Re: [BCD396XT] A better understanding of P25 decoding

  • Milton Engle
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 9, 2013
      Have you installed the latest version firmware 1.11.something (requires
      Updater version 3)?

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
        Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.

        Thanks,

        -Dan

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
          Maybe you're in a bad spot or between two towers.

          Joe M.

          Dan Simon wrote:
          > Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > -Dan
          > On Feb 9, 2013, at 10:06 PM, Milton Engle wrote:
          >
          >> Have you installed the latest version firmware 1.11.something (requires
          >> Updater version 3)?

        • dataman60435
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
            I noticed ur in Geneva, im in Joliet, using outdoor antennas i monitor T113,102,126, the last one T126-Aurora u should be able to hear...T101-Dupage is very difficult to hear in alot of places...Even tho there is a new firmware upgrade if you don't hear the "CC" well ur not gonna hear Starcom Digital....My daughter is in Elgin, in the mobile going thru your town using the RS800 rubber duck T101-Lisle and in some spots i hear T115-Lake Co.....Your town is kind of in between towers.....

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:

            > Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > -Dan
            > On Feb 9, 2013, at 10:06 PM, Milton Engle wrote:
            >
            > > Have you installed the latest version firmware 1.11.something (requires
            > > Updater version 3)?

          • Dan Simon
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
              Ok. Yes, I have gotten the feeling from some stuff I have read that I am right between towers. What is the best solution for that overall? Or is there one?

              Thanks!
              -Dan
              On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:01 PM, dataman60435 wrote:

              > I noticed ur in Geneva, im in Joliet, using outdoor antennas i monitor T113,102,126, the last one T126-Aurora u should be able to hear...T101-Dupage is very difficult to hear in alot of places...Even tho there is a new firmware upgrade if you don't hear the "CC" well ur not gonna hear Starcom Digital....My daughter is in Elgin, in the mobile going thru your town using the RS800 rubber duck T101-Lisle and in some spots i hear T115-Lake Co.....Your town is kind of in between towers.....
              >
              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > -Dan
              > > On Feb 9, 2013, at 10:06 PM, Milton Engle wrote:
              > >
              > > > Have you installed the latest version firmware 1.11.something (requires
              > > > Updater version 3)?

            • John Stark
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                get a yagi antenna and point it towards one tower. Make sure it covers that sited frequency range.

                Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:

                >Ok. Yes, I have gotten the feeling from some stuff I have read that I am right between towers. What is the best solution for that overall? Or is there one?
                >
                >Thanks!
                >-Dan
                >On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:01 PM, dataman60435 wrote:
                >
                >> I noticed ur in Geneva, im in Joliet, using outdoor antennas i monitor T113,102,126, the last one T126-Aurora u should be able to hear...T101-Dupage is very difficult to hear in alot of places...Even tho there is a new firmware upgrade if you don't hear the "CC" well ur not gonna hear Starcom Digital....My daughter is in Elgin, in the mobile going thru your town using the RS800 rubber duck T101-Lisle and in some spots i hear T115-Lake Co.....Your town is kind of in between towers.....
                >>
                >> --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.
                >> >
                >> > Thanks,
                >> >
                >> > -Dan

              • William Edwards
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                  IF being between towers and suffering the multi-path dysfunction really is
                  the issue, then you can get a Yagi antenna for the appropriate frequency
                  range(s) and point it at a tower. For example, from Geneva you could point
                  it at the Lisle tower to catch the DuPage and Cook County sites, with the
                  back of the antenna coincidentally pointed at Elburn to catch a Kane County
                  site.

                  Even this solution becomes complicated because Starcom21 has both 700 and
                  800 MHz towers. As I recall, all of the Cook South and DuPage towers are
                  700 megahertz while Cook North and Kane towers are 800 megahertz. Maybe
                  there are 2 different Yagis with appropriate frequency filters in this
                  story!

                  Also an interesting question is how can you best couple both a multi-band
                  antenna and a Yagi (or even two Yagis) on the same radio so that your very
                  capable BCD396XT does not become limited to being only a Starcom21 scanner.

                  Bill E.
                  On Feb 10, 2013 3:49 PM, "Dan Simon" <kc9vzv@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Ok. Yes, I have gotten the feeling from some stuff I have read that I am
                  > right between towers. What is the best solution for that overall? Or is
                  > there one?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > -Dan
                  > On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:01 PM, dataman60435 wrote:
                  >
                  > > I noticed ur in Geneva, im in Joliet, using outdoor antennas i monitor
                  > T113,102,126, the last one T126-Aurora u should be able to
                  > hear...T101-Dupage is very difficult to hear in alot of places...Even tho
                  > there is a new firmware upgrade if you don't hear the "CC" well ur not
                  > gonna hear Starcom Digital....My daughter is in Elgin, in the mobile going
                  > thru your town using the RS800 rubber duck T101-Lisle and in some spots i
                  > hear T115-Lake Co.....Your town is kind of in between towers.....
                  > >
                  > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > >
                  > > > -Dan

                  > (requires

                • dataman60435
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
                    Its really experimental, digital is rough, not like regular freqys...I have had people send me email that directional beams did not work....I have a RS 25-1.3 grnd plane think its # 25-173 $29.00 with 35' RG6u in the attic and it receives three towers very well....I have the Channel Master 5094A (disc) up 25' with LMR400 and it works very well on same towers T102,126,113, and T125....Im too far south for T101-Dupage...I can also hear Chicago FD new 476-478 non trunked digital stuf...Took me awhile to figure out what to use....My own city joined Starcom and uses T113-Will Co but there "ENC" !....

