Re: [BCD396XT] The perfect mobile

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24 3:30 PM
      That'll work. Either cut off the TNC and put on a BNC, or get an
      appropriate adaptor to fit your radio.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 24 9:33 PM
        I would recommend the adapter. That way, when/if
        it wears out connector replacement is quick-n-easy.

        Same with the connector on the 396 - I use BNC antennas,
        so using the adapter means I can replace the antenna connector
        that will wear out (the BNC) in seconds and anywhere.

        Joe M.

        Mike wrote:
        > That'll work. Either cut off the TNC and put on a BNC, or get an
        > appropriate adaptor to fit your radio.
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > On 4/24/2013 5:02 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
        >> I got a old one that has a TNC connector and a spiral in the center does
        >> that count?
        >>
        >> Mark ~ Missouri
        >>

        >> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM, john szalay <surfer2450@...> wrote:
        >
        >> These can be found for little or nothing nowadays since today's phones >
        >>> don't have external antenna connections anymore.
        >>>
        >>> Shame too, , we found traveling out west, that an external cell phone
        >>> antenna really extends the range
        >>> when your away from the interstate corridors.
        >>>
        >>> John in Ky
        >>>
        >>> ________________________________

      • Mark Mitchell
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 25 2:58 PM
          Sorry it took so long to respond, I was planning on getting the right angle
          solderless bnc adapter for that old antenna because it is cheaper than
          buying a tnc~bnc adapter and I don't have a mobile phone that uses it
          anymore so cutting it isn't gonna be a problem... I am trying to wrap my
          mind around the comment about it is easier to change the connector. I
          haven't priced the sma~bnc adapter that comes with the radio but wouldn't
          the number of connections add to signal loss even as small as it might be.
          I just decided to go with the BNC as it is an all around connector beside
          the pl-359.

          Mark ~ Missouri

          --
          Mark ~

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 26 7:53 AM
            I can see Joe's point, especially if you are connecting and reconnecting
            the antennas several times a day. Personally, I don't like a stack of
            adaptors/connectors, so I went the route of putting a BNC right on the
            antenna coax for a cleaner look and as you say, slightly less loss. Now
            I have a scanner with an SMA connector built in (Which I'm sure Uniden
            did to save space) so I still need the adaptor on that radio.

            On Joe's point though, each time you disconnect and reconnect an RF
            connector, you slightly degrade the connection points, and also can
            produce microscopic metal flakes and particles that can build up within
            the connector surfaces. In my day job, we've proven this with PIM
            (Passive InterModulation) testing, and our tower crews must now blow out
            all connectors with high-pressure compressed air before mating them.
            Not so much a problem on receive-only applications like a scanner, but
            still a consideration when every micro-volt of signal helps.

            Mike

          • Mark Mitchell
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 26 3:48 PM
              Agreed..LOL
              'course I don't expect R/S to ever carry the sma/bnc adapter that is bound
              to wear out sometime I try not to move mine much. I bought it for a mobile
              and when I seen it toook only three batteries I was impressed and the size
              sold/sealed the deal, little did I know then.

              Mark ~ Missouri

              --
              Mark ~