Re: [BCD396XT] USB Serial Adapters (was Re: Firmware update issue)

  • kc9vzv
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013

    • David Johnson
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
        I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
        7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
        bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
        hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:

        > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
        >

        > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
        >

        > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
        >>
        >> Thanks again!
        >> -Dan

        >>> I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
        >>> determine if this is your problem or not.
        >>>
        >>> However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
        >>> knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
        >>>
        >>> A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
        >>> install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
        >>> This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
        >>> recognized and the com port goes away.
        >>>
        >>> Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
        >>>
        >>> (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
        >>>
        >>> NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
        >>> I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
        >>> FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
        >>> reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
        >>> a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
        >>> to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
        >>>
        >>> Hope this helps,
        >>> --Rob

      • John Stark
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
          That depends on the chip set used in the cable. I still use one of the oldest cables and it's fine for any platform as long as they keep updating the driver's :D

          David Johnson <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

          >I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
          >7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
          >bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
          >hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
          >
          >Sent from my iPhone
          >
          >On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
          >>

          >> Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
          >>

          >> On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
          >>>
          >>> Thanks again!
          >>> -Dan

        • dataman60435
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
            Is it possible to buy the "HL-340" USB adapter at like "Office Max" connect it to the cable that came with the 396XT, download the drivers?...What is the price of the adapter and who is it made by-Thank You.....

            --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson wrote:

            > I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
            > 7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
            > bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
            > hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus wrote:
            >
            > > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
            > >

            > > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
            > >

            > > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon wrote:
            > >
            > >> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
            > >>
            > >> Thanks again!
            > >> -Dan

          • David Johnson
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
              Just do a search on eBay. There is one there now for AU$12. Comes with
              a driver disc.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On 18/01/2013, at 7:20, dataman60435 <dataman60435@...> wrote:

              > Is it possible to buy the "HL-340" USB adapter at like "Office Max" connect it to the cable that came with the 396XT, download the drivers?...What is the price of the adapter and who is it made by-Thank You.....
              >
              > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson wrote:
              >>
              >> I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
              >> 7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
              >> bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
              >> hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
              >>
              >> Sent from my iPhone
              >>
              >> On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus wrote:
              >>
              >>> I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
              >>>

              >>> Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America

            • Boykin Roseborough
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                I have had very good success with this adapter in programming scanners and two way radios. Be sure you have the latest drivers. Used by many two-way radio shops.

                Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter

                Boykin

                Boykin Roseborough, N2CP
                boykin@...
                803-960-9766