Re: [BCD396XT] Please help?

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
      It's unfortunate that your PC manufacturers chose to not include a erial
      port that would cost them less than a buck. But that's not Uniden's fault.

      I'm not sure which software package you are using, but it's also not
      Uniden's, so software issues should be taken up with the software author
      (although I'm sure there are many people who could help on the list here
      if you describe the problem and specify the software).

      Not sure what would be "bypassed". Maybe he meant scanning a trunked
      system in conventional mode.

      That said, there is free software, so you don't have to buy that.

      The fact that 6 Radio Shacks could not help is not surprising. The
      Uniden dealer should have been able to help you.

      Now, where are you, what are you trying to program, and what are you
      using to try and program it? Also, at what point are you running into
      difficulties?

      Joe M.

      LizR wrote:
      > We purchased the BCD396XT first of all it came with a cord that we had no computers to use it with.
      > So we purchased the USB cord that goes to this scanner, still we can not download things on here to keep.
      > What we do download says Quick Save we can't get this to work as it should. Yesterday a uniden dealer said he could "bypass" certain things but that would only let it work like the cheaper scanners work
      > We spent 500.00for the scanner, then we had to spend 30.00 for the USB plug now we are told we have to buy software in order to make this work! Is this just a waste of money? Is it possible for it to really work without it costing your first born? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
      > If I have to buy even more items I will just return this to Radio Shack for a refund.
      > We have been to 6 different Radio Shacks and 1 Uniden dealer for help getting this programmed and NOBODY can help us, can or will you? PLEASE?

    • Clark Rennie
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
        A free software program is available here.
        http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/
        It's call FreeSCAN

        Too bad that you didn't find this list before pruchasing this fine scanner.
        Many of your concern have been asked and answered.
        Yes, Radio Shack prices are usually higher. Many other vendors have it cheaper.
        Also, Most Radio Shack dealers and employees have no clue as to the
        operation of this scanner.

        Clark
        At 03:15 PM 4/14/2013, you wrote:

        >We purchased the BCD396XT first of all it came with a cord that we had no
        >computers to use it with.
        >So we purchased the USB cord that goes to this scanner, still we can not
        >download things on here to keep.
        >What we do download says Quick Save we can't get this to work as it
        >should. Yesterday a uniden dealer said he could "bypass" certain things
        >but that would only let it work like the cheaper scanners work
        >We spent 500.00for the scanner, then we had to spend 30.00 for the USB
        >plug now we are told we have to buy software in order to make this work!
        >Is this just a waste of money? Is it possible for it to really work
        >without it costing your first born? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
        >If I have to buy even more items I will just return this to Radio Shack
        >for a refund.
        >We have been to 6 different Radio Shacks and 1 Uniden dealer for help
        >getting this programmed and NOBODY can help us, can or will you? PLEASE?
      • Gary Saffer
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
          On 4/14/2013 18:15, LizR wrote:
          > We purchased the BCD396XT first of all it came with a cord that we
          > had no computers to use it with. So we purchased the USB cord that
          > goes to this scanner, still we can not download things on here to
          > keep.

          My guess is that you didn't load the drivers for the USB to Serial
          adapter cable. We can help you with that, but more information is needed.

          First, what type of computer is it?

          What operating system are you using?

          What is the brand of adapter cable you are using.

          As others have noted, Freescan is free. There is another program called
          BCTool, that has a free version as well. Either one is likely to do what
          you need. Even better, there is a decent chance that someone on this
          list might be in your area and can send you some files to start.

          If you tell us where you are, maybe someone local to you will respond.

          I'm not sure that you'll need to buy more items, but it doesn't sound
          like you should have to.

          Give us more information and we can likely help you.

          What we do download says Quick Save we can't get this to work
          > as it should. Yesterday a uniden dealer said he could "bypass"
          > certain things but that would only let it work like the cheaper
          > scanners work We spent 500.00for the scanner, then we had to spend
          > 30.00 for the USB plug now we are told we have to buy software in
          > order to make this work! Is this just a waste of money? Is it
          > possible for it to really work without it costing your first born?
          > Your help would be greatly appreciated! If I have to buy even more
          > items I will just return this to Radio Shack for a refund. We have
          > been to 6 different Radio Shacks and 1 Uniden dealer for help getting
          > this programmed and NOBODY can help us, can or will you? PLEASE?

