Significance of the signal strength indicator when scanning P25 systems?

  • kc9vzv
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
      This is probably a very simple question, but I am wondering what the signal strength indicator means when scanning the P25 digital systems. I know it (obviously) shows the strength of the radio signals coming in, but when I am scanning the P25 statewide system here, it shows the number of bars that it has even when the scanner is still showing that it is scanning. I am trying to figure out if this is normal or if my scanner is having trouble decoding the digital signals and it is showing a signal coming in, but it can't give me the audio. Any thoughts?

      Thanks!

      -Dan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
        It is showing the signal strength of the control channel
        it is evaluating to see what talkgroups are active (if any).

        Joe M.

        kc9vzv wrote:
        > This is probably a very simple question, but I am wondering what the signal strength indicator means when scanning the P25 digital systems. I know it (obviously) shows the strength of the radio signals coming in, but when I am scanning the P25 statewide system here, it shows the number of bars that it has even when the scanner is still showing that it is scanning. I am trying to figure out if this is normal or if my scanner is having trouble decoding the digital signals and it is showing a signal coming in, but it can't give me the audio. Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Dan
      • Dan Simon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
          That makes sense. It is good to know that I am not missing something. Thanks!!

          -Dan