396XT Help.. Ahhhh...

  • richard.venneman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22 7:36 AM
      I am about to pull my hair out with this scanner. I even ordered the updated manual from Scanner Master and I still can not make heads or tails of this scanner. I want to enter some frequencies to scan.

      When I press scan, the Alaska preprogrammed scans. That is all I get.

      Here is what I want to do. I have the frequencies for the Oregon State Parks. 159.225 and 159.390. I want to enter them and name those two frequencies and name the group OSP, just as Alaska is named. And then select OSP and scan. No place in the Factory or Scanner Master manual does it say where to do it.

      I get all this information, which I would like to learn.But, for a novice, wouldn't be a great idea for a Quick Start section, to take one step by step to do some of the basic functions. Or, is this scanner for experts and not for new users.

      Can someone direct me to a site or a help group to help me get started with the scanner. I have a PC but will not have access to it until the Fall. So, what I do I am doing by the scanner itself. I use a MAC, and understand there is NO programming apps for a Mac.

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22 8:36 AM
        Richard,

        You at the right place. There may be somebody local to you on this group who could work with you one on one.
        It's an awesome radio, and you will get up to speed on using it.

        Sounds like you got a manual from Scanmaster. I browsed thru this to get familiar with the features:

        http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml

        I have a Mac as well, and run Virtualbox (free) to allow me to run windows XP inside of the Mac. Virtualbox: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

        From there I can program my radio and make changes as necessary via Freescan which you can get here: http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/downloads

        As I have over 15 years in the Information Technology field, I could do a remote session with you on your Mac and help you get set up. You would need a copy
        of Windows XP to load.

        Best,

        -Lance

        On Mar 22, 2013, at 8:36 AM, richard.venneman wrote:

        > I am about to pull my hair out with this scanner. I even ordered the updated manual from Scanner Master and I still can not make heads or tails of this scanner. I want to enter some frequencies to scan.
        >
        > When I press scan, the Alaska preprogrammed scans. That is all I get.
        >
        > Here is what I want to do. I have the frequencies for the Oregon State Parks. 159.225 and 159.390. I want to enter them and name those two frequencies and name the group OSP, just as Alaska is named. And then select OSP and scan. No place in the Factory or Scanner Master manual does it say where to do it.
        >
        > I get all this information, which I would like to learn.But, for a novice, wouldn't be a great idea for a Quick Start section, to take one step by step to do some of the basic functions. Or, is this scanner for experts and not for new users.
        >
        > Can someone direct me to a site or a help group to help me get started with the scanner. I have a PC but will not have access to it until the Fall. So, what I do I am doing by the scanner itself. I use a MAC, and understand there is NO programming apps for a Mac.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Clark Rennie
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22 8:50 AM
          Most of the pre-loaded information is obselete by several years. Just
          delete them.
          Using Menu/Program System. Rotated knob on top to desired system, push down
          on knob and rotate to Delete system.

          Clark

          At 07:36 AM 3/22/2013, you wrote:

          >I am about to pull my hair out with this scanner. I even ordered the
          >updated manual from Scanner Master and I still can not make heads or tails
          >of this scanner. I want to enter some frequencies to scan.
          >
          >When I press scan, the Alaska preprogrammed scans. That is all I get.
          >
          >Here is what I want to do. I have the frequencies for the Oregon State
          >Parks. 159.225 and 159.390. I want to enter them and name those two
          >frequencies and name the group OSP, just as Alaska is named. And then
          >select OSP and scan. No place in the Factory or Scanner Master manual does
          >it say where to do it.
          >
          >I get all this information, which I would like to learn.But, for a novice,
          >wouldn't be a great idea for a Quick Start section, to take one step by
          >step to do some of the basic functions. Or, is this scanner for experts
          >and not for new users.
          >
          >Can someone direct me to a site or a help group to help me get started
          >with the scanner. I have a PC but will not have access to it until the
          >Fall. So, what I do I am doing by the scanner itself. I use a MAC, and
          >understand there is NO programming apps for a Mac.
          >
          >Thanks
        • Milton Engle
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22 10:40 AM
            The scanner wakes up out of the box scanning the pre-programmed system
            information for Alaska, System Quick Key 21.

            To shut this off press the following keys: [ ./No] [2] [1]. The scanner
            will sound 3 quick beeps and display "Nothing to Scan".

            To program the scanner start by pressing the Menu key the create a
            conventional system and name it and assign it to System Quick Key 1. Then
            create a group in that system and name it and assign it to a Group Quick Key
            (0-9 or .) If you choose the decimal point ( . ) as the quick key the group
            can not be turned on/off via the keypad.

            Now enter your frequencies and any subaudible codes (if known).

            Press Scan and 1 and you should be scanning the frequencies entered.

            Disclaimer: This was done from memory without a scanner in front of me to
            verify keys etc. It should be enough to get you started.

            Milt