New Owner

  • richard.venneman
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
      I am waiting for my 396XT to arrive, I am new to scanners and will be looking for resources for help. I do not have a PC (only a MAC) and understand thee is no programming software for a MAC so I will need to manually program the unit.

      Any advise??
    • robdutka@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
        I'd buy a cheap used windows laptop that meets the bare minimum requirements for the programming software of your choice.  I believe it will be money well spent.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
          You could use virtual box (free) or Parallels and buy windows and then you could run all PC programs.

          To do it legal it would set u back some but might be worth it.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
            Yes.

            1). Download Virtualbox (free) and install Virtualbox for OSX on your Mac. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

            2). Grap a Windows XP CD and create a new virtual machine. Once you have installed Windows XP 32bit version, move on to step 3.

            3). Download from within your XP machine while it's running, Freescan. http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/downloads

            4). You will need a serial to USB data cable with drivers, and they will need to be installed in XP.

            5). Up at the tool bar of Virtualbox you will see DEVICES. You want to click that menu, and click USB. You should see the name of the USB device
            detected (this is your data cable driver). You want to select that, so that Virtualbox passes it on as a hardware device to your Windows XP session.

            6). Start up Freescan, and ask one of us how to select a com port and then your radio will be recognized by freescan. I don't have my XP session up and
            running otherwise I would provide instruction.

            On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:07 AM, richard.venneman wrote:

            > I am waiting for my 396XT to arrive, I am new to scanners and will be looking for resources for help. I do not have a PC (only a MAC) and understand thee is no programming software for a MAC so I will need to manually program the unit.
            >
            > Any advise??

          • Clark Rennie
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
              As someone else advised, try to obtain a used PC. And go here for a better
              manual.
              http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml

              Also, I'm not sure if the firmware updates can be applied from a MAC. Maybe
              someone else will offer the correct info. on this.

              Clark

              At 09:07 AM 3/12/2013, you wrote:

              >I am waiting for my 396XT to arrive, I am new to scanners and will be
              >looking for resources for help. I do not have a PC (only a MAC) and
              >understand thee is no programming software for a MAC so I will need to
              >manually program the unit.
              >
              >Any advise??
            • john szalay
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                to keep things simple,  try to get a used pc with a serial interface..
                USB is nice, but can be a real pain to interface with scanner , without having to buy a USB to serial cable.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                  Firmware updates are applied from within a Windows environment be it virtual or from an old laptop.

                  On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Clark Rennie wrote:

                  > As someone else advised, try to obtain a used PC. And go here for a better
                  > manual.
                  > http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml
                  >
                  > Also, I'm not sure if the firmware updates can be applied from a MAC. Maybe
                  > someone else will offer the correct info. on this.
                  >
                  > Clark
                  >
                  > At 09:07 AM 3/12/2013, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >I am waiting for my 396XT to arrive, I am new to scanners and will be
                  > >looking for resources for help. I do not have a PC (only a MAC) and
                  > >understand thee is no programming software for a MAC so I will need to
                  > >manually program the unit.
                  > >
                  > >Any advise??

                • Dannypa_27
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                    If u have tons and tons of time and patience you could technical program your scanner with only the keyboard.

                    But boy o boy u will have to seriously devote a lot of time and effort learning the scanner and the systems and be willing to spends days pushing the bottoms and turning the knobs.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Mar 12, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Lance <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

                    > Firmware updates are applied from within a Windows environment be it virtual or from an old laptop.
                    >

                    > On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Clark Rennie wrote:
                    >
                    >> As someone else advised, try to obtain a used PC. And go here for a better
                    >> manual.
                    >> http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml
                    >>
                    >> Also, I'm not sure if the firmware updates can be applied from a MAC. Maybe
                    >> someone else will offer the correct info. on this.
                    >>
                    >> Clark
                    >>
                    >> At 09:07 AM 3/12/2013, you wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> I am waiting for my 396XT to arrive, I am new to scanners and will be
                    >>> looking for resources for help. I do not have a PC (only a MAC) and
                    >>> understand thee is no programming software for a MAC so I will need to
                    >>> manually program the unit.
                    >>>
                    >>> Any advise??

                  • Guy Teague
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                      vmware and win7 (64bit) works perfectly for me. no need to dig ditches with
                      a shovel when a backhoe is parked right in your backyard. i used a mac
                      because it's the most versatile and has been ever since jobs shifted them
                      to a freebsd base and intel cpus.

                      /guy (73 de kg5vt | wqpz784)

                      On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Dannypa_27 <dannypa_27@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > If u have tons and tons of time and patience you could technical program
                      > your scanner with only the keyboard.
                      >
                      > But boy o boy u will have to seriously devote a lot of time and effort
                      > learning the scanner and the systems and be willing to spends days pushing
                      > the bottoms and turning the knobs.
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >

                      > On Mar 12, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Lance <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Firmware updates are applied from within a Windows environment be it
                      > virtual or from an old laptop.
                      > >

                      > > On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Clark Rennie wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> As someone else advised, try to obtain a used PC. And go here for a
                      > better
                      > >> manual.
                      > >> http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml
                      > >>
                      > >> Also, I'm not sure if the firmware updates can be applied from a MAC.
                      > Maybe
                      > >> someone else will offer the correct info. on this.
                      > >>
                      > >> Clark

                    • Tony Langdon
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                        On 13/03/13 10:57 AM, Guy Teague wrote:
                        > vmware and win7 (64bit) works perfectly for me. no need to dig ditches with
                        > a shovel when a backhoe is parked right in your backyard. i used a mac
                        > because it's the most versatile and has been ever since jobs shifted them
                        > to a freebsd base and intel cpus.
                        I use an old Dell laptop with a real serial port, because it's there and
                        convenient, and I don't have a generic USB to serial dongle. However, I
                        have used a setup identical to yours for programming other radios with
                        different (USB) cables and software.

