cracked case

  • Glenn
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 8:51 PM
      My 396XT now as a small crack in the case, from being dropped or hit with something, I'm not sure which. I noticed it for the first time only because I could see blue light coming through the crack when the led lit up on the display. The crack is located on the upper left rounded corner of the case, between the function/menu button and the antenna, is less than a quarter inch wide top to bottom and lengthwise, is a little less than half the depth of the case itself front to back.

      I don't have the piece of plastic that was chipped away when this happened, unfortunately.

      I have put a piece of electrical tape over the crack. But, I'm wondering if anyone might know of a better option. I'm worried about taking the scanner out of the house now, because I'm afraid contaminants will get inside the case and the scanner will stop working.

      Thanks in advance
      Glenn
    • David Cranton
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6 4:56 AM
        I would suggest using "liquid electrical tape" It is a gooey substance that
        comes in a jar with a brush on the cap.

        Clean the area with a q-tip and alcohol, or contact cleaner, and apply the
        "tape" in thin layers.

        With a small crack, this should cover your hole. ABS glue ( used in
        plumbing) would also work well. Just apply sparingly so as not to let it
        drain into your unit.

        Both of these should give a waterproof seal.

      • Clark Rennie
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6 7:04 AM
          Why not send it to Uniden for repair ?
          Go here to start the process http://www.uniden.com/page/productrepair

          Clark

          At 08:51 PM 3/5/2013, you wrote:

          >My 396XT now as a small crack in the case, from being dropped or hit with
          >something, I'm not sure which. I noticed it for the first time only
          >because I could see blue light coming through the crack when the led lit
          >up on the display. The crack is located on the upper left rounded corner
          >of the case, between the function/menu button and the antenna, is less
          >than a quarter inch wide top to bottom and lengthwise, is a little less
          >than half the depth of the case itself front to back.
          >
          >I don't have the piece of plastic that was chipped away when this
          >happened, unfortunately.
          >
          >I have put a piece of electrical tape over the crack. But, I'm wondering
          >if anyone might know of a better option. I'm worried about taking the
          >scanner out of the house now, because I'm afraid contaminants will get
          >inside the case and the scanner will stop working.
          >
          >Thanks in advance
          >Glenn
        • Daniel I Maas
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6 7:44 AM
            Try some Sugru. http://www.sugru.com The stuff is amazing and the web site has lots of user submitted hacks. A must have for any do-it-yourselfer.
            Dan

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6 3:08 PM
              Sugru! I think that is what I would us to fix it!
              http://sugru.com/

              I purchased a small sample pack last year, and LOVE the versatility of it!

              Donald W. Chapman - N5RVR

            • John Stark
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6 5:16 PM
                I'd suggest ordering a new case they are inexpensive and easy to replace.

                Using glues as mentioned csm have bad results. The wrong stuff could make the plastic brittle or even melt it.
                I think a complete case is less than $15 and definitely less than $20