Re: [BCD396XT] Introduction from Wiscoonsin

  • Thomas Makofski
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21 2:23 PM
      Good point! Thanks.

      Tom Makofski

      newifree-mo
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

      ________________________________
      From: Larry Koch <larrykoch@...>
      To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, March 21, 2013 4:19:41 PM
      Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Introduction from Wiscoonsin

      Tom, I've had at least one of every digital trunking scanner on the market.
      The Home Patrol is the one I like least. It is not as flexible to program
      or operate as the 396 or the RS. In the car I like to be able to quickly
      and easily change talk groups or lock onto a talk group when something
      exciting is happening. It's easy to do when there are physical buttons to
      press. It can be done by feel. Not so easy with the touch screen on the
      HomePatrol. You have to look at the screen then scroll through several to
      get what you want.

      Just my opinion.
      Larry

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21 3:55 PM
        I agree with what you said, but the HP is also ideal for new scanner
        users who are overwhelmed by programming a trunked system, let alone an
        entire region's systems.

        With the HP, they enter their zip code and the range they want to hear,
        and that's about all they have to do. It's an ideal entry level scanner.

        I do wish it had some of the advanced features such as Fire Tone-Out and
        Close Call.

        Joe M.

        Larry Koch wrote:
        > Tom, I've had at least one of every digital trunking scanner on the market.
        > The Home Patrol is the one I like least. It is not as flexible to program
        > or operate as the 396 or the RS. In the car I like to be able to quickly
        > and easily change talk groups or lock onto a talk group when something
        > exciting is happening. It's easy to do when there are physical buttons to
        > press. It can be done by feel. Not so easy with the touch screen on the
        > HomePatrol. You have to look at the screen then scroll through several to
        > get what you want.
        >
        > Just my opinion.
        > Larry

      • Mark Mitchell
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21 4:40 PM
          Hey Tom,
          I agree with you about the headache I too have been scanning for years and
          while I am not new to trunking I am new to the uniden way.
          be advised if you have had realistic brands and had a programming cable it
          will NOT work with the uniden BCD396XT it comes with a cable but unless you
          have a older computer you will have to buy another cable to convert it to a
          usb and they squeeze you for another $50 with tax of course.
          I am a premium radio reference user and I don't know how many of us users
          have had this problem but I have tried to download and get that it has x
          amount of talkgroups and if you proceed it will trunicate and only load say
          20 and the others lost?
          also if someone out there could give me a heads up on the pre-programmed
          systems say, Kansas for example. how do you keep it from scanning I have
          bctool and freescan both and short of deleting it which I really didn't
          want to do so I locked out the talkgroups but it still scans during scan
          and I don't recall a tick button to control it also on this Id scan/search
          I noticed it is scanning Kansas as a Id Scan and my home state Missouri as
          Id Search what gives with that?

          Mark

          --
          Mark ~

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21 5:27 PM
            Older computer? I purchased several last year (none this year so far)
            and they all had serial ports. Again, I will state that the only ones I
            have that don't have them are an iPad and netbook. Of course, those are
            missing lots of other features, too, such as a CD/DVD drive, and even
            USB ports in the case of the iPad (there is a workaround for that, BTW).
            Some folks have stated that serial ports are making a comeback.

            Even if a PC didn't have a serial port, I purchased an adapter for $3
            shipped and it works fine. You can also purchase a serial port card for
            a lot less than $50. There is also the USB-1 option.

            As for RR, I've never ran into any limits on talkgroup imports short of
            the scanner limitations.

            For the most part, the preprogrammed systems only have dispatch
            talkgroups, as there is not enough room to fit all the talkgroups on all
            the systems out there. The HP-1 is an exception - it has them all. So,
            for the preprogrammed systems they will allow instant gratification, but
            not for all the activity.

            Joe M.