Re: Backlight question

  • wolobmp
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2013
      Hello,

      Yes I have my backlight set to squelch, but when a P25 signal comes through the backlight is not lit. Also when the backlight does come on it only stays on for a short period of time, even while the station is still talking.
      But there is no option that I see within the scanner to active backlight on signal and stay lit until signal drops out. The backlight stays on for a short period regardless if the station is still on the air.
      I am not seeing in the software where you can select backlight when signal is present, and stay lit until the scanner resumes scanning.
      I was able to specify this in my previous GRE andRadio Shack Digi/Trunking handhelds.

      Any ideas? I have also downloaded Freescan and did not see anything different setting then whats within the scanner itself.

      Anyone?
      Thanks
      Mike

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 12, 2013
        Are you sure the P25 transmission is not triggering the backlight? Is it
        possible that you are monitoring a trunked system and it's simply that
        the replies are not triggering it?

        Joe M.

        wolobmp wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Yes I have my backlight set to squelch, but when a P25 signal comes through the backlight is not lit. Also when the backlight does come on it only stays on for a short period of time, even while the station is still talking.
        > But there is no option that I see within the scanner to active backlight on signal and stay lit until signal drops out. The backlight stays on for a short period regardless if the station is still on the air.
        > I am not seeing in the software where you can select backlight when signal is present, and stay lit until the scanner resumes scanning.
        > I was able to specify this in my previous GRE andRadio Shack Digi/Trunking handhelds.
        >
        > Any ideas? I have also downloaded Freescan and did not see anything different setting then whats within the scanner itself.
        >
        > Anyone?
        > Thanks
        > Mike
        > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, Lance wrote:
        >> I have mine set to trigger on squelch...
        >>
        >> press MENU > scroll to SETTINGS, push the knob inward/down, go SET BACKLIGHT, push the knob inward/down,
        >>
        >> go to SET MODE, push the knob inward/down. Now you can scroll thru the options for the backlight...
        >>
        >> -Lance
        >> On Jan 11, 2013, at 1:21 PM, wolobmp wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hello all.
        >>> Just purchased the 396XT scanner and liking it very much. Comming from a Radio Shack and GRE I am liking what I am hearing moreso then the 2 previous model's I have owned.
        >>> My question is: when a signal either P25 or analog comes thru while scanning is there a way I can have the backlight turn on, and stay on until the signal disappears? I see you can set the delay time, set the backlight for on all the time, and squelch,(P25 does not use squelch) and keyboard, etc. Not seeing anything where I can have the backlight come on in all modes and stay on until the signal drops. I was able to do this in my previous Radio Shack and GRE hand helds, but through the software only...not via menu within the scanner.
        >>> Anyone have an idea if this is possible with this model?
        >>> Thank you
        >>> Mike

      • wolobmp
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 12, 2013
          Joe,

          The P25 does trigger the backlight, however only stays on few short period of time, even while the signal is still present.
          Mike

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 12, 2013
            The same should be true for conventional operation.

            I too would like to see an option where the backlight stays on for the
            duration of the signal, optionally in the color selected, but there may
            be patent issues which are preventing Uniden from doing that. I'm not
            saying there are, but just that this may be the case.

            Joe M.

            wolobmp wrote:
            > Joe,
            >
            > The P25 does trigger the backlight, however only stays on few short period of time, even while the signal is still present.
            > Mike
            >
            > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, MCH wrote:
            >> Are you sure the P25 transmission is not triggering the backlight? Is it
            >> possible that you are monitoring a trunked system and it's simply that
            >> the replies are not triggering it?
            >>
            >> Joe M.
            >>
            >> wolobmp wrote:
            >>> Hello,
            >>>
            >>> Yes I have my backlight set to squelch, but when a P25 signal comes through the backlight is not lit. Also when the backlight does come on it only stays on for a short period of time, even while the station is still talking.
            >>> But there is no option that I see within the scanner to active backlight on signal and stay lit until signal drops out. The backlight stays on for a short period regardless if the station is still on the air.
            >>> I am not seeing in the software where you can select backlight when signal is present, and stay lit until the scanner resumes scanning.
            >>> I was able to specify this in my previous GRE andRadio Shack Digi/Trunking handhelds.
            >>>
            >>> Any ideas? I have also downloaded Freescan and did not see anything different setting then whats within the scanner itself.
            >>>
            >>> Anyone?
            >>> Thanks
            >>> Mike

          • John Stark
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 12, 2013
              Using FreeScan you can select various colors for each TGID. You need to unselect the check box next to SIMPLE VIEW and then you will see the choices. I thought you could select the time and so on but you can't. You can however select no flash slow flash or fast flash.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 12, 2013
                All true, but still the color (alert) backlight will only stay on a few
                seconds. The standard backlight is the same way if set to SQUELCH, and
                will only stay on the entire transmission if you have it set to INFINITE
                which has it on all the time.

                Ideally, the squelch setting should allow the backlight to be on the
                entire duration of the transmission (with the alert color on for the
                first few seconds). As I mentioned before, there may be patent issues
                involved preventing such operation.

                Joe M.

                John Stark wrote:
                > Using FreeScan you can select various colors for each TGID. You need to unselect the check box next to SIMPLE VIEW and then you will see the choices. I thought you could select the time and so on but you can't. You can however select no flash slow flash or fast flash.

                > MCH <mch@...> wrote:
                >
                >> The same should be true for conventional operation.
                >>
                >> I too would like to see an option where the backlight stays on for the
                >> duration of the signal, optionally in the color selected, but there may
                >> be patent issues which are preventing Uniden from doing that. I'm not
                >> saying there are, but just that this may be the case.
                >>
                >> Joe M.
                >>
                >> wolobmp wrote:
                >>> Joe,
                >>>
                >>> The P25 does trigger the backlight, however only stays on few short period of time, even while the signal is still present.
                >>> Mike

              • wolobmp
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                  Hello,

                  Well, I am glad a few others have been able to understand what my question was about. My GRE and Rad.Shack(GRE-clone) had the ability to have the backlight remain on during the whole transmission, thus I thought it was possible on this model. As for patent, I'm not certain if such a thing exisits, but one would that if not, then a simple revision to the software code could change that.

                  It's a shame this backlight cannot be set to this state...otherwise its a great scanner, I enjoy it moreso then GRE(major case problems)and the RAD.Shack(also case problems).
                  Thanks to all for the replies.....

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                    That gets my rally of support for a helpful change to the current firmware for the 396XT...

                  • Ron Aubry
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                      You can set the Back light to any color full time in the settings. The alert will only stay on for as long as the squelch is active, or the time you set . You can set each frequency to it's own alert color. Background setting is seperate from the Alert setting.
                      Alert is only ment as a quick refferance to what your monitoring. Good luck..

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                        Ron,

                        If you observe the Backlight when set to squelch, it will trigger, but will not stay on for the duration of the transmission.
                        This is the distinction MCH was pointing out to another user.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                          I set my Back light to White/ Squelch on my 396xt, and white/ indefinate on the 996xt, and my alert colors are all set to squelch and what ever color i choose for that frequency group Blue for Med, Red for fire, Green for Sherriff, Yellow local PD, and Cyne for HWP. Works great for me...