CTCSS search during scan

  • Tom Hayward
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2013
      I have programmed a number of conventional channels for which I know
      the frequency but not the CTCSS. I'd like to display the CTCSS (if
      any) when scan stops on one of these channels. All of these channels
      are set as Analog NFM. Under Srch/CloCall Opt -> Tone/Code Search, I
      have CTCSS/DCS Search selected. I'm not seeing the tone when scan
      stops. Is there something I missed?

      Tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2013
        That's because that setting, as the name implies, is for Search and
        Close Call. For CTCSS/CDCSS SEARCH in a programmed channel, program the
        tone for SEARCH. If manually programming, set the channel to ANALOG and
        the next question that comes up with be what to set the CTCSS/CDCSS to.
        Select SEARCH and the scanner will show any decoded tones/codes. To
        program a count tone/code in, just hit the ENTER button when it is shown
        and you will be asked if you want to set the found CTCSS/CDCSS.

        Joe M.

        Tom Hayward wrote:
        > I have programmed a number of conventional channels for which I know
        > the frequency but not the CTCSS. I'd like to display the CTCSS (if
        > any) when scan stops on one of these channels. All of these channels
        > are set as Analog NFM. Under Srch/CloCall Opt -> Tone/Code Search, I
        > have CTCSS/DCS Search selected. I'm not seeing the tone when scan
        > stops. Is there something I missed?
        >
        > Tom

      • Tom Hayward
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2013
          On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:

          > That's because that setting, as the name implies, is for Search and
          > Close Call. For CTCSS/CDCSS SEARCH in a programmed channel, program the
          > tone for SEARCH. If manually programming, set the channel to ANALOG and
          > the next question that comes up with be what to set the CTCSS/CDCSS to.
          > Select SEARCH and the scanner will show any decoded tones/codes. To
          > program a count tone/code in, just hit the ENTER button when it is shown
          > and you will be asked if you want to set the found CTCSS/CDCSS.

          Thanks. I've updated each of those channels so the tone value is
          "SEARCH". Now I'm seeing the decoded tones.

          Wow, I've got ~3 different tone decodes per channel for most of these,
          and varying signal strengths to match. I guess that means my antenna
          is working well (colinear at 30 ft). They've got these frequencies
          really overloaded.

          Tom
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2013
            What band is your collinear for? Or does it have multi-band elements?

            Joe M.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2013
              On Jan 17, 2013 6:23 PM, "MCH" <mch@...> wrote:

              > What band is your collinear for? Or does it have multi-band elements?

              144/440. Everything I was scanning was at 155-156 mhz.

              Tom