Re: [BCD396XT] Scanners and P25 Simulcast Systems

  • John Stark
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
      Motorola techs do have to oversee all phases of system construction and the settings of the system and they ARE ultimately responsible. They have two Moto techs still in Indy working on the system three years later even though a contractor and city employees do the majority of the work on the system its still the Motorola techs who take the heat and responsibility for the issues.

      MCH <mch@...> wrote:

      >Actually, the blame is usually on the company that installs or maintains
      >the system. This is usually *not* Motorola, but a local service company.
      >
      >There are several types of P25 systems, and if the installer/ maintainer
      >uses the wrong set of specs the system will not function well.
      >
      >Joe M.
      >
      >John Stark wrote:
      >> Don't blame it all on Uniden though as much of if not most of the blame is on Motorola!

    • Clark Rennie
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
        I ran across this info on Radio Reference concerning P25 Adjustments. Just
        wondering if with the latest Firmware that if this info. is still valid.
        http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/P25_audio_decode_level_adjustment

        Clark

        At 06:00 AM 3/29/2013, you wrote:

        >Actually, the blame is usually on the company that installs or maintains
        >the system. This is usually *not* Motorola, but a local service company.
        >
        >There are several types of P25 systems, and if the installer/ maintainer
        >uses the wrong set of specs the system will not function well.
        >
        >Joe M.
        >
        >John Stark wrote:
        > > Don't blame it all on Uniden though as much of if not most of the blame
        > is on Motorola!
      • Robert Klamp Jr.
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
          It is

          At 06:00 AM 3/29/2013, you wrote:

          >Actually, the blame is usually on the company that installs or maintains
          >the system. This is usually *not* Motorola, but a local service company.
          >
          >There are several types of P25 systems, and if the installer/ maintainer
          >uses the wrong set of specs the system will not function well.
          >
          >Joe M.
          >
          >John Stark wrote:
          > > Don't blame it all on Uniden though as much of if not most of the blame
          > is on Motorola!

        • k6ccchome
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
            You missed a major one. Motorola (or whoever is building the system) designs a system, and if built that way would have worked quite well. However the customer says something like "that's too much money, what can you do for [something like 50 - 75%]". So the project gets hacked a bunch, and what do you know, it doesn't work very well - who would have thunk it???

            Jim

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
              And in the case of Indianapolis they had signed a contract that stated the system was to have 11 sites. However AFTER the system was built Motorola cried foul and changed the system into a simulcast system because they would have lost money on the deal. As it was the city ended up paying millions in cost overruns. I still have logs of the system when it was first turned on and two months later it became a simulcast system. When each site had its own frequencies things worked much better for everyone. After the change it has been horrible! It is still an oddball system using four CC's two North of 70 and two South but it all shows up as one simulcast system.