Linking GPS to Android?

  • vbwyrde
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 12:33 PM
      Hi,

      I found this information:

      Connecting Your Scanner

      The GPS device must have a serial (RS-232) output, and be capable of outputting standard NMEA-0183 v3.01 compliant location data, and GGA/RMC data sentences at 4800 bps. Make sure that the cable terminates in a female, 9-pin serial connector and you select the correct baud rate (4800 bps) for the serial port.

      Could Android razrm could be used to connect to the BCD396XT using:

      http://www.brodit.com/product.html?locale=en&id=945021

      And this:

      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agbooth.usbgps&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hZ2Jvb3RoLnVzYmdwcyJd

      Would that work? Has anyone tried it? Or is there a better way to do that?

      Thanks!
    • John Stark
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 1:23 PM
        A better way.....buy and use the Uniden GPS Puck.
        Why anyone would use a cell phone for this is beyond me....waste of a phone. And when actually using it as a phone you couldn't use it for a GPS for the scanner...
        A dedicated GPS such as the one I mention is the only way to go. .I use two of them when traveling....and use the phone for a phone...

        vbwyrde <vbwyrde@...> wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I found this information:
        >
        >Connecting Your Scanner
        >
        >The GPS device must have a serial (RS-232) output, and be capable of outputting standard NMEA-0183 v3.01 compliant location data, and GGA/RMC data sentences at 4800 bps. Make sure that the cable terminates in a female, 9-pin serial connector and you select the correct baud rate (4800 bps) for the serial port.
        >
        >Could Android razrm could be used to connect to the BCD396XT using:
        >
        >http://www.brodit.com/product.html?locale=en&id=945021
        >
        >And this:
        >
        >https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agbooth.usbgps&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hZ2Jvb3RoLnVzYmdwcyJd
        >
        >Would that work? Has anyone tried it? Or is there a better way to do that?
        >
        >Thanks!

      • vbwyrde
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2 8:40 PM
          Ok. Thank you for the advice.