                    --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:

                    > Ok. Yes, I have gotten the feeling from some stuff I have read that I am right between towers. What is the best solution for that overall? Or is there one?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > -Dan
                    > On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:01 PM, dataman60435 wrote:
                    >
                    > > I noticed ur in Geneva, im in Joliet, using outdoor antennas i monitor T113,102,126, the last one T126-Aurora u should be able to hear...T101-Dupage is very difficult to hear in alot of places...Even tho there is a new firmware upgrade if you don't hear the "CC" well ur not gonna hear Starcom Digital....My daughter is in Elgin, in the mobile going thru your town using the RS800 rubber duck T101-Lisle and in some spots i hear T115-Lake Co.....Your town is kind of in between towers.....
                    > >
                    > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > >
                    > > > -Dan

                  • John Stark
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
                      Directional beams as you put it work great IF installed and used properly. A Yagi antenna is exactly what is called for in the OP's case since they are right between two sites. Using a proper Yagi antenna and coax will get the right results. A lot of people will not properly ground the antenna and or use cheap coax, both of which defeat the purpose of using the yagi antenna. Poor or improper grounding lowers the antennas ability to receive signals and block unwanted signals as much as using poor quality coax affects reception.
                      I use a yagi and being east of Indianapolis I still am able to receive some I'll Star com sites as well as many Ohio MARCS sites in addition to most of Indiana SAFET sites using the yagi. Some frequencies I can receive three or four different systems on. The antenna is only 25 feet up but it has proper grounding and 50 feet of LMR400 coax. On one frequency If I move the  antenna one direction I pick up one site and then turn it 180 degrees I will get a different site yet both sites are almost the exact same distance from me and using the same power. Take the ground off and I don't get much of anything. Put the ground back and the site I am aimed at is nice and clear with no interference from the other site. If I used cheap coax with lousy shielding I'd get the same bad results as signals get through the shield from both sites as well as other signals degrading everything.
                      In addition I am less than 1/4 mile from a cell tower and have four other cell towers within five miles. Three can be seen from my house. Add in an Indiana SAFET site five miles away that can also be seen from home yet even with all of that I can find the Control Channels for 150+ trunked systems and sites in good conditions using the yagi.
                      The point being proper installation will do the job the OP needs to hear the site he wants to hear.

                      dataman60435 <dataman60435@...> wrote:

                      >Its really experimental, digital is rough, not like regular freqys...I have had people send me email that directional beams did not work....I have a RS 25-1.3 grnd plane think its # 25-173 $29.00 with 35' RG6u in the attic and it receives three towers very well....I have the Channel Master 5094A (disc) up 25' with LMR400 and it works very well on same towers T102,126,113, and T125....Im too far south for T101-Dupage...I can also hear Chicago FD new 476-478 non trunked digital stuf...Took me awhile to figure out what to use....My own city joined Starcom and uses T113-Will Co but there "ENC" !....
                      >
                      >--- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Ok. Yes, I have gotten the feeling from some stuff I have read that I am right between towers. What is the best solution for that overall? Or is there one?
                      >>
                      >> Thanks!
                      >> -Dan
                      >> On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:01 PM, dataman60435 wrote:
                      >>
                      >> > I noticed ur in Geneva, im in Joliet, using outdoor antennas i monitor T113,102,126, the last one T126-Aurora u should be able to hear...T101-Dupage is very difficult to hear in alot of places...Even tho there is a new firmware upgrade if you don't hear the "CC" well ur not gonna hear Starcom Digital....My daughter is in Elgin, in the mobile going thru your town using the RS800 rubber duck T101-Lisle and in some spots i hear T115-Lake Co.....Your town is kind of in between towers.....

                    • William Edwards
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
                        What do you consider to be "proper grounding" on those Yagi antennas?
                        Bill E.

                      • John Stark
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
                          That depends on several factors Including type of soil and wetness of the soil here I have two 12 foot ground rods on each yagi and six on the disc one.

                        • John Stark
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
                            That should be diskcone.... sometimes smattphones are not that smart!

