Re: [BCD396XT] Re: Winnebago County Wisconsin

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
      I programmed in all of the State Patrol common freqs and the northeast
      district dispatch freq (154.935) last night. I'll see what I get as I
      travel around. I did hear traffic on that channel as late as last week,
      but it was quite weak.

      I'm not sure what this system is all about - *Wisconsin Interoperable
      System for Communications (WISCOM)
      <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6364> *- and I'm not sure if
      the State Patrol is on there or not. There are no system frequencies
      listed for Winnebago or Outagamie Counties, but there are for Brown,
      Calumet, and Fond du Lac. There are talk groups for the WSP listed.

      Yes, I do get fire dispatch activity on the Red VHF channel. I read
      somewhere that the fire depts won't switch over right away.

      We should probably take this type of discussion over to the Scan-Wis
      group, since it's not really related to the 396XT. I don't want to
      stray too much off topic of the list.

      Mike

      On 3/29/2013 8:07 AM, Thomas Makofski wrote:
      > Seems like I have lost all State Patrol activity on VHF.
      >
      > Are you getting any Fire Activity? I am still getting them on VHF and wonder if
      > they are mid-stream in making the change?
      >

      > Tom Makofski

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
        You both are on to something. It appeared like the new Winnebago County
        WI system was off the air for a while late last night. Today, without
        any changes to the XT on my part, the traffic on the system is much
        clearer. Too early to tell, but it seems like the local Moto shop boys
        did some upgrades or changes last night. Several of us heard a sheriff's
        deputy cussing out the new radios a few days ago when he couldn't make
        dispatch hear him after several tries.

        Mike

        On 3/29/2013 8:00 AM, MCH wrote:
        > Actually, the blame is usually on the company that installs or maintains
        > the system. This is usually *not* Motorola, but a local service company.
        >
        > There are several types of P25 systems, and if the installer/ maintainer
        > uses the wrong set of specs the system will not function well.
        >
        > Joe M.
        >
        > John Stark wrote:
        >> Don't blame it all on Uniden though as much of if not most of the blame is on Motorola!

      • Thomas Makofski
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
          See ya there!

          Tom Makofski

          photo gallery
          http://tmak.smugmug.com/

          newifree-mo
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

        • John Stark
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
            Motorola techs do have to oversee all phases of system construction and the settings of the system and they ARE ultimately responsible. They have two Moto techs still in Indy working on the system three years later even though a contractor and city employees do the majority of the work on the system its still the Motorola techs who take the heat and responsibility for the issues.

            MCH <mch@...> wrote:

            >Actually, the blame is usually on the company that installs or maintains
            >the system. This is usually *not* Motorola, but a local service company.
            >
            >There are several types of P25 systems, and if the installer/ maintainer
            >uses the wrong set of specs the system will not function well.
            >
            >Joe M.
            >
            >John Stark wrote:
            >> Don't blame it all on Uniden though as much of if not most of the blame is on Motorola!

          • Clark Rennie
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
              I ran across this info on Radio Reference concerning P25 Adjustments. Just
              wondering if with the latest Firmware that if this info. is still valid.
              http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/P25_audio_decode_level_adjustment

              Clark

              At 06:00 AM 3/29/2013, you wrote:

              >Actually, the blame is usually on the company that installs or maintains
              >the system. This is usually *not* Motorola, but a local service company.
              >
              >There are several types of P25 systems, and if the installer/ maintainer
              >uses the wrong set of specs the system will not function well.
              >
              >Joe M.
              >
              >John Stark wrote:
              > > Don't blame it all on Uniden though as much of if not most of the blame
              > is on Motorola!
            • Robert Klamp Jr.
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
                It is

                At 06:00 AM 3/29/2013, you wrote:

                >Actually, the blame is usually on the company that installs or maintains
                >the system. This is usually *not* Motorola, but a local service company.
                >
                >There are several types of P25 systems, and if the installer/ maintainer
                >uses the wrong set of specs the system will not function well.
                >
                >Joe M.
                >
                >John Stark wrote:
                > > Don't blame it all on Uniden though as much of if not most of the blame
                > is on Motorola!

              • k6ccchome
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
                  You missed a major one. Motorola (or whoever is building the system) designs a system, and if built that way would have worked quite well. However the customer says something like "that's too much money, what can you do for [something like 50 - 75%]". So the project gets hacked a bunch, and what do you know, it doesn't work very well - who would have thunk it???

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
                    And in the case of Indianapolis they had signed a contract that stated the system was to have 11 sites. However AFTER the system was built Motorola cried foul and changed the system into a simulcast system because they would have lost money on the deal. As it was the city ended up paying millions in cost overruns. I still have logs of the system when it was first turned on and two months later it became a simulcast system. When each site had its own frequencies things worked much better for everyone. After the change it has been horrible! It is still an oddball system using four CC's two North of 70 and two South but it all shows up as one simulcast system.