                        --
                        73 de Tony VK3JED
                        http://vkradio.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                          TigerDirect has great deals on computers that are perfect for scanners. Many of their "off lease" computers have actual serial ports as well as numerous USB ports. I have three of these off lease computers running various scanner software under different versions of windows and they run 24/7, 365 and not a single failure yet and none of these machines cost more than $150 with one on a special at $99. Nice machines and reliable too. Only changes I made was adding memory to each and I swapped video cards in one.

                          robdutka@... wrote:

                          >I'd buy a cheap used windows laptop that meets the bare minimum requirements for the programming software of your choice.  I believe it will be money well spent.

                        • john szalay
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                            Its a shame,     I took 5 Pcs  last week to the electronics recycle center for scrapping
                             2 had XP on them ,
                            we have given away to  dozens of computers to senior citizens after cleaning personal data off them.
                            Before I retired, we had given 200 away.   now,  when someone at church or in the neighborhood
                            wants to get rid of their old computer, I get them and scrub them, if there are no takers. I take them to the recycle
                            center to keep them out of the landfill...    its a hobby,  Can,t store them forever,

                             check around.   they are out there for free..

                                                          John in Ky..

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 12, 2013
                              Kudos John for being environmentally conscious about old legacy machines,
                              I feel the same way, and when I run across them, I flush them with zero's and find
                              people who need them.

                              On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:53 PM, john szalay wrote:

                              > Its a shame, I took 5 Pcs last week to the electronics recycle center for scrapping
                              > 2 had XP on them ,
                              > we have given away to dozens of computers to senior citizens after cleaning personal data off them.
                              > Before I retired, we had given 200 away. now, when someone at church or in the neighborhood
                              > wants to get rid of their old computer, I get them and scrub them, if there are no takers. I take them to the recycle
                              > center to keep them out of the landfill... its a hobby, Can,t store them forever,
                              >
                              > check around. they are out there for free..
                              >
                              > John in Ky..
                              >
                              > ________________________________

                            • surfer2450
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 15, 2013
                                Got another one dropped off here to-day, 800mhz, Windows 2000 Pro,
                                10 gig HD,, its too slow and limited to be of any good, or waste time
                                on, about the only thing it would useful for would be to program the scanner or play simple games.. useless for net
                                so, to the recycle center it goes.............

                                John in Ky

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 15, 2013
                                  Would a netbook with 1 GB of memory work? Funny, but I gave a PC laptop to my son and one to my ex before I moved to Oregon. I only have a macbook and now I need a PC. I can get a netwook for a little money. What do you think?

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 15, 2013
                                    It would, but netbooks have small screens and looking at a matrix of
                                    several options does not work well on small screens. For the money, I
                                    would look at a used notebook. I say this as someone who owns and has
                                    used both for scanner programming.

                                    Joe M.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 15, 2013
                                      They work. I have used one the past Coue of years. I do however use a seperate screen at home. I have it connected to a 20" LCD tv that has all kinds of inputs on it and it only cost around a hundred bucks. Have the same screen for my security system too. And once again got them from TigerDirect. Seem to get a lot of things there.

                                      "richard.venneman" <rvenneman@...> wrote:

                                      >Would a netbook with 1 GB of memory work? Funny, but I gave a PC laptop to my son and one to my ex before I moved to Oregon. I only have a macbook and now I need a PC. I can get a netwook for a little money. What do you think?
                                      >
                                      >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "surfer2450" <surfer2450@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> Got another one dropped off here to-day, 800mhz, Windows 2000 Pro,
                                      >> 10 gig HD,, its too slow and limited to be of any good, or waste time
                                      >> on, about the only thing it would useful for would be to program the scanner or play simple games.. useless for net
                                      >> so, to the recycle center it goes.............
                                      >>

                                      >> John in Ky
                                      >>

                                      >> --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance <milcom_chaser@> wrote:
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Kudos John for being environmentally conscious about old legacy machines,
                                      >> > I feel the same way, and when I run across them, I flush them with zero's and find
                                      >> > people who need them.

                                    • Dave Landrum
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
                                        For the price of a Netbook, you can run a virtual machine on your Mac. There are several VM's available, some free. Install Windows on your Mac.

                                        I use Win7 and VMware Fusion. The drivers for the programming cable even have Mac versions.

                                        It's the best of both worlds.

                                        Dave L.

                                        Sent from an Apple iGadget.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 16, 2013
                                          I was just thinking the same thing. Advantage here you would be using the Mac you love. If you wanted to travel and wanted to hook it up to scanner at hotel and also wanted the MacBook forcsurfing, etc you would only need to take the Mac.

                                          Be tuff for a cheap PC to match your Mac Book Pro.

                                          Sent from my iPhone