Re: [BCD396XT] Garbled Transmissions

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
      Not necessarily *the* answer, but you might want to try disabling the
      AGCs. Reason being: If they use AGC on the system, and they very likely
      do, it will compete with the AGC in the scanner and cause issues.

      Is this a simulcast system? Nevermind - I see from RR that it is. No
      matter how strong a site is, it's never so strong that another site
      can't interfere with it, so you are likely receiving simulcast
      distortion. The only real solution is to use an antenna pointed toward
      the strongest site, or if portable try to put your scanner in a location
      that only picks up one site.

      Joe M.

      Tom wrote:
      > I have had my 396XT for less than a week so be kind to me!
      >
      > I am located in Menasha, Winnebago County, Wisconsin and I use Freescan to program my scanner from the RR database. My concern right now is about the garbled transmissions which come through frequently..
      >
      > What causes this garble? Do I have something setup wrong? Winnebago County is just changing over to the P25 system so might this be something on their end that needs adjustment. Is there something I should adjust on my end?
      >
      > In my system setup I have:
      >
      > Type: P25 Standard
      > General Options: Use Motorola End Code is checked
      > Use Motorola Digital end Code is checked
      >
      > XT Options checked: Enable Analog AGC
      > Enable Digital AGC
      >
      > I have watched the RSSI in the Freescan log and I noticed the garbel happens even when the RSSI is above 500.
      >
      > Sooooo. . . point me in the right direction to elliminate or lessen the garble if that's possible!
      >
      > Tom
      > Menasha, Winnebago, Wisconsin

    • Thomas Makofski
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
        Thank Joe, I'll turn my AGC off.

        One other concern I have is that it seems like at times I will miss the first
        couple of seconds in their transmission which means that at times I haven't been
        able to ID the unit calling. Is the anything I can do about that??

        Tom Makofski

        photo gallery
        http://tmak.smugmug.com/

        newifree-mo
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

        ________________________________

        Tom wrote:
        > I have had my 396XT for less than a week so be kind to me!
        >
        > I am located in Menasha, Winnebago County, Wisconsin and I use Freescan to
        >program my scanner from the RR database. My concern right now is about the
        >garbled transmissions which come through frequently..
        >
        > What causes this garble? Do I have something setup wrong? Winnebago County is
        >just changing over to the P25 system so might this be something on their end
        >that needs adjustment. Is there something I should adjust on my end?
        >
        > In my system setup I have:
        >
        > Type: P25 Standard
        > General Options: Use Motorola End Code is checked
        > Use Motorola Digital end Code is checked
        >
        > XT Options checked: Enable Analog AGC
        > Enable Digital AGC
        >
        > I have watched the RSSI in the Freescan log and I noticed the garbel happens
        >even when the RSSI is above 500.
        >

        > Sooooo. . . point me in the right direction to elliminate or lessen the garble
        >if that's possible!
        >
        > Tom
        > Menasha, Winnebago, Wisconsin

        >02:05:00

      • John Stark
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
          In addition to what Joe points out do a search if the archives as there are many prior questions about this and there are many causes as well. Some you can deal with and some you can't. But the archives have every possible fix or reason for garbled transmissions.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
            Thanks Joe and John. I turned off the AGC and my garbling is mostly gone. A
            very noticeable difference!

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
              Also do you have the latest firmware? This fixes a lot of simulcast issues.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
                Scan fewer systems?

                Joe M.

                Thomas Makofski wrote:
                > One other concern I have is that it seems like at times I will miss the first
                > couple of seconds in their transmission which means that at times I haven't been
                > able to ID the unit calling. Is the anything I can do about that??
                >

                > Tom Makofski
              • Thomas Makofski
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
                  Yes I do, that was the very first thung I checked when I got the scanner.
                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
                    OK...that's good :-)

                    Thomas Makofski <tmak26@...> wrote:

                    >Yes I do, that was the very first thung I checked when I got the scanner.
                    > Thanks.
                    >

                    >Tom Makofski
                    >
                    >photo gallery
                    >http://tmak.smugmug.com/
                    >

                    >newifree-mo
                    >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413
                    >

                    >________________________________

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
                      My thanks to Joe too! I also monitor the Winnebago County, WI P25
                      system and have played and played with the P25 mode and level settings
                      with no real noticeable difference to the garble on this system. The
                      digital and analog AGC for this system was turned on and I don't really
                      know why. I turned both off and have noticed a distinct improvement to
                      the audio on several talk groups of this system. Never would have guessed.

                      I originally downloaded this system direct from RadioReference.com, so I
                      wonder if there was something in that download that would have turned on
                      the digital AGC?

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 15, 2013
                        You're both very welcome. It's something I learned very quickly on
                        the PRO-96 (circa 2005) when my local TRS sounded "underwater".

                        The short explanation is that if you have a low signal, the system AGC
                        will raise it, but the scanner AGC will raise it, too. Of course once
                        the system raises it, it will be too high and your scanner will then see
                        the need to lower it. This happens so fast (several times each second),
                        it creates an underwater or garbled effect. The two AGCs are actually
                        competing with each other.

                        I don't know if RR DLs that setting or not - it might be a default in
                        the software.

                        Joe M.

                        Mike wrote:
                        > My thanks to Joe too! I also monitor the Winnebago County, WI P25
                        > system and have played and played with the P25 mode and level settings
                        > with no real noticeable difference to the garble on this system. The
                        > digital and analog AGC for this system was turned on and I don't really
                        > know why. I turned both off and have noticed a distinct improvement to
                        > the audio on several talk groups of this system. Never would have guessed.
                        >
                        > I originally downloaded this system direct from RadioReference.com, so I
                        > wonder if there was something in that download that would have turned on
                        > the digital AGC?
                        >
                        > Mike
                        >
                        > On 4/15/2013 5:39 PM, Thomas Makofski wrote:
                        >> Thanks Joe and John. I turned off the AGC and my garbling is mostly gone. A
                        >> very noticeable difference!
                        >>
                        >> Tom Makofski
                      • Thomas Makofski
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
                          Mike, I think having the AGC on or off is selectable in FreeScan during the
                          uploading process.