Re: [BCD396XT] Firmware update issue

  • kc9vzv
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013

    • Upman
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
        1: What com port is it on?
        2: Is the scanner turned on and scanning?
        3: When you manually select the com port, what error do you get?
        4: Are you sure no other program is running that might be using the port?

      • John Stark
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
          Update your prolific driver

        • kc9vzv
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013

          • kc9vzv
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
              Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help? Thanks!

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                It's possible your adapter went bad. Is there someone
                else in your area you can borrow an adapter from to try?

                Joe M.

                kc9vzv wrote:
                > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help? Thanks!
                >
                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, John Stark wrote:
                >> Update your prolific driver
                >>
                >> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

              • Dan Simon
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                  That's what I was wondering. I can't think of anyone that would have one, so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

                  -Dan
                  On Jan 12, 2013, at 5:47 AM, MCH wrote:

                  > It's possible your adapter went bad. Is there someone
                  > else in your area you can borrow an adapter from to try?
                  >
                  > Joe M.
                  >
                  > kc9vzv wrote:
                  > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help? Thanks!
                  > >
                  > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, John Stark wrote:
                  > >> Update your prolific driver
                  > >>
                  > >> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

                  > Dan
                  >
                  > Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                • Dan Simon
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                    Joe-

                    I was just thinking, like I said, this serial adapter has always worked when I have been working with FreeScan. Could this somehow be different and I should get another one? Or is that a waste of time/money?
                    Thanks!

                    Dan
                    On Jan 12, 2013, at 5:47 AM, MCH wrote:

                    > It's possible your adapter went bad. Is there someone
                    > else in your area you can borrow an adapter from to try?
                    >
                    > Joe M.
                    >
                    > kc9vzv wrote:
                    > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help? Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, John Stark wrote:
                    > >> Update your prolific driver
                    > >>
                    > >> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

                    > Dan
                    >
                    > Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                  • Robert Terzi
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013

                      Dan Simon wrote:
                      > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

                      I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                      determine if this is your problem or not.

                      However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                      knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.

                      A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                      install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                      This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                      recognized and the com port goes away.

                      Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html

                      (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)

                      NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                      I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                      FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                      reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                      a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                      to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.

                      Hope this helps,
                      --Rob
                    • Dan Simon
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                        Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0

                        Thanks again!
                        -Dan
                        On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Robert Terzi wrote:

                        > kc9vzv wrote:
                        > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not
                        > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help?
                        >
                        > Dan Simon wrote:
                        > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
                        >
                        > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                        > determine if this is your problem or not.
                        >
                        > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                        > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                        >
                        > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                        > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                        > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                        > recognized and the com port goes away.
                        >
                        > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                        >
                        > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                        >
                        > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                        > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                        > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                        > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                        > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                        > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                        >
                        > Hope this helps,
                        > --Rob

                      • Boykiin Roseborough
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                          Just updated the BCD396XT firmware without any problem. I am using Windows
                          7 Home Premium and the USB to Scanner cable that came with my BCD996XT.

                          Boykin

                          Boykin Roseborough, N2CP

                          boykin@...

                          803-960-9766

                          Dan Simon wrote:
                          > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

                          I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that
                          would help
                          determine if this is your problem or not.

                          However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and
                          cheap Chinese
                          knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available
                          for $10 and less.

                          A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will
                          try to
                          install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from
                          working.
                          This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no
                          longer
                          recognized and the com port goes away.

                          Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers:
                          http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html

                          (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)

                          NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to
                          serial cable,
                          I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based
                          on the
                          FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                          reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will
                          spend
                          a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also
                          tend
                          to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more
                          reliable.

                          Hope this helps,
                          --Rob

                        • Scannerman
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 13, 2013
                            If you are in need of a usb to serial adapter I would suggest the usb to
                            serial adapter at sewell direct SW-1301. I havd been using it with Windows
                            7 with no issues.

