Re: [BCD396XT] Garbled Transmissions

  • John Stark
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
      OK...that's good :-)

      Thomas Makofski <tmak26@...> wrote:

      >Yes I do, that was the very first thung I checked when I got the scanner.
      > Thanks.
      >

      >Tom Makofski
      >
      >photo gallery
      >http://tmak.smugmug.com/
      >

      >newifree-mo
      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413
      >

      >________________________________

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
        My thanks to Joe too! I also monitor the Winnebago County, WI P25
        system and have played and played with the P25 mode and level settings
        with no real noticeable difference to the garble on this system. The
        digital and analog AGC for this system was turned on and I don't really
        know why. I turned both off and have noticed a distinct improvement to
        the audio on several talk groups of this system. Never would have guessed.

        I originally downloaded this system direct from RadioReference.com, so I
        wonder if there was something in that download that would have turned on
        the digital AGC?

        Mike

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
          You're both very welcome. It's something I learned very quickly on
          the PRO-96 (circa 2005) when my local TRS sounded "underwater".

          The short explanation is that if you have a low signal, the system AGC
          will raise it, but the scanner AGC will raise it, too. Of course once
          the system raises it, it will be too high and your scanner will then see
          the need to lower it. This happens so fast (several times each second),
          it creates an underwater or garbled effect. The two AGCs are actually
          competing with each other.

          I don't know if RR DLs that setting or not - it might be a default in
          the software.

          Joe M.

          Mike wrote:
          > My thanks to Joe too! I also monitor the Winnebago County, WI P25
          > system and have played and played with the P25 mode and level settings
          > with no real noticeable difference to the garble on this system. The
          > digital and analog AGC for this system was turned on and I don't really
          > know why. I turned both off and have noticed a distinct improvement to
          > the audio on several talk groups of this system. Never would have guessed.
          >
          > I originally downloaded this system direct from RadioReference.com, so I
          > wonder if there was something in that download that would have turned on
          > the digital AGC?
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > On 4/15/2013 5:39 PM, Thomas Makofski wrote:
          >> Thanks Joe and John. I turned off the AGC and my garbling is mostly gone. A
          >> very noticeable difference!
          >>
          >> Tom Makofski
        • Thomas Makofski
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
            Mike, I think having the AGC on or off is selectable in FreeScan during the
            uploading process.