Re: [BCD396XT] Freescan Virtual Control Loses Connection or something

  • David Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
      Possibly port speed?

      Sent from my iPhone

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
        Another possibility... serial port may be going to sleep. Check Windows
        power settings.

        JK

        On 2/4/2013 2:43 PM, David Johnson wrote:

        > Possibly port speed?
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On 05/02/2013, at 4:01, Scott radioboy75@...
        > <mailto:radioboy75%40hotmail.com>> wrote:
        >
        > > I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in
        > the archives.
        > >
        > > For quite a while now, I haven't been able to use FreeScan virtual
        > control.
        > >
        > > I can upload and download from the radio fairly well, although I
        > need to make sure I don't upload huge amounts of data at a time
        > because that will cause an error -- like timeout usually I believe.
        > >
        > > Virtual control works for a minute at a time or less, but soon
        > stops. The display will say the name of the last thing scanned, but
        > the scanner continues to scan and the virtual control doesn't. I only
        > ever have to click "relink", and then it's fine again for a little
        > while, but then stops again, etc.
        > >
        > > I am using a real serial port, not a USB converter. I have the
        > latest version of FreeScan, and I run Windows 7.
        > >
        > > I have found information on this group related to establishing a
        > connection, but not to maintaining a stable connection, which seems to
        > be my problem.
        > >
        > > Autoscan finds the right com port in very short order and says it's
        > ready to work with it, and like I say uploading and downloading work
        > fairly well -- it's just when I want the connection to stay up
        > long-term -- like virtual control.
        > >
        > > Ideas?
        > >
        > > Scott

      • Bill Lauchlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
          This could also be related to the 396 not being able to participate in flow
          control (e.g. xon/xoff). This means the computer controlling and the RS-232C
          Interface must always be able to take the data coming at it at whatever
          speed and whenever. Any hold up on the computer end, be it hardware or
          software related will cause problems.

          Rgds Bill Lauchlan.