Re: [BCD396XT] Re: A better understanding of P25 decoding

  • John Stark
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
      That depends on several factors Including type of soil and wetness of the soil here I have two 12 foot ground rods on each yagi and six on the disc one.

    • John Stark
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
        That should be diskcone.... sometimes smattphones are not that smart!

      • Michael Hopkins
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 12, 2013
          Sorry, but I have to take issue with John Stark’s comments about grounding a Yagi. Any Yagi will work with a scanner or hand held tranciever without being grounded. What IS important is that you use good quality coax as John suggests and that the coax braid is properly connected to the yagi and the scanner.

          That said, grounding an outdoor Yagi via the mast or a large diameter ground cable should be done for lightning protection, but it won’t affect the Yagi’s performance.

          Ground below a Yagi becomes important when the Yagi is close to ground in terms of wavelength. Since scanners are typically working in the VHF/UHF range, ground is typically multiple wavelengths below the antenna so it doesn’t really play a role.

          It does become an issue at HF frequencies since the wavelengths are very long and unless one has a very tall tower, antennas are likely to be within a wavelength of ground. Ground reflections and ground absorption then become issues. In any case grounding the Yagi itself isn’t the issue, but the distance above ground.

          Mike Hopkins K1VLB

          dataman60435 <mailto:dataman60435%40yahoo.com> dataman60435@...> wrote:

          >Its really experimental, digital is rough, not like regular freqys...I have had people send me email that directional beams did not work....I have a RS 25-1.3 grnd plane think its # 25-173 $29.00 with 35' RG6u in the attic and it receives three towers very well....I have the Channel Master 5094A (disc) up 25' with LMR400 and it works very well on same towers T102,126,113, and T125....Im too far south for T101-Dupage...I can also hear Chicago FD new 476-478 non trunked digital stuf...Took me awhile to figure out what to use....My own city joined Starcom and uses T113-Will Co but there "ENC" !....
          >
          >--- In <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:
          >>
          >> Ok. Yes, I have gotten the feeling from some stuff I have read that I am right between towers. What is the best solution for that overall? Or is there one?
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >> -Dan
          >> On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:01 PM, dataman60435 wrote:
          >>
          >> > I noticed ur in Geneva, im in Joliet, using outdoor antennas i monitor T113,102,126, the last one T126-Aurora u should be able to hear...T101-Dupage is very difficult to hear in alot of places...Even tho there is a new firmware upgrade if you don't hear the "CC" well ur not gonna hear Starcom Digital....My daughter is in Elgin, in the mobile going thru your town using the RS800 rubber duck T101-Lisle and in some spots i hear T115-Lake Co.....Your town is kind of in between towers.....

        • Michael Hopkins
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 12, 2013
            Directional beams - yagi's, log periodics, etc.. don't care if the signal is
            digital or analog.

            Mike Hopkins

            Home: 603 882 2030

            Cell: 603 765 3736

            Mhopkins735@...

            Its really experimental, digital is rough, not like regular freqys...I have
            had people send me email that directional beams did not work....I have a RS
            25-1.3 grnd plane think its # 25-173 $29.00 with 35' RG6u in the attic and
            it receives three towers very well....I have the Channel Master 5094A (disc)
            up 25' with LMR400 and it works very well on same towers T102,126,113, and
            T125....Im too far south for T101-Dupage...I can also hear Chicago FD new
            476-478 non trunked digital stuf...Took me awhile to figure out what to
            use....My own city joined Starcom and uses T113-Will Co but there "ENC"
            !....

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , Dan

            Dan Simon wrote:

            > > > Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > >
            > > > -Dan

          • Tony Langdon
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 12, 2013
              On 13/02/13 3:12 PM, Michael Hopkins wrote:

              > Sorry, but I have to take issue with John Stark’s comments about grounding a Yagi. Any Yagi will work with a scanner or hand held tranciever without being grounded. What IS important is that you use good quality coax as John suggests and that the coax braid is properly connected to the yagi and the scanner.
              Don't forget polarisation. Most, if not all of the signals of interest
              to people in the group here are going to be verticaly polarised, because
              that makes it easy to use a simple vertical antenna for mobile
              stations. That means any Yagi needs to be mounted "on its side", and
              not "flat" like a TV antenna. The loss caused by this cross
              polarisation can exceed 20 dB, and the radiation pattern is likely to be
              all over the place, increasing the likelihood of reflections corrupting
              the received signal, especially when receiving digital transmissions.

              --
              73 de Tony VK3JED
              http://vkradio.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 13, 2013
                Tony --- you are absolutely correct. Most of what we listen to on a scanner is vertically polarized so anyone using a yagi should definitely mount it so the elements are vertical. Personally, I use a discone antenna which is broadband from about 100MHz to 1GHz, vertically polarized and omnidirectional. I have two of them: one at home on a 30 foot mast, and one at the cabin in main just stuck up in a crawl space about 20 feet above the ground. Both work exceptionally well.

                Cheers,

                Mike Hopkins – K1VLB

                Mhopkins735@...