                          • Michael Hopkins
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 12, 2013
                              Sorry, but I have to take issue with John Stark’s comments about grounding a Yagi. Any Yagi will work with a scanner or hand held tranciever without being grounded. What IS important is that you use good quality coax as John suggests and that the coax braid is properly connected to the yagi and the scanner.

                              That said, grounding an outdoor Yagi via the mast or a large diameter ground cable should be done for lightning protection, but it won’t affect the Yagi’s performance.

                              Ground below a Yagi becomes important when the Yagi is close to ground in terms of wavelength. Since scanners are typically working in the VHF/UHF range, ground is typically multiple wavelengths below the antenna so it doesn’t really play a role.

                              It does become an issue at HF frequencies since the wavelengths are very long and unless one has a very tall tower, antennas are likely to be within a wavelength of ground. Ground reflections and ground absorption then become issues. In any case grounding the Yagi itself isn’t the issue, but the distance above ground.

                              Mike Hopkins K1VLB

                              dataman60435 <mailto:dataman60435%40yahoo.com> dataman60435@...> wrote:

                              >Its really experimental, digital is rough, not like regular freqys...I have had people send me email that directional beams did not work....I have a RS 25-1.3 grnd plane think its # 25-173 $29.00 with 35' RG6u in the attic and it receives three towers very well....I have the Channel Master 5094A (disc) up 25' with LMR400 and it works very well on same towers T102,126,113, and T125....Im too far south for T101-Dupage...I can also hear Chicago FD new 476-478 non trunked digital stuf...Took me awhile to figure out what to use....My own city joined Starcom and uses T113-Will Co but there "ENC" !....
                              >
                              >--- In <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Dan Simon wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Ok. Yes, I have gotten the feeling from some stuff I have read that I am right between towers. What is the best solution for that overall? Or is there one?
                              >>
                              >> Thanks!
                              >> -Dan
                              >> On Feb 10, 2013, at 2:01 PM, dataman60435 wrote:
                              >>
                              >> > I noticed ur in Geneva, im in Joliet, using outdoor antennas i monitor T113,102,126, the last one T126-Aurora u should be able to hear...T101-Dupage is very difficult to hear in alot of places...Even tho there is a new firmware upgrade if you don't hear the "CC" well ur not gonna hear Starcom Digital....My daughter is in Elgin, in the mobile going thru your town using the RS800 rubber duck T101-Lisle and in some spots i hear T115-Lake Co.....Your town is kind of in between towers.....

                            • Michael Hopkins
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 12, 2013
                                Directional beams - yagi's, log periodics, etc.. don't care if the signal is
                                digital or analog.

                                Mike Hopkins

                                Home: 603 882 2030

                                Cell: 603 765 3736

                                Mhopkins735@...

                                Its really experimental, digital is rough, not like regular freqys...I have
                                had people send me email that directional beams did not work....I have a RS
                                25-1.3 grnd plane think its # 25-173 $29.00 with 35' RG6u in the attic and
                                it receives three towers very well....I have the Channel Master 5094A (disc)
                                up 25' with LMR400 and it works very well on same towers T102,126,113, and
                                T125....Im too far south for T101-Dupage...I can also hear Chicago FD new
                                476-478 non trunked digital stuf...Took me awhile to figure out what to
                                use....My own city joined Starcom and uses T113-Will Co but there "ENC"
                                !....

                                --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com> , Dan

                                Dan Simon wrote:

                                > > > Yes I have. I am running 1.11.01, the newest firmware version.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks,
                                > > >
                                > > > -Dan

                              • Tony Langdon
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 12, 2013
                                  On 13/02/13 3:12 PM, Michael Hopkins wrote:

                                  > Sorry, but I have to take issue with John Stark’s comments about grounding a Yagi. Any Yagi will work with a scanner or hand held tranciever without being grounded. What IS important is that you use good quality coax as John suggests and that the coax braid is properly connected to the yagi and the scanner.
                                  Don't forget polarisation. Most, if not all of the signals of interest
                                  to people in the group here are going to be verticaly polarised, because
                                  that makes it easy to use a simple vertical antenna for mobile
                                  stations. That means any Yagi needs to be mounted "on its side", and
                                  not "flat" like a TV antenna. The loss caused by this cross
                                  polarisation can exceed 20 dB, and the radiation pattern is likely to be
                                  all over the place, increasing the likelihood of reflections corrupting
                                  the received signal, especially when receiving digital transmissions.

                                  --
                                  73 de Tony VK3JED
                                  http://vkradio.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 13, 2013
                                    Tony --- you are absolutely correct. Most of what we listen to on a scanner is vertically polarized so anyone using a yagi should definitely mount it so the elements are vertical. Personally, I use a discone antenna which is broadband from about 100MHz to 1GHz, vertically polarized and omnidirectional. I have two of them: one at home on a 30 foot mast, and one at the cabin in main just stuck up in a crawl space about 20 feet above the ground. Both work exceptionally well.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Mike Hopkins – K1VLB

                                    Mhopkins735@...