73 to all

  • kw1b_nc
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2013
      Regrettably, I have found the BCD396XT simply too complex for me to handle. I was hoping the software FreeScan would be like a spreadsheet, like the popular programs for various Icom public safety rigs, and the Yaesu FT-1800 and the like. I've been able to nicely handle programming the rigs for my town's Fire Police and Emergency Ops Center on the public service land mobile bands, but the 396XT is way beyond my abilities. I was able to "read" the radio, and get the pre-load running for North Carolina -- which channel set appears to be either outdated or inaccurate. I heard one voice for three or four seconds one time once, and that was it for over three days of 24/7 monitoring.

      So, with a sigh of sadness, and despite the rig's many, many features, I have returned it along with the car adaptor and the USB-1 cable -- which cable did work, allowing me to "read" the radio's contents.

      Leaving group now. Thanks to all the hard work of the people who created and maintian this group.

      - 73 -
      KW1B

      AR
    • Dannypa_27
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2013
        Sorry it didn't work out for you. All you really need is a paid subscription to radio reference. Then you use free scan to download the systems in the area you are in and the things you want to listen too. Then you send that info to scanner. I also have no clue how to use all the complex features but that don't stop me from listening in to all the police, fire, EMS and much more in my area.

        Sent from my iPhone