Re: [BCD396XT] Freescan vs. ARCXT

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
      Either one will "get you there", and they are similar in a lot of ways.
      I had problems getting both Freescan and Pro96Com to display properly on
      my main laptop and in my haste I spent the $70 on ARC-XT Pro, which
      works perfectly on my laptop and I've come to prefer it over Freescan.
      In the meantime, I discovered that my display problems stemmed from
      having changed my PC's DPI setting from the default 96 to 120 in order
      to make things on the screen larger for these aging eyes. I set the
      dots-per-inch back to 96 in my display properties and both Freescan and
      Pro96Com now display as they should, albeit in somewhat small type.

      Freescan is, of course, free. So try it and see how it works for you.
      ARC-XT has a time-limited and upload-limited trial version, so I suggest
      you give it a try also and see if it's worth the $$'s for you. To me,
      ARC-XT Pro is a bit more intuitive and has a cleaner look to it, but
      that's just me. The virtual control screen in ARC-XT is also larger and
      easier to see, with great logging options.

      Mike

      On 4/23/2013 2:48 PM, Preston Ward wrote:
      > Hey everyone -
      >
      > I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro. I hate to have to shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have to. I've never used either so I really don't know anything about them. So what are your opinions on which to get?
      >
      > Thanks
    • Thomas Makofski
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
        I have been comparing FreeScan to both ARCXT and ProScan. I actually prefer
        FreeScan. ARCXT and ProScan offer a trial period for their programs so you can
        compare them with FreeScan for yourself. I personally have no use for the extra
        features that ARCXT and ProScan give.

        Tom Makofski

        photo gallery
        http://tmak.smugmug.com/

        newifree-mo
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
          ARC software has a 30 day trial before it's required to purchase. So after
          you obtain the BCD396XT, give ARC a try and you can decide for yourself. Of
          course FreeSCAN is free but the author does welcome any donation.
          I use and prefer ARC-XT Pro, mainly because of it logging feature and the
          layout of the software.

          Clark

          At 12:48 PM 4/23/2013, you wrote:

          >Hey everyone -
          >
          >I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of
          >you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan
          >or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro. I hate to have to
          >shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have
          >to. I've never used either so I really don't know anything about
          >them. So what are your opinions on which to get?
          >
          >Thanks
        • ppreston69
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2013
            Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like it's six of one half dozen of the other, but I'll try them both out, maybe Proscan too.

            > ________________________________

          • Tony Langdon
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2013
              On 24/04/13 5:48 AM, Preston Ward wrote:
              > Hey everyone -
              >
              > I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro. I hate to have to shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have to. I've never used either so I really don't know anything about them. So what are your opinions on which to get?

              I've only used Freescan, and find it works very well. No issues
              whatsoever. I haven't felt a need to investigate the alternatives, as
              Freescan does what I need well.

              --
              73 de Tony VK3JED
              http://vkradio.com