Re: [BCD396XT] P25 Phase ll

    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 2, 2013
      I'm willing to bet P25 is also part of the post 911 paradigm, meaning at some point with digital, comes proprietary encryption...

      On Apr 2, 2013, at 2:02 PM, Jim Walls wrote:

      > <snip>
      > > Why do we need all this P25 digital phase 1 and phase 2 crap anyway?
      >
      > Spectrum. You may not live in an area where channels are hard to come by, but I run a public safety & all other municipal services regional trunked system in the Los Angeles area. Channels around here are as scarce as hen's teeth. Everybody wants more channels and there simply are none. In fact Congress wants to take away 24 MHz on T-Band in 10 years. That means make more effective use of the channels that you have. Especially on large systems, trunking makes a huge improvement over conventional. A few months ago was the deadline for narrowbanding on VHF and UHF, and that will buy some time, but the next round of narrowbanding will be required. At least in the public safety world, that will be achieved with P-25 phase 2. That will give 6.25 KHz equivelent bandwidth. In the commercial world, DMR (MotoTRBO, etc), and a couple other formats will meet the 6.25 KHz equivilent bandwidth.
      >
      > All kinds of stuff modernizes and new hardware must be bought. I'll bet you're not reading this message on a computer with a 286 processor either. How many times have you upgraded CPUs since then?
      >
      > 73
    • dataman60435
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 3, 2013
        I been in scanning over 40 years and I agree with you guys for me scanning is not that great anymore... scanners are on every day but since my city joined IL-Starcom and went complete encryption its really sad....Im retired and turn them on along with my low band rig and try to find enjoyment...There is plenty to hear yet but cannot even hear a accident or fire in my own town....