Re: [BCD396XT] Introduction from Wiscoonsin

  • Clark Rennie
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
      Trunking is a little confusing for new scanner enthusiasts at first. The
      basics are that a lot of users (Talkgroups) share a few frequencies
      (channels) that are controlled and assigned by a computer.
      Go here http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunked_Radio_Systems
      and here
      http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunked_Radio_Systems.

      Don't get too hung up on "Digital" compared to Analog as the proper scanner
      (BCD396XT) will do the work for you.

      If you are a paid subscriber to RadioReference.com, you can use FreeScan to
      import the information and then download that info. to you're scanner.

      Are you using a BCD396XT to monitor things now ?

      Clark
      Venice, CA

      At 10:06 AM 3/21/2013, you wrote:

      >I just joined this group and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Tom
      >and I live in Menasha, Winnebago County, Wisconsin. Been listening to
      >police scanner for 40 years BUT never a trunked system. Winnebago is in
      >the process of changing over to a trunked system which is forcing me to
      >"grow"! After a couple of weeks of reseaching, my head is spinning! I
      >finally found the Freescan manual and that is starting to make me feel
      >abit less intense!
      >
      >Anyway, are there some in this group that live in the Neenah-Menasha area
      >that would be willing to share their experience with the Winnebago
      >transfer? I'd like to hear from you either in the group or by e-mail at
      >tmak26@...
      >
      >Now, back to my reading!

    • Thomas Makofski
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
        Clark - I haven't purchased a trunking scanner yet. I am still trying to sort
        through my options. What a headache! I went from considering the RS Pro 106 to
        the unden 396XT to now maybe the Unden Home Patrol. All the reading about how
        difficult it is to program has caused me to slow down alot.! The Freescan
        website gives me some light at the end of the tunnel! In the meantimeI have no
        police action from Winnebago County and will probably soon loss the fire service
        as this county continues the change over.

        Tom Makofski

        newifree-mo
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

      • Larry Koch
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
          Tom, I've had at least one of every digital trunking scanner on the market.
          The Home Patrol is the one I like least. It is not as flexible to program
          or operate as the 396 or the RS. In the car I like to be able to quickly
          and easily change talk groups or lock onto a talk group when something
          exciting is happening. It's easy to do when there are physical buttons to
          press. It can be done by feel. Not so easy with the touch screen on the
          HomePatrol. You have to look at the screen then scroll through several to
          get what you want.

          Just my opinion.
          Larry

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
            Good point! Thanks.

            ________________________________

            > Clark - I haven't purchased a trunking scanner yet. I am still trying to
            > sort
            > through my options. What a headache! I went from considering the RS Pro
            > the unden 396XT to now maybe the Unden Home Patrol. All the reading about
            > how
            > difficult it is to program has caused me to slow down alot.! The Freescan
            > website gives me some light at the end of the tunnel! In the meantimeI
            > have no
            > police action from Winnebago County and will probably soon loss the fire
            > service
            > as this county continues the change over.
            >
            > Tom Makofski
            >
            > newifree-mo
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newifreemo/?yguid=353416413

          • John Stark
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
              Actually with the Extreme version the HomePatrol has more versatility than any scanner on the market.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
                I agree with what you said, but the HP is also ideal for new scanner
                users who are overwhelmed by programming a trunked system, let alone an
                entire region's systems.

                With the HP, they enter their zip code and the range they want to hear,
                and that's about all they have to do. It's an ideal entry level scanner.

                I do wish it had some of the advanced features such as Fire Tone-Out and
                Close Call.

                Joe M.

                Larry Koch wrote:
                > Tom, I've had at least one of every digital trunking scanner on the market.
                > The Home Patrol is the one I like least. It is not as flexible to program
                > or operate as the 396 or the RS. In the car I like to be able to quickly
                > and easily change talk groups or lock onto a talk group when something
                > exciting is happening. It's easy to do when there are physical buttons to
                > press. It can be done by feel. Not so easy with the touch screen on the
                > HomePatrol. You have to look at the screen then scroll through several to
                > get what you want.
                >
                > Just my opinion.
                > Larry

              • Mark Mitchell
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
                  Hey Tom,
                  I agree with you about the headache I too have been scanning for years and
                  while I am not new to trunking I am new to the uniden way.
                  be advised if you have had realistic brands and had a programming cable it
                  will NOT work with the uniden BCD396XT it comes with a cable but unless you
                  have a older computer you will have to buy another cable to convert it to a
                  usb and they squeeze you for another $50 with tax of course.
                  I am a premium radio reference user and I don't know how many of us users
                  have had this problem but I have tried to download and get that it has x
                  amount of talkgroups and if you proceed it will trunicate and only load say
                  20 and the others lost?
                  also if someone out there could give me a heads up on the pre-programmed
                  systems say, Kansas for example. how do you keep it from scanning I have
                  bctool and freescan both and short of deleting it which I really didn't
                  want to do so I locked out the talkgroups but it still scans during scan
                  and I don't recall a tick button to control it also on this Id scan/search
                  I noticed it is scanning Kansas as a Id Scan and my home state Missouri as
                  Id Search what gives with that?

                  Mark

                  --
                  Mark ~

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 21, 2013
                    Older computer? I purchased several last year (none this year so far)
                    and they all had serial ports. Again, I will state that the only ones I
                    have that don't have them are an iPad and netbook. Of course, those are
                    missing lots of other features, too, such as a CD/DVD drive, and even
                    USB ports in the case of the iPad (there is a workaround for that, BTW).
                    Some folks have stated that serial ports are making a comeback.

                    Even if a PC didn't have a serial port, I purchased an adapter for $3
                    shipped and it works fine. You can also purchase a serial port card for
                    a lot less than $50. There is also the USB-1 option.

                    As for RR, I've never ran into any limits on talkgroup imports short of
                    the scanner limitations.

                    For the most part, the preprogrammed systems only have dispatch
                    talkgroups, as there is not enough room to fit all the talkgroups on all
                    the systems out there. The HP-1 is an exception - it has them all. So,
                    for the preprogrammed systems they will allow instant gratification, but
                    not for all the activity.

                    Joe M.