Re: [BCD396XT] Introduction from Wiscoonsin

  • Thomas Makofski
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
      Clark - I haven't purchased a trunking scanner yet. I am still trying to sort
      through my options. What a headache! I went from considering the RS Pro 106 to
      the unden 396XT to now maybe the Unden Home Patrol. All the reading about how
      difficult it is to program has caused me to slow down alot.! The Freescan
      website gives me some light at the end of the tunnel! In the meantimeI have no
      police action from Winnebago County and will probably soon loss the fire service
      as this county continues the change over.

      Tom Makofski

      newifree-mo
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

    • Larry Koch
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
        Tom, I've had at least one of every digital trunking scanner on the market.
        The Home Patrol is the one I like least. It is not as flexible to program
        or operate as the 396 or the RS. In the car I like to be able to quickly
        and easily change talk groups or lock onto a talk group when something
        exciting is happening. It's easy to do when there are physical buttons to
        press. It can be done by feel. Not so easy with the touch screen on the
        HomePatrol. You have to look at the screen then scroll through several to
        get what you want.

        Just my opinion.
        Larry

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
          Good point! Thanks.

          ________________________________

          > Clark - I haven't purchased a trunking scanner yet. I am still trying to
          > sort
          > through my options. What a headache! I went from considering the RS Pro
          > the unden 396XT to now maybe the Unden Home Patrol. All the reading about
          > how
          > difficult it is to program has caused me to slow down alot.! The Freescan
          > website gives me some light at the end of the tunnel! In the meantimeI
          > have no
          > police action from Winnebago County and will probably soon loss the fire
          > service
          > as this county continues the change over.
          >
          > Tom Makofski
          >
          > newifree-mo
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

        • John Stark
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
            Actually with the Extreme version the HomePatrol has more versatility than any scanner on the market.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
              I agree with what you said, but the HP is also ideal for new scanner
              users who are overwhelmed by programming a trunked system, let alone an
              entire region's systems.

              With the HP, they enter their zip code and the range they want to hear,
              and that's about all they have to do. It's an ideal entry level scanner.

              I do wish it had some of the advanced features such as Fire Tone-Out and
              Close Call.

              Joe M.

              Larry Koch wrote:
              > Tom, I've had at least one of every digital trunking scanner on the market.
              > The Home Patrol is the one I like least. It is not as flexible to program
              > or operate as the 396 or the RS. In the car I like to be able to quickly
              > and easily change talk groups or lock onto a talk group when something
              > exciting is happening. It's easy to do when there are physical buttons to
              > press. It can be done by feel. Not so easy with the touch screen on the
              > HomePatrol. You have to look at the screen then scroll through several to
              > get what you want.
              >
              > Just my opinion.
              > Larry

            • Mark Mitchell
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
                Hey Tom,
                I agree with you about the headache I too have been scanning for years and
                while I am not new to trunking I am new to the uniden way.
                be advised if you have had realistic brands and had a programming cable it
                will NOT work with the uniden BCD396XT it comes with a cable but unless you
                have a older computer you will have to buy another cable to convert it to a
                usb and they squeeze you for another $50 with tax of course.
                I am a premium radio reference user and I don't know how many of us users
                have had this problem but I have tried to download and get that it has x
                amount of talkgroups and if you proceed it will trunicate and only load say
                20 and the others lost?
                also if someone out there could give me a heads up on the pre-programmed
                systems say, Kansas for example. how do you keep it from scanning I have
                bctool and freescan both and short of deleting it which I really didn't
                want to do so I locked out the talkgroups but it still scans during scan
                and I don't recall a tick button to control it also on this Id scan/search
                I noticed it is scanning Kansas as a Id Scan and my home state Missouri as
                Id Search what gives with that?

                Mark

                --
                Mark ~

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
                  Older computer? I purchased several last year (none this year so far)
                  and they all had serial ports. Again, I will state that the only ones I
                  have that don't have them are an iPad and netbook. Of course, those are
                  missing lots of other features, too, such as a CD/DVD drive, and even
                  USB ports in the case of the iPad (there is a workaround for that, BTW).
                  Some folks have stated that serial ports are making a comeback.

                  Even if a PC didn't have a serial port, I purchased an adapter for $3
                  shipped and it works fine. You can also purchase a serial port card for
                  a lot less than $50. There is also the USB-1 option.

                  As for RR, I've never ran into any limits on talkgroup imports short of
                  the scanner limitations.

                  For the most part, the preprogrammed systems only have dispatch
                  talkgroups, as there is not enough room to fit all the talkgroups on all
                  the systems out there. The HP-1 is an exception - it has them all. So,
                  for the preprogrammed systems they will allow instant gratification, but
                  not for all the activity.

                  Joe M.