ground also.