Re: [BCD396XT] Scanner stand / Serial to USB cable

  • Dean B. Dalrymple
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 25, 2013
      Would the stand you are referring to be the Watson QS-300 pictured here:
      http://www.radioworld.co.uk/catalog/qs-300_watson_adjustable_desk_stand_mount-p-8606.html
      I believe this is no longer available from the manufacture.

      The second item is a loaded question. Bottom line
      is that it's hit or miss if you get one that will
      actually work on your computer. Some people can,
      most people can't. Spend the money on the Uniden
      cable, download the drivers from Uniden, and save
      yourself the potential headaches and wasted money.

      Dean
      VA3DBD

      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 26, 2013
        For anyone having trouble with the link, check that your browser hasn't
        attached the comma to the end of the URL. If so, delete the comma.

        Joe M.

        Preston Ward wrote:
        > I have a really nice portable scanner mount made out of thick heavy steel with adjustable knobs at the bottom to set the angle however I want. Problem is, there's no name or phone number or anything on it, so I have no way to get another one. The one at scannermaster doesn't excite me too much, and this one seems OK: http://www.niftyaccessories.com/HT%20Stand.htm, but I'd prefer one like what I already have. Does anybody have any tips on where to get a nice scanner stand?
        >

        > Also, I think the price for a serial to USB cable is really high. $30 for a cable makes me feel like I'm getting ripped. I'm not sure which one of these works for the BCD396XT:
        > http://www.scannermaster.com/USB_Cable_p/01-551038.htm
        > http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_4_Serial_Cable_BC15_95_246_396_996_230_p/01-530894.htm,
        > but at Monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2) they've got what I believe is the same thing for $5.54, or $7.81 shipped. Both have the Prolific PL-2303 chipset. Has anyone here bought a "generic" serial to USB cable for their BCD396XT, or see any reason why the one from Monoprice wouldn't work just the same?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Preston Ward
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 26, 2013
          No mine looks more heavy duty than that one.  It looks professionally made, but I'm suspecting now it may have been made by someone who made them as a hobby and just doesn't sell them anymore.

          At 05:58 PM 4/25/2013, you wrote:

          >I have a really nice portable scanner mount made
          >out of thick heavy steel with adjustable knobs
          >at the bottom to set the angle however I
          >want.  Problem is, there's no name or phone
          >number or anything on it, so I have no way to
          >get another one.  The one at scannermaster
          >doesn't excite me too much, and this one seems
          >OK:
          ><http://www.niftyaccessories.com/HT%20Stand.htm,>http://www.niftyaccessories.com/HT%20Stand.htm,
          >but I'd prefer one like what I already
          >have.  Does anybody have any tips on where to get a nice scanner stand?
          >

          >Also, I think the price for a serial to USB
          >cable is really high.  $30 for a cable makes me
          >feel like I'm getting ripped.  I'm not sure
          >which one of these works for the BCD396XT:
          ><http://www.scannermaster.com/USB_Cable_p/01-551038.htm>http://www.scannermaster.com/USB_Cable_p/01-551038.htm
          >
          >http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_4_Serial_Cable_BC15_95_246_396_996_230_p/01-530894.htm,
          >but at Monoprice
          >(<http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2>http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2)
          >they've got what I believe is the same thing for
          >$5.54, or $7.81 shipped.  Both have the Prolific
          >PL-2303 chipset.  Has anyone here bought a
          >"generic" serial to USB cable for their
          >BCD396XT, or see any reason why the one from
          >Monoprice wouldn't work just the same?
          >
          >Thanks!

        • Mark Mitchell
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 26, 2013
            Preston,
            If the one you have is different could you send a picture of it? I hadn't
            really give it any thought about getting or making a stand for my
            HT/Scanner until you brought it up now I seem to really be interested.

            Thanks,
            Mark ~ Missouri

            Mark ~

          • Scott West
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 26, 2013
              Probably made by the Scanner Stand Man (tonsoffun on RadioReference). I
              can't find his webpage anymore. Had him build several stands for mobile and
              handheld scanners years ago. One of the best things I did to keep from
              stacking scanners.

              At 05:58 PM 4/25/2013, you wrote:

              >I have a really nice portable scanner mount made
              >out of thick heavy steel with adjustable knobs
              >at the bottom to set the angle however I
              >want.  Problem is, there's no name or phone
              >number or anything on it, so I have no way to
              >get another one.  The one at scannermaster
              >doesn't excite me too much, and this one seems
              >OK:
              ><http://www.niftyaccessories.com/HT%20Stand.htm,>http://www.niftyaccessorie
              s.com/HT%20Stand.htm,
              >but I'd prefer one like what I already
              >have.  Does anybody have any tips on where to get a nice scanner stand?
              >

              >Also, I think the price for a serial to USB
              >cable is really high.  $30 for a cable makes me
              >feel like I'm getting ripped.  I'm not sure
              >which one of these works for the BCD396XT:
              ><http://www.scannermaster.com/USB_Cable_p/01-551038.htm>http://www.scannerm
              aster.com/USB_Cable_p/01-551038.htm

