Re: [BCD396XT] USB-1 vs. Serial to USB Adapter

  • Matt Zinicola
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2013
      the chipset contained within the USB-1 is not supported by Windows 8 (per the
      excerpt below taken from the document "PL2302 Windows Driver User Manu
      v1.7.0.pdf"):

      You will need a USB-to-serial adapter that contains the PL2303 HX revision D,
      such as this one:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00425S1H8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      I had tested the USB-1 and found (on my own) that it did not work with Windows
      8. I stumbled upon the pdf mentioned above. I purchase the plugable model
      cited above and found it to work flawlessly under Windows 8.

      I hope that helps,
      Matt

      ---

      Document excerpt:

      USB Device with below PL-2303 chip versions and their supported OS Family:
      Chip Version
      Windows 2000 / XP
      (32 & 64 bit)
      Vista / Windows 7
      (32 & 64 bit)
      Windows 8
      (32 & 64 bit)
      PL-2303H Yes Yes Not Supported*
      PL-2303HX (Rev A) or HXA Yes Yes Not Supported*
      PL-2303X or XA Yes Yes Not Supported*
      PL-2303HX (Rev D) or HXD Yes Yes Yes
      PL2303TA Yes Yes Yes
      PL2303TB Yes Yes Yes
      PL2303EA Yes Yes Yes
      PL2303RA Yes Yes Yes
      PL2303SA Yes Yes Yes
      * - PL2303H, PL-2303HX (Rev A), and PL-2303X are EOL and discontinued chips and
      Prolific will not
      provide Windows 8 driver support. New driver versions will show yellow mark
      (Error Code 10) in Device
      Manager for these EOL chip versions under Windows 8. Prolific recommends using
      PL2303HXD chip

      Quoting ccm4181 <cm4181@...>:

      > I've had my BCD396XT for a few months now. I've used a very old computer
      > to program it up to this point with the included serial cable but the
      > computer doesn't work very well. I'd like to get either the USB-1 cable
      > Uniden sales but I've read some people have problems with it. Will it be
      > better to get the USB-1 cable or a serial to USB adapter? If it makes
      > any difference the computer I'd be using it with is running Windows 8.

    • Michael Stein
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2013
        Here is my recommendation for Windows 8. Buy the official Uniden USB-1
        cable, and then install the free version of VMware. Then install Windows XP
        in the VMware interface. I run Freescan in the VMware window (XP Pro) and
        have had no trouble with the USB cable. If you try to do it with plain
        Windows 8, you may have a frustrating experience.

      • Uniden UPMan
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2013
          Effective with our next incoming shipment from our supplier, the USB-1 will use the HX rD chipset. We need about 40 Windows 7 and earlier customers to step up and buy the USB-1 we have on hand. :)

          UpMan

          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2013
            Or a vendor. :-)

            Joe M.

            Uniden UPMan wrote:
            > Effective with our next incoming shipment from our supplier, the USB-1 will use the HX rD chipset. We need about 40 Windows 7 and earlier customers to step up and buy the USB-1 we have on hand. :)
            >
            > UpMan
            > UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before emailing me directly
            >

            >> ________________________________

          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2013
              How much? (Nudge,Nudge,,Wink,Wink):)

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@...> wrote:

              >We need about 40 Windows 7 and earlier customers to step up and buy the USB-1 we have on hand. :)
              >
              > UpMan
              > UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before emailing me directly
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 8 , May 12, 2013
                I'd be happy to help you out and purchase one at half price. :)

                Mike