        • john szalay
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
            Where are you located,,?  if your email address is any indication, appears to be in Maine.

            there may be someone near on the group that can assist.    I,ve set up 2 other units here in Ky  (besides my own)
             using Freescan, its not that hard once you decide what which systems you want to scan.

            What I did, was look at some of the programs that others had set up and placed on RR,
            and used those as a basis for setting up the program for our own area..

            Take a look at freescan , its a start...

                                                    John in ky.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 14, 2013
              We live in Maine

              Sent from my iPad

              On Apr 14, 2013, at 10:11 PM, john szalay <surfer2450@...> wrote:

              > Where are you located,,? if your email address is any indication, appears to be in Maine.
              >
              > there may be someone near on the group that can assist. I,ve set up 2 other units here in Ky (besides my own)
              > using Freescan, its not that hard once you decide what which systems you want to scan.
              >
              > What I did, was look at some of the programs that others had set up and placed on RR,
              > and used those as a basis for setting up the program for our own area..
              >
              > Take a look at freescan , its a start...
              >
              > John in ky.
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Mark Mitchell
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                Liz,
                The only thing left is the optional gps and a cigarette lighter adapter of
                which you will need if you do much listening away from a 115 vac supply
                source as if yours is like mine a power hog..I listen about 4+- hrs and the
                3 batteries are flat what a real bummer and since it is a special power
                configuration you won't find it at you rs or wally world.

                Mark

                Springfield, Missouri

                On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Liz <italian_lady_us@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > We live in Maine
                >
                > Sent from my iPad
                >

                > On Apr 14, 2013, at 10:11 PM, john szalay <surfer2450@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Where are you located,,? if your email address is any indication,
                > appears to be in Maine.
                > >
                > > there may be someone near on the group that can assist. I,ve set up 2
                > other units here in Ky (besides my own)
                > > using Freescan, its not that hard once you decide what which systems you
                > want to scan.
                > >
                > > What I did, was look at some of the programs that others had set up and
                > placed on RR,
                > > and used those as a basis for setting up the program for our own area..
                > >
                > > Take a look at freescan , its a start...
                > >
                > > John in ky.
                > >
                > > ________________________________

                Mark ~

              • Alex
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                  Actually you can find an adapter at Radio Shack for the radio. The radio wants 6 volts on the power connector (the specification is molded right into the case under the jack 6V at 800mA). You must buy one of the universal adapters such as the enercell 2500mA adapter (catalog 273-366). One of the switch settings is for 6 volts. It will work just fine. The regulator in the adapter is a switching-type regulator so it will regulate to exactly 6 volts and supply whatever current the load demands up to the regulator's maximum of 2500mA (so in this case it's ok that the radio says 800mA and the regulator says 2500mA, the regulator won't supply more than the radio needs).

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                    If you are never going to charge batteries inside the radio, then you don't need an adapter with such a high current capacity.
                    300ma is plenty to cover current draw with the volume up, and backlight on. Here's an excerpt from Radio Reference Forum:

                    Ok I took several measurements of the actual current draw with different backlight settings on my BCD396XT. It may help some of you understand how much battery drain there is and subsequent reduction in operating time per set of batteries.
                    1. Radio on Hold. Low band frequency (highest current draw of all the bands) Audio muted (squelched) No backlight, 163 ma. (other bands were in the 150-160 ma. area)
                    2. Opened squelch- Audio level 7, 178 ma,
                    3. Then, put light on infinite. Squelched radio again. I took readings for each color and intensity setting:

                    COLOR-----LOW-----MED-----HIGH

                    GREEN-----177-----187-----204
                    CYAN-------183------202-----233
                    YELLOW---184-----204-----240
                    WHITE-------190-----217-----265
                    BLUE---------177----187------204
                    RED----------178-----190-----210
                    MAGNETA-185-----204-----238

                    So, if you use the green color light on low, it takes about 10% more current. So if your batteries lasted 10 hours with no light they will last 9 hours with a continuous green backlight.If your batteries lasted 15 hours with no light, they will last about 13.5 hours with it on.
                    And yes, the previous poster was correct. The white light does draw much more current then the others.
                    Bob

                    Also, the radio shack right angle adapter plugs that come with the universal power adapter, are NOT exactly spec with regards to the diameter of the plugs
                    themselves, they are a little loose, which potential could be a problem if you accidentally yanked on the DC cable. I noticed the play in the adapter plug after
                    buying one from RS. So, I went looking for an exact fitting one.

