Re: [BCD396XT] The perfect mobile

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
      Lot of good suggestions here. Personally, I use a cellular telephone
      mag-mount antenna that was popular with the old analog bag phones.
      About 15" long with an open coil section in the middle. It works great
      for 800 MHz systems, and seems to work quite well on VHF and ok on UHF.
      These can be found for little or nothing nowadays since today's phones
      don't have external antenna connections anymore.

      Mike

      On 4/24/2013 7:31 AM, Michael Hopkins wrote:
      > In the car, I have a 2m/440MHz mag mount that works well on all the scanner frequencies, including the 800MHz trunked systems. Several manufacturers make them and I I’ve used Diamond and others with equal success (the Diamond lasts longer!). Not much left of interest to me on the lower VHF bands (below 50MHz) but the mag mount would likely work better on those frequencies than any hand held antenna.
      >
      > FYI for portable use, I found the Diamond H77CA works exceptionally well with the scanner. It’s about 15 inches long (38cm) and provides some gain over the standard short antennas.
      >
      > My 2 cents…
      >
      > Mike Hopkins K1VLB
      >
      > Mhopkins735@...

    • john szalay
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
        > These can be found for little or nothing nowadays since today's phones > don't have external antenna connections anymore.

        Shame too,  , we found traveling out west,  that an external cell phone antenna really extends the range
        when your away from the interstate corridors.

                                     John in Ky

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
          I got a old one that has a TNC connector and a spiral in the center does
          that count?

          Mark ~ Missouri

          On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM, john szalay <surfer2450@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > > These can be found for little or nothing nowadays since today's phones >
          > don't have external antenna connections anymore.
          >
          > Shame too, , we found traveling out west, that an external cell phone
          > antenna really extends the range
          > when your away from the interstate corridors.
          >
          > John in Ky
          >
          > ________________________________

          Mark ~

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
            That'll work. Either cut off the TNC and put on a BNC, or get an
            appropriate adaptor to fit your radio.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 24, 2013
              I would recommend the adapter. That way, when/if
              it wears out connector replacement is quick-n-easy.

              Same with the connector on the 396 - I use BNC antennas,
              so using the adapter means I can replace the antenna connector
              that will wear out (the BNC) in seconds and anywhere.

              Joe M.

              Mike wrote:
              > That'll work. Either cut off the TNC and put on a BNC, or get an
              > appropriate adaptor to fit your radio.
              >
              > Mike
              >
              > On 4/24/2013 5:02 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:
              >> I got a old one that has a TNC connector and a spiral in the center does
              >> that count?
              >>
              >> Mark ~ Missouri
              >>

              >> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM, john szalay <surfer2450@...> wrote:
              >
              >> These can be found for little or nothing nowadays since today's phones >
              >>> don't have external antenna connections anymore.
              >>>
              >>> Shame too, , we found traveling out west, that an external cell phone
              >>> antenna really extends the range
              >>> when your away from the interstate corridors.
              >>>
              >>> John in Ky
              >>>
              >>> ________________________________

            • Mark Mitchell
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013
                Sorry it took so long to respond, I was planning on getting the right angle
                solderless bnc adapter for that old antenna because it is cheaper than
                buying a tnc~bnc adapter and I don't have a mobile phone that uses it
                anymore so cutting it isn't gonna be a problem... I am trying to wrap my
                mind around the comment about it is easier to change the connector. I
                haven't priced the sma~bnc adapter that comes with the radio but wouldn't
                the number of connections add to signal loss even as small as it might be.
                I just decided to go with the BNC as it is an all around connector beside
                the pl-359.

                Mark ~ Missouri

                --
                Mark ~

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013
                  I can see Joe's point, especially if you are connecting and reconnecting
                  the antennas several times a day. Personally, I don't like a stack of
                  adaptors/connectors, so I went the route of putting a BNC right on the
                  antenna coax for a cleaner look and as you say, slightly less loss. Now
                  I have a scanner with an SMA connector built in (Which I'm sure Uniden
                  did to save space) so I still need the adaptor on that radio.

                  On Joe's point though, each time you disconnect and reconnect an RF
                  connector, you slightly degrade the connection points, and also can
                  produce microscopic metal flakes and particles that can build up within
                  the connector surfaces. In my day job, we've proven this with PIM
                  (Passive InterModulation) testing, and our tower crews must now blow out
                  all connectors with high-pressure compressed air before mating them.
                  Not so much a problem on receive-only applications like a scanner, but
                  still a consideration when every micro-volt of signal helps.

                  Mike

                • Mark Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 26, 2013
                    Agreed..LOL
                    'course I don't expect R/S to ever carry the sma/bnc adapter that is bound
                    to wear out sometime I try not to move mine much. I bought it for a mobile
                    and when I seen it toook only three batteries I was impressed and the size
                    sold/sealed the deal, little did I know then.

                    Mark ~ Missouri

                    --
                    Mark ~