USB-1 vs. Serial to USB Adapter

  • ccm4181
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2013
      I've had my BCD396XT for a few months now. I've used a very old computer
      to program it up to this point with the included serial cable but the
      computer doesn't work very well. I'd like to get either the USB-1 cable
      Uniden sales but I've read some people have problems with it. Will it be
      better to get the USB-1 cable or a serial to USB adapter? If it makes
      any difference the computer I'd be using it with is running Windows 8.
    • Matt Zinicola
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2013
        the chipset contained within the USB-1 is not supported by Windows 8 (per the
        excerpt below taken from the document "PL2302 Windows Driver User Manu
        v1.7.0.pdf"):

        You will need a USB-to-serial adapter that contains the PL2303 HX revision D,
        such as this one:

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00425S1H8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

        I had tested the USB-1 and found (on my own) that it did not work with Windows
        8. I stumbled upon the pdf mentioned above. I purchase the plugable model
        cited above and found it to work flawlessly under Windows 8.

        I hope that helps,
        Matt

        ---

        Document excerpt:

        USB Device with below PL-2303 chip versions and their supported OS Family:
        Chip Version
        Windows 2000 / XP
        (32 & 64 bit)
        Vista / Windows 7
        (32 & 64 bit)
        Windows 8
        (32 & 64 bit)
        PL-2303H Yes Yes Not Supported*
        PL-2303HX (Rev A) or HXA Yes Yes Not Supported*
        PL-2303X or XA Yes Yes Not Supported*
        PL-2303HX (Rev D) or HXD Yes Yes Yes
        PL2303TA Yes Yes Yes
        PL2303TB Yes Yes Yes
        PL2303EA Yes Yes Yes
        PL2303RA Yes Yes Yes
        PL2303SA Yes Yes Yes
        * - PL2303H, PL-2303HX (Rev A), and PL-2303X are EOL and discontinued chips and
        Prolific will not
        provide Windows 8 driver support. New driver versions will show yellow mark
        (Error Code 10) in Device
        Manager for these EOL chip versions under Windows 8. Prolific recommends using
        PL2303HXD chip

        Quoting ccm4181 <cm4181@...>:

        > I've had my BCD396XT for a few months now. I've used a very old computer
        > to program it up to this point with the included serial cable but the
        > computer doesn't work very well. I'd like to get either the USB-1 cable
        > Uniden sales but I've read some people have problems with it. Will it be
        > better to get the USB-1 cable or a serial to USB adapter? If it makes
        > any difference the computer I'd be using it with is running Windows 8.

      • Gary Saffer
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2013
          Get a serial adapter, but make sure that it doesn't have the Prolific
          chip set as they aren't compatible with Windows 8. I've used adapters
          with the FTDI chip set and they work fine with Windows 8.

          On 5/1/2013 16:55, ccm4181 wrote:
          > I've had my BCD396XT for a few months now. I've used a very old computer
          > to program it up to this point with the included serial cable but the
          > computer doesn't work very well. I'd like to get either the USB-1 cable
          > Uniden sales but I've read some people have problems with it. Will it be
          > better to get the USB-1 cable or a serial to USB adapter? If it makes
          > any difference the computer I'd be using it with is running Windows 8.

        • Michael Stein
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2013
            Here is my recommendation for Windows 8. Buy the official Uniden USB-1
            cable, and then install the free version of VMware. Then install Windows XP
            in the VMware interface. I run Freescan in the VMware window (XP Pro) and
            have had no trouble with the USB cable. If you try to do it with plain
            Windows 8, you may have a frustrating experience.

          • Uniden UPMan
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2013
              Effective with our next incoming shipment from our supplier, the USB-1 will use the HX rD chipset. We need about 40 Windows 7 and earlier customers to step up and buy the USB-1 we have on hand. :)

              UpMan

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2013
                Or a vendor. :-)

                Joe M.

                Uniden UPMan wrote:
                > Effective with our next incoming shipment from our supplier, the USB-1 will use the HX rD chipset. We need about 40 Windows 7 and earlier customers to step up and buy the USB-1 we have on hand. :)
                >
                > UpMan
                > UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before emailing me directly
                >

                >> ________________________________

              • David
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2013
                  How much? (Nudge,Nudge,,Wink,Wink):)

                  --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Uniden UPMan <uniden.upman@...> wrote:

                  >We need about 40 Windows 7 and earlier customers to step up and buy the USB-1 we have on hand. :)
                  >
                  > UpMan
                  > UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before emailing me directly
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 12, 2013
                    I'd be happy to help you out and purchase one at half price. :)

                    Mike