                    Radio shack's B plug within the set is loose fitting. FYI.

                  • Alex
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                      I know you don't need the high current capacity but they didn't have anything with a lower rating listed in the catalog. I brought up the rating only to make sure to point out that it was OK to have the higher rated adapter on the radio. Some people take the written current on devices as an absolute and then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find something with that exact rating. That's only necessary for very cheap transformer-based AC adapters but almost all new adapters (AC and DC) are switchmode power supplies so the situation doesn't apply anymore. This particular enercell unit is a switchmode supply so as long as the voltage matches and the current is greater than whatever the radio wants, the buyer is good.

                      It is true that the adapters are not quite right but that's because they're following alternate specs. There are actually two slightly different specifications for coaxial barrel connectors. Radio Shack chose one that will fit reasonably well in both types of specification jacks but the result is a loose fit as you point out. If a person is handy with a soldering iron (or knows one who is) then it's not hard to buy an exact plug and replace the one on the adapter.

                      In my case I built my own adapter because I wanted greater flexibility. It's a switchmode fixed at 6 volts but has plenty of capacity (about 5 amps) to run the 396 as well as a couple other devices that want 6 volts, too. I have it set up with Anderson power poles so I can plug it into my car (which has a block of Andersons under the dash), a sealed lead acid battery (2.5 Ah, relatively easy to carry and runs the radio for about 12 hours or one of my larger batteries), or to any other car with a lighter plug to Anderson adapter. At my desk at work I have a 12 volt wall wart to feed the regulator. The Uniden wall wart stays at home on the desk there.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                        Alex,

                        Where did you source the pin plug for the radio? is it right angle?

                        Digi tech catalog?

                        I was trying to source the right angle adapter plug sets that come with these generic AC/DC adapters.

                      • Alex
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 15, 2013
                          Yes, the plug is right angle. It's Digi-Key CP-2198-ND. Fits very well.

> [...]
                          > >
                          > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance <milcom_chaser@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > If you are never going to charge batteries inside the radio, then you don't need an adapter with such a high current capacity.
                          > > > 300ma is plenty to cover current draw with the volume up, and backlight on. Here's an excerpt from Radio Reference Forum:
                          > > >

                          > > > Also, the radio shack right angle adapter plugs that come with the universal power adapter, are NOT exactly spec with regards to the diameter of the plugs
                          > > > themselves, they are a little loose, which potential could be a problem if you accidentally yanked on the DC cable. I noticed the play in the adapter plug after
                          > > > buying one from RS. So, I went looking for an exact fitting one.
                          > > >
                          > > > Radio shack's B plug within the set is loose fitting. FYI.

                        • Mark Mitchell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 16, 2013
                            Thank you both for this new information and as I said my radio only last
                            about four hours before it starts beeping low battery. I have the MOSWIN
                            and the Missouri Dept of Public Safety in it and have half of the DPS
                            locked out. No priority, no Close Call and no Alert. I got a hit Sunday
                            afternoon on the Moswin for Fair Grove and once in a while I get a hit on
                            the Trp D Base and a hit on the Mobile Repeater 2 for Branson other than
                            that it is in the Battery Save mode if it has one or it is just scanning.
                            I have burned a pro-92/96 and my 97 boards by trying to charge in the radio
                            I will not try that again ever and I have the switch set to alkaline.
                            I have a old Digi-Key catalog but have never ordered from them I know that
                            some companies require a minimum order.
                            I will say that you have to have at least the 800 ma or at least I get the
                            Illegal voltage.

                            Mark

                            Mark ~

                          • Alex
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 17, 2013
                              The Digi-key part number is for a connector only, not a power supply. That was in reply to Lance's question about a properly fitting connector. You would need either Uniden's adapter or the Radio Shack adapter that I mentioned earlier.

                              800mA is only a current rating not a voltage rating. You would need at least 5.5 volts on the output of your regulator to avoid the Illegal Voltage error. The only place this comes into play is if the adapter you use is rated so low (like 6 V at 100 mA) that the current draw causes the output voltage to sag. The Radio Shack unit won't have that problem since it's rated for over two amps. Uniden's unit is obviously matched to the radio so it won't have a problem either. But anything else you find has to provide enough or it will sag.