              >http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_4_Serial_Cable_BC15_95_246_396_996_230_
              p/01-530894.htm,
              >but at Monoprice
              >(<http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=
              1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2>http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.a
              sp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2)
              >they've got what I believe is the same thing for
              >$5.54, or $7.81 shipped.  Both have the Prolific
              >PL-2303 chipset.  Has anyone here bought a
              >"generic" serial to USB cable for their
              >BCD396XT, or see any reason why the one from
              >Monoprice wouldn't work just the same?
              >
              >Thanks!
            • Preston Ward
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                Attached are four pics of my scanner stand. This is the one I'd like to replace but couldn't find one that lets me adjust the angle of it as mine does. So I just got one of these: http://www.niftyaccessories.com/HT%20Stand.htm

                I went with the genuine USB cable too. I didn't want the potential headaches of getting one that didn't work. I asked for a price match for what Amazon sells them for so the price difference wasn't so bad.  Ordered it all yesterday, should be here at the end of next week.

                Preston

                P.S. I don't know why it looks so dusty in the pics... I wiped it off before I took the pics of it.

                If the one you have is different could you send a picture of it? I hadn't
                really give it any thought about getting or making a stand for my
                HT/Scanner until you brought it up now I seem to really be interested.

                Thanks,
                Mark ~ Missouri

                On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > No mine looks more heavy duty than that one.  It looks professionally
                > made, but I'm suspecting now it may have been made by someone who made them
                > as a hobby and just doesn't sell them anymore.

                Mark ~

              • Preston Ward
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                  Apoparently I can only send one pic at a time...

                  If the one you have is different could you send a picture of it? I hadn't
                  really give it any thought about getting or making a stand for my
                  HT/Scanner until you brought it up now I seem to really be interested.

                  Thanks,
                  Mark ~ Missouri

                  On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > No mine looks more heavy duty than that one. It looks professionally
                  > made, but I'm suspecting now it may have been made by someone who made them
                  > as a hobby and just doesn't sell them anymore.

                  Mark ~

                • Preston Ward
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                    Apparently I can only send one pic at a time...

                    If the one you have is different could you send a picture of it? I hadn't
                    really give it any thought about getting or making a stand for my
                    HT/Scanner until you brought it up now I seem to really be interested.

                    Thanks,
                    Mark ~ Missouri

                    On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > No mine looks more heavy duty than that one. It looks professionally
                    > made, but I'm suspecting now it may have been made by someone who made them
                    > as a hobby and just doesn't sell them anymore.

                    Mark ~

                  • Preston Ward
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                      Last one...
                      (and it only took me 3 1/2 hours to get them sent, thanks to the stubborness of Yahoo mail)

                      If the one you have is different could you send a picture of it? I hadn't
                      really give it any thought about getting or making a stand for my
                      HT/Scanner until you brought it up now I seem to really be interested.

                      Thanks,
                      Mark ~ Missouri

                      On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > No mine looks more heavy duty than that one. It looks professionally
                      > made, but I'm suspecting now it may have been made by someone who made them
                      > as a hobby and just doesn't sell them anymore.

                      Mark ~

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                        is it because of the picture size?

                        On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Last one...
                        > (and it only took me 3 1/2 hours to get them sent, thanks to the
                        > stubborness of Yahoo mail)

                        Mark ~

                      • Preston Ward
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                          I have no idea... Yahoo just wouldn't send them out and I kept getting error messages that it was a problem on their end. Finally I just sent them one by one and it finally worked.

                          > (and it only took me 3 1/2 hours to get them sent, thanks to the
                          > stubborness of Yahoo mail)

                          Mark ~

                        • john szalay
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                            you'll have to send the photos direct to him by email at his address ,  the list removes the photos from the message

                                                                                            John in Ky

                            ________________________________

                            If the one you have is different could you send a picture of it? I hadn't
                            really give it any thought about getting or making a stand for my
                            HT/Scanner until you brought it up now I seem to really be interested.

                            Thanks,
                            Mark ~ Missouri

                            On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > No mine looks more heavy duty than that one.  It looks professionally
                            > made, but I'm suspecting now it may have been made by someone who made them
                            > as a hobby and just doesn't sell them anymore.

                            Mark ~

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                              Or better yet upload them to the PHOTOS section of the list.

                              Joe M.

                            • Dean B. Dalrymple
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                                You need to go to the group's page at Yahoo and
                                upload them to the file area. Attachments are
                                stripped from the messages when they are sent back out.

                              • Preston Ward
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                                  Don't know why I didn't think of that originally before going through all that...
                                  Anyway, they're in the Photos section now.

                                  john szalay wrote:
                                  > you'll have to send the photos direct to him by email at his address ,  the list removes the photos from the message
                                  >
                                  >                                                                 John in Ky

                                • piercescanning
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 27, 2013
                                    The Scanner Stands were last made about 4 years ago by Scannerstandman.com He quit making them when he became a Moderator on Radioreference.com Search on RR for more details.

                                    I have two of these excellent stands and they have a slot in the center top so you can slide the Scanner on and it won't slip off.

                                    You have to search Ebay for any chance of getting a Scanner Stand, That's how I got mine.