Re: [BCD396XT] Testing antennas

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
      On VHF you can use a NOAA transmitter. On VHF/UHF you can use a paging
      transmitter. On most bands you can use a trunking control channel.

      Or, you can simply use a marginal dispatch channel and listen
      for a while. But, conditions can affect this setup more.

      Of course, being a portable antenna is tough to test because an
      inch may make more of a difference in capture area than the antenna.

      Joe M.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
        Great idea Joe. I've used NOAA WX to set a reference oscillator in an old Yupiteru handheld...

        On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:51 AM, MCH wrote:

        > On VHF you can use a NOAA transmitter. On VHF/UHF you can use a paging
        > transmitter. On most bands you can use a trunking control channel.
        >
        > Or, you can simply use a marginal dispatch channel and listen
        > for a while. But, conditions can affect this setup more.
        >
        > Of course, being a portable antenna is tough to test because an
        > inch may make more of a difference in capture area than the antenna.
        >
        > Joe M.
        >
        > John L Waller wrote:
        > > I have a couple of different antennas for handhelds, is there a good way to
        > > test them out to determine which might have the best reception?? Trying to
        > > keep track of specific frequencies while testing these antennas is tricky as
        > > there is no guarantee as to when they will be transmitting. BTW, I am using
        > > Arc-xt Pro software, although I do have freescan if it would help in testing
        > > these antennas.
        > >

        > > Thanks, for any suggestions,
        > >

        > > John Waller

      • John L Waller
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
          Thanks for the ideas. What is needed is a transmitter the broadcasts at a
          consistent power, and either 24/7 or fixed predictable intervals. I suppose
          the ideal would be a transmitter in each of several bands. One problem
          with dispatch channels, if I am thinking of the same thing, is that
          different agencies in our operate on the same frequencies so signal strength
          will vary depending on the location. Of course, the ideal setup would be to
          use a mast mounted antenna, but I have to clear that with the landlord, plus
          find a local supplier of mastsJ

          JohnW

          John L Waller wrote:
          > I have a couple of different antennas for handhelds, is there a good way
          > test them out to determine which might have the best reception?? Trying to
          > keep track of specific frequencies while testing these antennas is tricky
          as
          > there is no guarantee as to when they will be transmitting. BTW, I am
          using
          > Arc-xt Pro software, although I do have freescan if it would help in
          testing
          > these antennas.
          >

          > Thanks, for any suggestions,
          >

          > John Waller

          02:36:00

        • Uniden UPMan
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
            Actually, if they are all operating through the same repeater, the output power will be the same no matter what agency is currently transmitting.

            UpMan

          • Ross
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
              If the frequency is a repeater output then there will be no difference in signal strength no matter who is using the frequency

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
                And even if they use different transmitters, just make
                sure your comparison is based on the same agency.

                Joe M.