USB Serial Adapters (was Re: Firmware update issue)

  • Robert Terzi
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013

      Dan Simon wrote:
      > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

      I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
      determine if this is your problem or not.

      However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
      knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.

      A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
      install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
      This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
      recognized and the com port goes away.

      Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html

      (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)

      NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
      I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
      FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
      reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
      a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
      to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.

      Hope this helps,
      --Rob
    • Dan Simon
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
        Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0

        Thanks again!
        -Dan
        On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Robert Terzi wrote:

        > kc9vzv wrote:
        > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not
        > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help?
        >
        > Dan Simon wrote:
        > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
        >
        > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
        > determine if this is your problem or not.
        >
        > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
        > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
        >
        > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
        > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
        > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
        > recognized and the com port goes away.
        >
        > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
        >
        > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
        >
        > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
        > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
        > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
        > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
        > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
        > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        > --Rob

      • Boykiin Roseborough
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
          Just updated the BCD396XT firmware without any problem. I am using Windows
          7 Home Premium and the USB to Scanner cable that came with my BCD996XT.

          Boykin

          Boykin Roseborough, N2CP

          boykin@...

          803-960-9766

          Dan Simon wrote:
          > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

          I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that
          would help
          determine if this is your problem or not.

          However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and
          cheap Chinese
          knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available
          for $10 and less.

          A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will
          try to
          install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from
          working.
          This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no
          longer
          recognized and the com port goes away.

          Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers:
          http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html

          (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)

          NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to
          serial cable,
          I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based
          on the
          FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
          reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will
          spend
          a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also
          tend
          to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more
          reliable.

          Hope this helps,
          --Rob

        • Scannerman
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 13, 2013
            If you are in need of a usb to serial adapter I would suggest the usb to
            serial adapter at sewell direct SW-1301. I havd been using it with Windows
            7 with no issues.

            Take care,
            Joey
            On Jan 12, 2013 11:16 AM, "Robert Terzi" <rct-yh@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > kc9vzv wrote:
            > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and
            > it does not
            > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb
            > cable? Any chance that that would help?
            >
            > Dan Simon wrote:
            > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
            >
            > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details
            > that would help
            > determine if this is your problem or not.
            >
            > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and
            > cheap Chinese
            > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply
            > available for $10 and less.
            >
            > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will
            > try to
            > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from
            > working.
            > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no
            > longer
            > recognized and the com port goes away.
            >
            > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers:
            > http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
            >
            > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
            >
            > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to
            > serial cable,
            > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based
            > on the
            > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from
            > most
            > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will
            > spend
            > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also
            > tend
            > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more
            > reliable.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            > --Rob

          • Mike Dziadus
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
              I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.

              Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America

              On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
              >
              > Thanks again!
              > -Dan
              > On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Robert Terzi wrote:
              >
              > > kc9vzv wrote:
              > > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not
              > > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help?
              > >
              > > Dan Simon wrote:
              > > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
              > >
              > > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
              > > determine if this is your problem or not.
              > >
              > > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
              > > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
              > >
              > > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
              > > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
              > > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
              > > recognized and the com port goes away.
              > >
              > > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
              > >
              > > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
              > >
              > > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
              > > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
              > > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
              > > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
              > > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
              > > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps,
              > > --Rob

            • Mike Dziadus
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                Oops see your on XP. Sorry it's early

                On Jan 14, 2013, at 5:16 AM, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:

                > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                >
                > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                >
                > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                > >
                > > Thanks again!
                > > -Dan

                > > > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                > > > determine if this is your problem or not.
                > > >
                > > > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                > > > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                > > >
                > > > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                > > > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                > > > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                > > > recognized and the com port goes away.
                > > >
                > > > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                > > >
                > > > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                > > >
                > > > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                > > > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                > > > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                > > > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                > > > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                > > > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                > > >
                > > > Hope this helps,
                > > > --Rob

              • kc9vzv
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013

                • David Johnson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                    I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                    7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                    bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                    hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:

                    > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                    >

                    > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                    >

                    > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                    >>
                    >> Thanks again!
                    >> -Dan

                    >>> I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                    >>> determine if this is your problem or not.
                    >>>
                    >>> However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                    >>> knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                    >>>
                    >>> A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                    >>> install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                    >>> This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                    >>> recognized and the com port goes away.
                    >>>
                    >>> Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                    >>>
                    >>> (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                    >>>
                    >>> NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                    >>> I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                    >>> FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                    >>> reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                    >>> a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                    >>> to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                    >>>
                    >>> Hope this helps,
                    >>> --Rob

                  • John Stark
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                      That depends on the chip set used in the cable. I still use one of the oldest cables and it's fine for any platform as long as they keep updating the driver's :D

                      David Johnson <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                      >I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                      >7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                      >bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                      >hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                      >
                      >Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      >On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                      >>

                      >> Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                      >>

                      >> On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                      >>>
                      >>> Thanks again!
                      >>> -Dan

                    • dataman60435
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                        Is it possible to buy the "HL-340" USB adapter at like "Office Max" connect it to the cable that came with the 396XT, download the drivers?...What is the price of the adapter and who is it made by-Thank You.....

                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson wrote:

                        > I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                        > 7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                        > bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                        > hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                        >
                        > Sent from my iPhone
                        >
                        > On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus wrote:
                        >
                        > > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                        > >

                        > > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                        > >

                        > > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                        > >>
                        > >> Thanks again!
                        > >> -Dan

                      • David Johnson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                          Just do a search on eBay. There is one there now for AU$12. Comes with
                          a driver disc.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On 18/01/2013, at 7:20, dataman60435 <dataman60435@...> wrote:

                          > Is it possible to buy the "HL-340" USB adapter at like "Office Max" connect it to the cable that came with the 396XT, download the drivers?...What is the price of the adapter and who is it made by-Thank You.....
                          >
                          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson wrote:
                          >>
                          >> I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                          >> 7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                          >> bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                          >> hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                          >>
                          >> Sent from my iPhone
                          >>
                          >> On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                          >>>

                          >>> Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America

                        • Boykin Roseborough
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                            I have had very good success with this adapter in programming scanners and two way radios. Be sure you have the latest drivers. Used by many two-way radio shops.

                            Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter

                            Boykin

                            Boykin Roseborough, N2CP
                            boykin@...
                            803-960-9766