Testing antennas

  • John L Waller
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
      I have a couple of different antennas for handhelds, is there a good way to
      test them out to determine which might have the best reception?? Trying to
      keep track of specific frequencies while testing these antennas is tricky as
      there is no guarantee as to when they will be transmitting. BTW, I am using
      Arc-xt Pro software, although I do have freescan if it would help in testing
      these antennas.

      Thanks, for any suggestions,

      John Waller

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2013
        On VHF you can use a NOAA transmitter. On VHF/UHF you can use a paging
        transmitter. On most bands you can use a trunking control channel.

        Or, you can simply use a marginal dispatch channel and listen
        for a while. But, conditions can affect this setup more.

        Of course, being a portable antenna is tough to test because an
        inch may make more of a difference in capture area than the antenna.

        Joe M.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2013
          Great idea Joe. I've used NOAA WX to set a reference oscillator in an old Yupiteru handheld...

          On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:51 AM, MCH wrote:

          > On VHF you can use a NOAA transmitter. On VHF/UHF you can use a paging
          > transmitter. On most bands you can use a trunking control channel.
          >
          > Or, you can simply use a marginal dispatch channel and listen
          > for a while. But, conditions can affect this setup more.
          >
          > Of course, being a portable antenna is tough to test because an
          > inch may make more of a difference in capture area than the antenna.
          >
          > Joe M.
          >
          > John L Waller wrote:
          > > I have a couple of different antennas for handhelds, is there a good way to
          > > test them out to determine which might have the best reception?? Trying to
          > > keep track of specific frequencies while testing these antennas is tricky as
          > > there is no guarantee as to when they will be transmitting. BTW, I am using
          > > Arc-xt Pro software, although I do have freescan if it would help in testing
          > > these antennas.
          > >

          > > Thanks, for any suggestions,
          > >

          > > John Waller

        • John L Waller
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
            Thanks for the ideas. What is needed is a transmitter the broadcasts at a
            consistent power, and either 24/7 or fixed predictable intervals. I suppose
            the ideal would be a transmitter in each of several bands. One problem
            with dispatch channels, if I am thinking of the same thing, is that
            different agencies in our operate on the same frequencies so signal strength
            will vary depending on the location. Of course, the ideal setup would be to
            use a mast mounted antenna, but I have to clear that with the landlord, plus
            find a local supplier of mastsJ

            JohnW

            John L Waller wrote:
            > I have a couple of different antennas for handhelds, is there a good way
            > test them out to determine which might have the best reception?? Trying to
            > keep track of specific frequencies while testing these antennas is tricky
            as
            > there is no guarantee as to when they will be transmitting. BTW, I am
            using
            > Arc-xt Pro software, although I do have freescan if it would help in
            testing
            > these antennas.
            >

            > Thanks, for any suggestions,
            >

            > John Waller

            02:36:00

          • Uniden UPMan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
              Actually, if they are all operating through the same repeater, the output power will be the same no matter what agency is currently transmitting.

              UpMan

            • Ross
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
                If the frequency is a repeater output then there will be no difference in signal strength no matter who is using the frequency

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
                  And even if they use different transmitters, just make
                  sure your comparison is based on the same agency.

                  Joe M.