Freescan vs. ARCXT

  • Preston Ward
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
      Hey everyone -

      I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro.  I hate to have to shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have to.  I've never used either so I really don't know anything about them.  So what are your opinions on which to get?

      Thanks

    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
        I don't have a single bad thing to say about Freescan. I use it with
        RadioReference to program my BCD396XT, and I've recently used the realtime
        control/logging feature. It does both of these things well.

        Tom

        On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hey everyone -
        >
        > I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of
        > you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan
        > or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro. I hate to have to
        > shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have to.
        > I've never used either so I really don't know anything about them. So what
        > are your opinions on which to get?
        >
        > Thanks

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
          Either one will "get you there", and they are similar in a lot of ways.
          I had problems getting both Freescan and Pro96Com to display properly on
          my main laptop and in my haste I spent the $70 on ARC-XT Pro, which
          works perfectly on my laptop and I've come to prefer it over Freescan.
          In the meantime, I discovered that my display problems stemmed from
          having changed my PC's DPI setting from the default 96 to 120 in order
          to make things on the screen larger for these aging eyes. I set the
          dots-per-inch back to 96 in my display properties and both Freescan and
          Pro96Com now display as they should, albeit in somewhat small type.

          Freescan is, of course, free. So try it and see how it works for you.
          ARC-XT has a time-limited and upload-limited trial version, so I suggest
          you give it a try also and see if it's worth the $$'s for you. To me,
          ARC-XT Pro is a bit more intuitive and has a cleaner look to it, but
          that's just me. The virtual control screen in ARC-XT is also larger and
          easier to see, with great logging options.

          Mike

          On 4/23/2013 2:48 PM, Preston Ward wrote:
          > Hey everyone -
          >
          > I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro. I hate to have to shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have to. I've never used either so I really don't know anything about them. So what are your opinions on which to get?
          >
          > Thanks
        • John Stark
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
            I say go with FreeScan....does everything Arc does and doesn't cost $70....although a donation would help the author keep up hid excellent work. FreeScans a lot less buggy and getting ahold of the author is easy if you have an issue. Can't say that with Arc as I waited two years after purchasing one of his programs and never got a single reply to the issue. So I stick with what works and if there is a problem Assaf is very responsive.

            Preston Ward <ppreston69@...> wrote:

            >Hey everyone -

            >I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro.  I hate to have to shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have to.  I've never used either so I really don't know anything about them.  So what are your opinions on which to get?

            >Thanks

          • Thomas Makofski
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
              I have been comparing FreeScan to both ARCXT and ProScan. I actually prefer
              FreeScan. ARCXT and ProScan offer a trial period for their programs so you can
              compare them with FreeScan for yourself. I personally have no use for the extra
              features that ARCXT and ProScan give.

              Tom Makofski

              photo gallery
              http://tmak.smugmug.com/

              newifree-mo
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
                ARC software has a 30 day trial before it's required to purchase. So after
                you obtain the BCD396XT, give ARC a try and you can decide for yourself. Of
                course FreeSCAN is free but the author does welcome any donation.
                I use and prefer ARC-XT Pro, mainly because of it logging feature and the
                layout of the software.

                Clark

                At 12:48 PM 4/23/2013, you wrote:

                >Hey everyone -
                >
                >I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of
                >you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan
                >or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro. I hate to have to
                >shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have
                >to. I've never used either so I really don't know anything about
                >them. So what are your opinions on which to get?
                >
                >Thanks
              • ppreston69
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 24, 2013
                  Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like it's six of one half dozen of the other, but I'll try them both out, maybe Proscan too.

                  > ________________________________

                • Tony Langdon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 24, 2013
                    On 24/04/13 5:48 AM, Preston Ward wrote:
                    > Hey everyone -
                    >
                    > I haven't gotten a BXT396XT yet but am about to get one, so for those of you who have software for it, I'm wondering if I should just get Freescan or if it's worth it to buy the ARCXT Basic, or Pro. I hate to have to shell out another $35 or $70 but if it's really worth it I'll have to. I've never used either so I really don't know anything about them. So what are your opinions on which to get?

                    I've only used Freescan, and find it works very well. No issues
                    whatsoever. I haven't felt a need to investigate the alternatives, as
                    Freescan does what I need well.

                    --
                    73 de Tony VK3JED
                    http://vkradio.com