Case Specs?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
      A Search and Rescue person was considering purchasing a 396XT after seeing mine. He asked what the case is made of as he
      is in harsh environments for his work. I could not find the specs on the case for this radio. MCH or others have an idea? High impact
      ABS?

      Thanks,

      -Lance
    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
        On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Lance <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

        > A Search and Rescue person was considering purchasing a 396XT after seeing
        > mine. He asked what the case is made of as he
        > is in harsh environments for his work. I could not find the specs on the
        > case for this radio. MCH or others have an idea? High impact
        > ABS?

        I've brought mine along for some SAR work, but I make sure it stays
        tucked away in my chest harness. I suspect the knob on the top
        couldn't withstand a drop. The plastic case feels pretty weak, but I
        haven't drop-tested it and I figure the electronics would keep working
        just fine even if the case cracked.

        My biggest concern is frying the receiver. Other posters here will
        tell you that a nearby transmitter can fry the receiver. Typically SAR
        work involves a high concentration of transmitters.

        Tom
      • John Stark
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
          Doubt you will find actual specs on it but it takes all the abuse I have put it through as dose the 396t (same case) but neither is water proof. Scratched and dinged but no breaks or cracks and it's been through banging on pit walls fences and burned out buildings. :-D

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
            I'm pretty sure it's not high impact ABS. But, you could buy a leather
            case for it that would give you much more impact resistance. I'm pretty
            sure the case is not MilSpec in any way either.

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
              The case is injection molded. The battery door has the recycle symbol for Poly Carbonate.

              Dave L.

              Sent from an Apple iGadget.

              On Jan 23, 2013, at 20:34, Lance <milcom_chaser@...> wrote:

              > A Search and Rescue person was considering purchasing a 396XT after seeing mine. He asked what the case is made of as he
              > is in harsh environments for his work. I could not find the specs on the case for this radio. MCH or others have an idea? High impact
              > ABS?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > -Lance

            • Manny Gonzalez
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 24, 2013
                I wish my scanners were 1/10th as durable :P ... but this radio costs about
                $5,000!

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOvhJKOUStM

                --
                Manny Gonzalez