Firmware update issue

  • kc9vzv
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
      I know a lot of people have been saying how smooth the firmware update for the BCD396XT went, but has anyone had issues with it? Mine is working fine until I click the button to auto-find the COM port and then it can't detect a scanner. I am using the provided Uniden serial cable with a serial-to-USB adapter. What puzzles me most is that the same set up for connecting my scanner to my pc has worked many times when programming my scanner with FreeScan. I have also tried this on 2 different computers. Does anyone have any thoughts?
      Thanks!!

      Dan
      KC9VZV
    • Milton Engle
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
        Suggest that you use Device Manager to find the port used by the USB cable
        and then manually set the Comm Port in V-UP3.
        I used the standard serial cable with no problems. USB communications with
        many products seems to be a hit or miss affair involving the proper
        installation of drivers and phase of the moon..

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
          Dan,

          Have you tried using the comport freescan detects for the firmware updater?
          Also, make sure freescan is not running or loaded when run the updater program...

          -Lance

          On Jan 11, 2013, at 5:31 AM, kc9vzv wrote:

          > I know a lot of people have been saying how smooth the firmware update for the BCD396XT went, but has anyone had issues with it? Mine is working fine until I click the button to auto-find the COM port and then it can't detect a scanner. I am using the provided Uniden serial cable with a serial-to-USB adapter. What puzzles me most is that the same set up for connecting my scanner to my pc has worked many times when programming my scanner with FreeScan. I have also tried this on 2 different computers. Does anyone have any thoughts?
          > Thanks!!
          >
          > Dan
          > KC9VZV

        • kc9vzv
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013

          • Upman
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
              1: What com port is it on?
              2: Is the scanner turned on and scanning?
              3: When you manually select the com port, what error do you get?
              4: Are you sure no other program is running that might be using the port?

            • John Stark
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                Update your prolific driver

              • kc9vzv
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013

                • kc9vzv
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help? Thanks!

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                      It's possible your adapter went bad. Is there someone
                      else in your area you can borrow an adapter from to try?

                      Joe M.

                      kc9vzv wrote:
                      > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help? Thanks!
                      >
                      > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, John Stark wrote:
                      >> Update your prolific driver
                      >>
                      >> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

                    • Dan Simon
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                        That's what I was wondering. I can't think of anyone that would have one, so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

                        -Dan
                        On Jan 12, 2013, at 5:47 AM, MCH wrote:

                        > It's possible your adapter went bad. Is there someone
                        > else in your area you can borrow an adapter from to try?
                        >
                        > Joe M.
                        >
                        > kc9vzv wrote:
                        > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help? Thanks!
                        > >
                        > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, John Stark wrote:
                        > >> Update your prolific driver
                        > >>
                        > >> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

                        > Dan
                        >
                        > Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                      • Dan Simon
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                          Joe-

                          I was just thinking, like I said, this serial adapter has always worked when I have been working with FreeScan. Could this somehow be different and I should get another one? Or is that a waste of time/money?
                          Thanks!

                          Dan
                          On Jan 12, 2013, at 5:47 AM, MCH wrote:

                          > It's possible your adapter went bad. Is there someone
                          > else in your area you can borrow an adapter from to try?
                          >
                          > Joe M.
                          >
                          > kc9vzv wrote:
                          > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help? Thanks!
                          > >
                          > > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, John Stark wrote:
                          > >> Update your prolific driver
                          > >>
                          > >> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

                          > Dan
                          >
                          > Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                        • Robert Terzi
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013

                            Dan Simon wrote:
                            > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

                            I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                            determine if this is your problem or not.

                            However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                            knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.

                            A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                            install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                            This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                            recognized and the com port goes away.

                            Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html

                            (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)

                            NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                            I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                            FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                            reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                            a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                            to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.

                            Hope this helps,
                            --Rob
                          • Dan Simon
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                              Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0

                              Thanks again!
                              -Dan
                              On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Robert Terzi wrote:

                              > kc9vzv wrote:
                              > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not
                              > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help?
                              >
                              > Dan Simon wrote:
                              > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
                              >
                              > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                              > determine if this is your problem or not.
                              >
                              > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                              > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                              >
                              > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                              > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                              > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                              > recognized and the com port goes away.
                              >
                              > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                              >
                              > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                              >
                              > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                              > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                              > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                              > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                              > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                              > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                              >
                              > Hope this helps,
                              > --Rob

                            • Boykiin Roseborough
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 12, 2013
                                Just updated the BCD396XT firmware without any problem. I am using Windows
                                7 Home Premium and the USB to Scanner cable that came with my BCD996XT.

                                Boykin

                                Boykin Roseborough, N2CP

                                boykin@...

                                803-960-9766

                                Dan Simon wrote:
                                > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

                                I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that
                                would help
                                determine if this is your problem or not.

                                However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and
                                cheap Chinese
                                knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available
                                for $10 and less.

                                A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will
                                try to
                                install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from
                                working.
                                This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no
                                longer
                                recognized and the com port goes away.

                                Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers:
                                http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html

                                (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)

                                NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to
                                serial cable,
                                I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based
                                on the
                                FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                                reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will
                                spend
                                a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also
                                tend
                                to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more
                                reliable.

                                Hope this helps,
                                --Rob

                              • Scannerman
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 13, 2013
                                  If you are in need of a usb to serial adapter I would suggest the usb to
                                  serial adapter at sewell direct SW-1301. I havd been using it with Windows
                                  7 with no issues.

