Re: [BCD396XT] Please help?

  • Mark Mitchell
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
      Liz,
      The only thing left is the optional gps and a cigarette lighter adapter of
      which you will need if you do much listening away from a 115 vac supply
      source as if yours is like mine a power hog..I listen about 4+- hrs and the
      3 batteries are flat what a real bummer and since it is a special power
      configuration you won't find it at you rs or wally world.

      Mark

      Springfield, Missouri

      On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Liz <italian_lady_us@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > We live in Maine
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >

      > On Apr 14, 2013, at 10:11 PM, john szalay <surfer2450@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Where are you located,,? if your email address is any indication,
      > appears to be in Maine.
      > >
      > > there may be someone near on the group that can assist. I,ve set up 2
      > other units here in Ky (besides my own)
      > > using Freescan, its not that hard once you decide what which systems you
      > want to scan.
      > >
      > > What I did, was look at some of the programs that others had set up and
      > placed on RR,
      > > and used those as a basis for setting up the program for our own area..
      > >
      > > Take a look at freescan , its a start...
      > >
      > > John in ky.
      > >
      > > ________________________________

      Mark ~

    • Alex
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
        Actually you can find an adapter at Radio Shack for the radio. The radio wants 6 volts on the power connector (the specification is molded right into the case under the jack 6V at 800mA). You must buy one of the universal adapters such as the enercell 2500mA adapter (catalog 273-366). One of the switch settings is for 6 volts. It will work just fine. The regulator in the adapter is a switching-type regulator so it will regulate to exactly 6 volts and supply whatever current the load demands up to the regulator's maximum of 2500mA (so in this case it's ok that the radio says 800mA and the regulator says 2500mA, the regulator won't supply more than the radio needs).

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
          If you are never going to charge batteries inside the radio, then you don't need an adapter with such a high current capacity.
          300ma is plenty to cover current draw with the volume up, and backlight on. Here's an excerpt from Radio Reference Forum:

          Ok I took several measurements of the actual current draw with different backlight settings on my BCD396XT. It may help some of you understand how much battery drain there is and subsequent reduction in operating time per set of batteries.
          1. Radio on Hold. Low band frequency (highest current draw of all the bands) Audio muted (squelched) No backlight, 163 ma. (other bands were in the 150-160 ma. area)
          2. Opened squelch- Audio level 7, 178 ma,
          3. Then, put light on infinite. Squelched radio again. I took readings for each color and intensity setting:

          COLOR-----LOW-----MED-----HIGH

          GREEN-----177-----187-----204
          CYAN-------183------202-----233
          YELLOW---184-----204-----240
          WHITE-------190-----217-----265
          BLUE---------177----187------204
          RED----------178-----190-----210
          MAGNETA-185-----204-----238

          So, if you use the green color light on low, it takes about 10% more current. So if your batteries lasted 10 hours with no light they will last 9 hours with a continuous green backlight.If your batteries lasted 15 hours with no light, they will last about 13.5 hours with it on.
          And yes, the previous poster was correct. The white light does draw much more current then the others.
          Bob

          Also, the radio shack right angle adapter plugs that come with the universal power adapter, are NOT exactly spec with regards to the diameter of the plugs
          themselves, they are a little loose, which potential could be a problem if you accidentally yanked on the DC cable. I noticed the play in the adapter plug after
          buying one from RS. So, I went looking for an exact fitting one.

          Radio shack's B plug within the set is loose fitting. FYI.

        • Alex
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
            I know you don't need the high current capacity but they didn't have anything with a lower rating listed in the catalog. I brought up the rating only to make sure to point out that it was OK to have the higher rated adapter on the radio. Some people take the written current on devices as an absolute and then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find something with that exact rating. That's only necessary for very cheap transformer-based AC adapters but almost all new adapters (AC and DC) are switchmode power supplies so the situation doesn't apply anymore. This particular enercell unit is a switchmode supply so as long as the voltage matches and the current is greater than whatever the radio wants, the buyer is good.

            It is true that the adapters are not quite right but that's because they're following alternate specs. There are actually two slightly different specifications for coaxial barrel connectors. Radio Shack chose one that will fit reasonably well in both types of specification jacks but the result is a loose fit as you point out. If a person is handy with a soldering iron (or knows one who is) then it's not hard to buy an exact plug and replace the one on the adapter.

            In my case I built my own adapter because I wanted greater flexibility. It's a switchmode fixed at 6 volts but has plenty of capacity (about 5 amps) to run the 396 as well as a couple other devices that want 6 volts, too. I have it set up with Anderson power poles so I can plug it into my car (which has a block of Andersons under the dash), a sealed lead acid battery (2.5 Ah, relatively easy to carry and runs the radio for about 12 hours or one of my larger batteries), or to any other car with a lighter plug to Anderson adapter. At my desk at work I have a 12 volt wall wart to feed the regulator. The Uniden wall wart stays at home on the desk there.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
              Alex,

              Where did you source the pin plug for the radio? is it right angle?

              Digi tech catalog?

              I was trying to source the right angle adapter plug sets that come with these generic AC/DC adapters.

            • Alex
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                Yes, the plug is right angle. It's Digi-Key CP-2198-ND. Fits very well.

> [...]
                > >
                > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance <milcom_chaser@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > If you are never going to charge batteries inside the radio, then you don't need an adapter with such a high current capacity.
                > > > 300ma is plenty to cover current draw with the volume up, and backlight on. Here's an excerpt from Radio Reference Forum:
                > > >

                > > > Also, the radio shack right angle adapter plugs that come with the universal power adapter, are NOT exactly spec with regards to the diameter of the plugs
                > > > themselves, they are a little loose, which potential could be a problem if you accidentally yanked on the DC cable. I noticed the play in the adapter plug after
                > > > buying one from RS. So, I went looking for an exact fitting one.
                > > >
                > > > Radio shack's B plug within the set is loose fitting. FYI.

              • Mark Mitchell
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 16, 2013
                  Thank you both for this new information and as I said my radio only last
                  about four hours before it starts beeping low battery. I have the MOSWIN
                  and the Missouri Dept of Public Safety in it and have half of the DPS
                  locked out. No priority, no Close Call and no Alert. I got a hit Sunday
                  afternoon on the Moswin for Fair Grove and once in a while I get a hit on
                  the Trp D Base and a hit on the Mobile Repeater 2 for Branson other than
                  that it is in the Battery Save mode if it has one or it is just scanning.
                  I have burned a pro-92/96 and my 97 boards by trying to charge in the radio
                  I will not try that again ever and I have the switch set to alkaline.
                  I have a old Digi-Key catalog but have never ordered from them I know that
                  some companies require a minimum order.
                  I will say that you have to have at least the 800 ma or at least I get the
                  Illegal voltage.

                  Mark

                  Mark ~

                • Alex
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 17, 2013
                    The Digi-key part number is for a connector only, not a power supply. That was in reply to Lance's question about a properly fitting connector. You would need either Uniden's adapter or the Radio Shack adapter that I mentioned earlier.

                    800mA is only a current rating not a voltage rating. You would need at least 5.5 volts on the output of your regulator to avoid the Illegal Voltage error. The only place this comes into play is if the adapter you use is rated so low (like 6 V at 100 mA) that the current draw causes the output voltage to sag. The Radio Shack unit won't have that problem since it's rated for over two amps. Uniden's unit is obviously matched to the radio so it won't have a problem either. But anything else you find has to provide enough or it will sag.