Uniden Repair

  • Jeffry Rehm
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
      Just received my 396 back fom Uniden after four weeks for repair. I would like to know if anyone else has had issues.

      Uniden repaired/replaced the main problem I had. (intermitent sound) They replaced the speaker. I also had asked to repair anything they could find. Apparently the keypad needed replacement even though it worked fine. (it did have lots of wear) I also asked for a firmware update. That was not done, even at my request. (my last repair from Uniden they did the firmware update that I requested - 1.08.14)

      I am wondering why they would replace something that was working (I do appreciate the repair) but not perform a firmware update that I requested? I prefer not to do the firmware update myself because of the troubled stories I have read and my lack of computer savy. And I am/was willing to pay Uniden to do it.

      Sorry if this isn't the best place to vent but I thought I would let it out there for people to know for future reference. I still have a scanner without the latest updates.

    • dataman60435
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
        Hi Jeff, my 396XT is also original and works fantastic on the IL-700/800 Starcom here in my area....Im not fixing what 's not broke as mentioned some folks did not have good luck with the new firmware and i dont know how to do the download being stupid with a computer.....Ron
      • Clark Rennie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
          What was the charge for keypad replacement ? Did the new keypad improve the
          appearance of the unit ? If so, the value of the unit was probably increased.
          The firmware update procedure is not difficult to do. Many of the people
          that had problems simply don't follow the instructions.
          The firmware updates are meant to be performed by the user.

          Clark

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
            Keep in mind that the latest firmware has a new interface which
            is much easier than the old one. The new one is nearly foolproof.

            Joe M.

            Clark Rennie wrote:
            > What was the charge for keypad replacement ? Did the new keypad improve the
            > appearance of the unit ? If so, the value of the unit was probably increased.
            > The firmware update procedure is not difficult to do. Many of the people
            > that had problems simply don't follow the instructions.
            > The firmware updates are meant to be performed by the user.
            >
            > Clark
            >
            > At 11:26 AM 1/23/2013, you wrote:
            >
            >> Just received my 396 back fom Uniden after four weeks for repair. I would
            >> like to know if anyone else has had issues.
            >>
            >> Uniden repaired/replaced the main problem I had. (intermitent sound) They
            >> replaced the speaker. I also had asked to repair anything they could find.
            >> Apparently the keypad needed replacement even though it worked fine. (it
            >> did have lots of wear) I also asked for a firmware update. That was not
            >> done, even at my request. (my last repair from Uniden they did the
            >> firmware update that I requested - 1.08.14)
            >>
            >> I am wondering why they would replace something that was working (I do
            >> appreciate the repair) but not perform a firmware update that I requested?
            >> I prefer not to do the firmware update myself because of the troubled
            >> stories I have read and my lack of computer savy. And I am/was willing to
            >> pay Uniden to do it.
            >>
            >> Sorry if this isn't the best place to vent but I thought I would let it
            >> out there for people to know for future reference. I still have a scanner
            >> without the latest updates.

          • John Stark
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
              Doing the firmware update is easy now just DL the new updater and start it then plug the scanner in. In five minutes or less it is updated.....
              As for changing the keypad they might consider the worn text an issue and since they had it apart why not slap a new one in and save a problem down the road... I'd be happy with what they did. Firmware update or not.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
                I am just concerned that the last time Uniden had my scanner for repai they updated the firmware at my request. This time they did not.

                I also have the rubber grip around the scanner that is falling off and that was not repaired, however, I understand that probably is not an item that can be fixed. (from some postings I have seen)

                The work they did was fine. The work they didn't .....

                At 11:26 AM 1/23/2013, you wrote:

                >Just received my 396 back fom Uniden after four weeks for repair. I would
                >like to know if anyone else has had issues.
                >
                >Uniden repaired/replaced the main problem I had. (intermitent sound) They
                >replaced the speaker. I also had asked to repair anything they could find.
                >Apparently the keypad needed replacement even though it worked fine. (it
                >did have lots of wear) I also asked for a firmware update. That was not
                >done, even at my request. (my last repair from Uniden they did the
                >firmware update that I requested - 1.08.14)
                >
                >I am wondering why they would replace something that was working (I do
                >appreciate the repair) but not perform a firmware update that I requested?
                >I prefer not to do the firmware update myself because of the troubled
                >stories I have read and my lack of computer savy. And I am/was willing to
                >pay Uniden to do it.
                >
                >Sorry if this isn't the best place to vent but I thought I would let it
                >out there for people to know for future reference. I still have a scanner
                >without the latest updates.

              • John Stark
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
                  The new update may not have been available to them at the time as it just came out