                            Take care,
                            Joey
                            On Jan 12, 2013 11:16 AM, "Robert Terzi" <rct-yh@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > kc9vzv wrote:
                            > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and
                            > it does not
                            > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb
                            > cable? Any chance that that would help?
                            >
                            > Dan Simon wrote:
                            > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
                            >
                            > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details
                            > that would help
                            > determine if this is your problem or not.
                            >
                            > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and
                            > cheap Chinese
                            > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply
                            > available for $10 and less.
                            >
                            > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will
                            > try to
                            > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from
                            > working.
                            > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no
                            > longer
                            > recognized and the com port goes away.
                            >
                            > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers:
                            > http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                            >
                            > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                            >
                            > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to
                            > serial cable,
                            > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based
                            > on the
                            > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from
                            > most
                            > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will
                            > spend
                            > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also
                            > tend
                            > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more
                            > reliable.
                            >
                            > Hope this helps,
                            > --Rob

                          • Mike Dziadus
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                              I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.

                              Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America

                              On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                              >
                              > Thanks again!
                              > -Dan
                              > On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Robert Terzi wrote:
                              >
                              > > kc9vzv wrote:
                              > > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not
                              > > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help?
                              > >
                              > > Dan Simon wrote:
                              > > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
                              > >
                              > > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                              > > determine if this is your problem or not.
                              > >
                              > > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                              > > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                              > >
                              > > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                              > > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                              > > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                              > > recognized and the com port goes away.
                              > >
                              > > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                              > >
                              > > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                              > >
                              > > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                              > > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                              > > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                              > > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                              > > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                              > > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                              > >
                              > > Hope this helps,
                              > > --Rob

                            • Mike Dziadus
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                                Oops see your on XP. Sorry it's early

                                On Jan 14, 2013, at 5:16 AM, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:

                                > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                >
                                > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                                >
                                > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                > >
                                > > Thanks again!
                                > > -Dan

                                > > > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                                > > > determine if this is your problem or not.
                                > > >
                                > > > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                                > > > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                                > > >
                                > > > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                                > > > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                                > > > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                                > > > recognized and the com port goes away.
                                > > >
                                > > > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                                > > >
                                > > > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                                > > >
                                > > > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                                > > > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                                > > > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                                > > > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                                > > > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                                > > > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                                > > >
                                > > > Hope this helps,
                                > > > --Rob

                              • kc9vzv
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013

                                • David Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                                    I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                                    7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                                    bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                                    hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:

                                    > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                    >

                                    > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                                    >

                                    > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                    >>
                                    >> Thanks again!
                                    >> -Dan

                                    >>> I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                                    >>> determine if this is your problem or not.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                                    >>> knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                                    >>> install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                                    >>> This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                                    >>> recognized and the com port goes away.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                                    >>>
                                    >>> (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                                    >>>
                                    >>> NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                                    >>> I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                                    >>> FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                                    >>> reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                                    >>> a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                                    >>> to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Hope this helps,
                                    >>> --Rob

                                  • John Stark
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                                      That depends on the chip set used in the cable. I still use one of the oldest cables and it's fine for any platform as long as they keep updating the driver's :D

                                      David Johnson <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                                      >I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                                      >7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                                      >bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                                      >hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                                      >
                                      >Sent from my iPhone
                                      >
                                      >On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                      >>

                                      >> Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                                      >>

                                      >> On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Thanks again!
                                      >>> -Dan

                                    • dataman60435
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                                        Is it possible to buy the "HL-340" USB adapter at like "Office Max" connect it to the cable that came with the 396XT, download the drivers?...What is the price of the adapter and who is it made by-Thank You.....

                                        --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson wrote:

                                        > I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                                        > 7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                                        > bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                                        > hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                                        >
                                        > Sent from my iPhone
                                        >
                                        > On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                        > >

                                        > > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                                        > >

                                        > > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Thanks again!
                                        > >> -Dan

                                      • David Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                                          Just do a search on eBay. There is one there now for AU$12. Comes with
                                          a driver disc.

                                          Sent from my iPhone

                                          On 18/01/2013, at 7:20, dataman60435 <dataman60435@...> wrote:

                                          > Is it possible to buy the "HL-340" USB adapter at like "Office Max" connect it to the cable that came with the 396XT, download the drivers?...What is the price of the adapter and who is it made by-Thank You.....
                                          >
                                          > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                                          >> 7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                                          >> bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                                          >> hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                                          >>
                                          >> Sent from my iPhone
                                          >>
                                          >> On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >>> I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                          >>>

                                          >>> Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America

                                        • Boykin Roseborough
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                                            I have had very good success with this adapter in programming scanners and two way radios. Be sure you have the latest drivers. Used by many two-way radio shops.

                                            Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter

                                            Boykin

                                            Boykin Roseborough, N2CP
                                            boykin@...
                                            803-960-9766