Re: [BCD396XT] Scrambled police calls - does anything work?

  • John Stark
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 25 1:05 PM
      A Motorola system sometimes referred to as MotoTurbo. More of a business type system that's trunked.

      Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

      >Stupid question, but what's TRBO?

    • Preston Ward
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 25 1:39 PM
        John,

        Did you see this post below?  Judging from the link, it looks to me like only three channels are encrypted (unless there's something I'm unaware of).

        Preston

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 25 4:36 PM
          Yep saw that, appears your more fortunate then us,  here, all the tac talkgroups,  SWAT , detective
          are encrypted.    only the dispatch remain in clear

          5 TG in the clear,  almost 40 TG encrypted

          even the on-line feed was disabled, when it was reported that the perps were using smartphones to
          monitor the dispatch feed.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 25 5:23 PM
            Preston,
            did you catch the other link that UPMAN sent that had the Turbo in it it
            also had a MDT one as well and my guess is that that one also would be
            worthless because of the data stream noise.. but on the bright side MOSWIN
            is coming on and you will be able to monitor it as well. I am gettting hits
            on it for Trp D now and then.

            Cheers,
            Mark _ Spfld, Mo

            On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM, john szalay <surfer2450@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Yep saw that, appears your more fortunate then us, here, all the tac
            > talkgroups, SWAT , detective
            > are encrypted. only the dispatch remain in clear
            >
            > 5 TG in the clear, almost 40 TG encrypted
            >
            > even the on-line feed was disabled, when it was reported that the perps
            > were using smartphones to
            > monitor the dispatch feed.
            >

            > ________________________________

            Mark ~

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 26 5:29 AM
              About the police telling you everything is scrambled:

              Years ago before digital scanners, if anything was digital, it was not monitorable on a scanner.

              It's possible the officer you spoke with still has this view.

              In some ways it's still true. Years ago when digital was first being implemented, analog scanners were fairly cheap -- some less than $100 -- and "anyone" could listen. We do have digital scanners now, but they're not in the price range of the average joe who wants to listen to the cops. You have to be wealthy, a hobbyist, or REALLY interested to shell out the multiple hundreds of dollars for a digital scanner.

              Scott
            • Preston Ward
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 26 11:27 AM
                That's kinda what I suspected re: my local cops telling me that everything is scrambled, and that you had to be wealthy, a hobbyist, or *really* interested in what they were saying to hear them.  Because I now live in tornado alley and in a place many of you have probably heard about before (Joplin, MO), I really do want to hear what they're saying during those times when there's a tornado close by.  When the EF-5/6 hit on May 22, 2011, the most memorable thing I remember hearing was "Where do we put these body parts?" (not that I have a morbid fascination or anything, I just want to know what's going on around here), and I knew if there were radios that worked for the police, then there *had* to be a way to listen in.

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 26 4:50 PM
                  MDT is a Mobile Data Terminal in Laymans Terms it is a laptop computer
                  which can send a complete message in milliseconds, no audio.
                  MOSWIN is the new Missouri Inter-agency Network that the Highway Patrol is
                  migrating to as well as other agencies.
                  TRBO marked as a future dispatch channel. I am too far away to receive
                  Joplin or Jasper County to know if it truly is still offline or not or if
                  it is scrambled/encrypted or not ect.

                  I understand your concerns about the weather and all having had been within
                  a block of a tornado that touch down out in Kansas about 15 years ago
                  ripping the back glass out of the vehicle I was in and I caught the wind,
                  rain and Hail literally for what seemed like forever.
                  just know that most LEOs use whatever means necessary to communicate and
                  really I think that everyone was caught off guard that day. there are many
                  agencies that respond to that kind of situation so the repeaters outside of
                  the area would have been used and more than likely the inter agency
                  frequencies were used.
                  I would go to NOAA and get the same codes for the counties surrounding and
                  the one you are in that way you aren't caught off guard as easy.
                  How long have you been scanning the waves? or are you just getting started.

                  Mark

                  On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > That's kinda what I suspected re: my local cops telling me that everything
                  > is scrambled, and that you had to be wealthy, a hobbyist, or *really*
                  > interested in what they were saying to hear them. Because I now live in
                  > tornado alley and in a place many of you have probably heard about before
                  > (Joplin, MO), I really do want to hear what they're saying during those
                  > times when there's a tornado close by. When the EF-5/6 hit on May 22,
                  > 2011, the most memorable thing I remember hearing was "Where do we put
                  > these body parts?" (not that I have a morbid fascination or anything, I
                  > just want to know what's going on around here), and I knew if there were
                  > radios that worked for the police, then there *had* to be a way to listen
                  > in.

                  Mark ~

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 26 5:23 PM
                    As a added bonus I would add the frequencies for the Jasper County Storm
                    Spotters as well.

                    Mark

                    --
                    Mark ~