RE: [BCD396XT] Re: A better understanding of P25 decoding

  • Michael Hopkins
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 12, 2013
      Sorry, but I have to take issue with John Stark’s comments about grounding a Yagi. Any Yagi will work with a scanner or hand held tranciever without being grounded. What IS important is that you use good quality coax as John suggests and that the coax braid is properly connected to the yagi and the scanner.

      That said, grounding an outdoor Yagi via the mast or a large diameter ground cable should be done for lightning protection, but it won’t affect the Yagi’s performance.

      Ground below a Yagi becomes important when the Yagi is close to ground in terms of wavelength. Since scanners are typically working in the VHF/UHF range, ground is typically multiple wavelengths below the antenna so it doesn’t really play a role.

      It does become an issue at HF frequencies since the wavelengths are very long and unless one has a very tall tower, antennas are likely to be within a wavelength of ground. Ground reflections and ground absorption then become issues. In any case grounding the Yagi itself isn’t the issue, but the distance above ground.

      Mike Hopkins K1VLB

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 12, 2013
        On 13/02/13 3:12 PM, Michael Hopkins wrote:

        > Sorry, but I have to take issue with John Stark’s comments about grounding a Yagi. Any Yagi will work with a scanner or hand held tranciever without being grounded. What IS important is that you use good quality coax as John suggests and that the coax braid is properly connected to the yagi and the scanner.
        Don't forget polarisation. Most, if not all of the signals of interest
        to people in the group here are going to be verticaly polarised, because
        that makes it easy to use a simple vertical antenna for mobile
        stations. That means any Yagi needs to be mounted "on its side", and
        not "flat" like a TV antenna. The loss caused by this cross
        polarisation can exceed 20 dB, and the radiation pattern is likely to be
        all over the place, increasing the likelihood of reflections corrupting
        the received signal, especially when receiving digital transmissions.

        --
        73 de Tony VK3JED
        http://vkradio.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 13, 2013
          Tony --- you are absolutely correct. Most of what we listen to on a scanner is vertically polarized so anyone using a yagi should definitely mount it so the elements are vertical. Personally, I use a discone antenna which is broadband from about 100MHz to 1GHz, vertically polarized and omnidirectional. I have two of them: one at home on a 30 foot mast, and one at the cabin in main just stuck up in a crawl space about 20 feet above the ground. Both work exceptionally well.

          Cheers,

          Mike Hopkins – K1VLB

          Mhopkins735@...