Re: [BCD396XT] Testing antennas

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
      Great idea Joe. I've used NOAA WX to set a reference oscillator in an old Yupiteru handheld...

      On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:51 AM, MCH wrote:

      > On VHF you can use a NOAA transmitter. On VHF/UHF you can use a paging
      > transmitter. On most bands you can use a trunking control channel.
      >
      > Or, you can simply use a marginal dispatch channel and listen
      > for a while. But, conditions can affect this setup more.
      >
      > Of course, being a portable antenna is tough to test because an
      > inch may make more of a difference in capture area than the antenna.
      >
      > Joe M.
      >
      > John L Waller wrote:
      > > I have a couple of different antennas for handhelds, is there a good way to
      > > test them out to determine which might have the best reception?? Trying to
      > > keep track of specific frequencies while testing these antennas is tricky as
      > > there is no guarantee as to when they will be transmitting. BTW, I am using
      > > Arc-xt Pro software, although I do have freescan if it would help in testing
      > > these antennas.
      > >

      > > Thanks, for any suggestions,
      > >

      > > John Waller

    • John L Waller
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
        Thanks for the ideas. What is needed is a transmitter the broadcasts at a
        consistent power, and either 24/7 or fixed predictable intervals. I suppose
        the ideal would be a transmitter in each of several bands. One problem
        with dispatch channels, if I am thinking of the same thing, is that
        different agencies in our operate on the same frequencies so signal strength
        will vary depending on the location. Of course, the ideal setup would be to
        use a mast mounted antenna, but I have to clear that with the landlord, plus
        find a local supplier of mastsJ

        JohnW

        John L Waller wrote:
        > I have a couple of different antennas for handhelds, is there a good way
        > test them out to determine which might have the best reception?? Trying to
        > keep track of specific frequencies while testing these antennas is tricky
        as
        > there is no guarantee as to when they will be transmitting. BTW, I am
        using
        > Arc-xt Pro software, although I do have freescan if it would help in
        testing
        > these antennas.
        >

        > Thanks, for any suggestions,
        >

        > John Waller

        02:36:00

      • Uniden UPMan
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
          Actually, if they are all operating through the same repeater, the output power will be the same no matter what agency is currently transmitting.

          UpMan

        • Ross
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
            If the frequency is a repeater output then there will be no difference in signal strength no matter who is using the frequency

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
              And even if they use different transmitters, just make
              sure your comparison is based on the same agency.

              Joe M.