                                  Take care,
                                  Joey
                                  On Jan 12, 2013 11:16 AM, "Robert Terzi" <rct-yh@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > kc9vzv wrote:
                                  > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and
                                  > it does not
                                  > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb
                                  > cable? Any chance that that would help?
                                  >
                                  > Dan Simon wrote:
                                  > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
                                  >
                                  > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details
                                  > that would help
                                  > determine if this is your problem or not.
                                  >
                                  > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and
                                  > cheap Chinese
                                  > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply
                                  > available for $10 and less.
                                  >
                                  > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will
                                  > try to
                                  > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from
                                  > working.
                                  > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no
                                  > longer
                                  > recognized and the com port goes away.
                                  >
                                  > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers:
                                  > http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                                  >
                                  > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                                  >
                                  > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to
                                  > serial cable,
                                  > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based
                                  > on the
                                  > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from
                                  > most
                                  > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will
                                  > spend
                                  > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also
                                  > tend
                                  > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more
                                  > reliable.
                                  >
                                  > Hope this helps,
                                  > --Rob

                                • Mike Dziadus
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                                    I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.

                                    Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America

                                    On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                    >
                                    > Thanks again!
                                    > -Dan
                                    > On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Robert Terzi wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > kc9vzv wrote:
                                    > > > Well I have been trying to update my drivers for a few hours tonight and it does not
                                    > > > seem to be working... :( Should I try to get a whole new serial-to-usb cable? Any chance that that would help?
                                    > >
                                    > > Dan Simon wrote:
                                    > > > so I may just order one online for $10. We'll see. Thanks for the input.
                                    > >
                                    > > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                                    > > determine if this is your problem or not.
                                    > >
                                    > > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                                    > > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                                    > >
                                    > > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                                    > > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                                    > > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                                    > > recognized and the com port goes away.
                                    > >
                                    > > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                                    > >
                                    > > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                                    > >
                                    > > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                                    > > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                                    > > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                                    > > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                                    > > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                                    > > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                                    > >
                                    > > Hope this helps,
                                    > > --Rob

                                  • Mike Dziadus
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                                      Oops see your on XP. Sorry it's early

                                      On Jan 14, 2013, at 5:16 AM, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:

                                      > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                      >
                                      > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                                      >
                                      > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks again!
                                      > > -Dan

                                      > > > I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                                      > > > determine if this is your problem or not.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                                      > > > knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                                      > > > install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                                      > > > This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                                      > > > recognized and the com port goes away.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                                      > > >
                                      > > > (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                                      > > >
                                      > > > NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                                      > > > I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                                      > > > FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                                      > > > reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                                      > > > a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                                      > > > to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Hope this helps,
                                      > > > --Rob

                                    • kc9vzv
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013

                                      • David Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                                          I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                                          7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                                          bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                                          hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.

                                          Sent from my iPhone

                                          On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:

                                          > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                          >

                                          > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                                          >

                                          > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                          >>
                                          >> Thanks again!
                                          >> -Dan

                                          >>> I didn't see a mention what OS your are running and a few other details that would help
                                          >>> determine if this is your problem or not.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> However, many people have been experiencing problems with Windows 7 and cheap Chinese
                                          >>> knockoffs of the Prolific USB serial adapter that you see cheaply available for $10 and less.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> A somewhat recent update to the Prolific driver which Windows Update will try to
                                          >>> install attempts to detect the non-genuine chips and prevent them from working.
                                          >>> This causes a set the situation a cable setup that previously worked is no longer
                                          >>> recognized and the com port goes away.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> Here's one guide to dealing with Prolific drivers: http://uv5r.99k.org/UV5R-Drivers.html
                                          >>>
                                          >>> (for more google for "prolific error 10 windows 7)
                                          >>>
                                          >>> NOTE: If you are going to go through the exercise of buying another USB to serial cable,
                                          >>> I strongly suggest that you spend more than $10 and find one that is based on the
                                          >>> FTDI USB serial chip. FTDI will be in the description of the cable from most
                                          >>> reputable places. It will cost $15-25 instead of $10 or less, but you will spend
                                          >>> a lot less time doing trial an error with drivers. The better cables also tend
                                          >>> to have better voltage level converters which tends to make things more reliable.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> Hope this helps,
                                          >>> --Rob

                                        • John Stark
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 14, 2013
                                            That depends on the chip set used in the cable. I still use one of the oldest cables and it's fine for any platform as long as they keep updating the driver's :D

                                            David Johnson <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                                            >I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                                            >7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                                            >bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                                            >hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                                            >
                                            >Sent from my iPhone
                                            >
                                            >On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus <mdflys4fun@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                            >>

                                            >> Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                                            >>

                                            >> On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon <kc9vzv@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >>> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                            >>>
                                            >>> Thanks again!
                                            >>> -Dan

                                          • dataman60435
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                                              Is it possible to buy the "HL-340" USB adapter at like "Office Max" connect it to the cable that came with the 396XT, download the drivers?...What is the price of the adapter and who is it made by-Thank You.....

                                              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson wrote:

                                              > I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                                              > 7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                                              > bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                                              > hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                                              >
                                              > Sent from my iPhone
                                              >
                                              > On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                              > >

                                              > > Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America
                                              > >

                                              > > On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Dan Simon wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > >> Thanks Rob. I am running Windows XP on the main computer I have been trying this on. I do think that what you mentioned is my problem. My adapter is made by Gead Heads (according to the sticker on it) and I got it a while ago at Fry's for a pretty low price. I think I may go ahead and order this cable that has the FTDI chip. http://amzn.com/B007NN5LB0
                                              > >>
                                              > >> Thanks again!
                                              > >> -Dan

                                            • David Johnson
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                                                Just do a search on eBay. There is one there now for AU$12. Comes with
                                                a driver disc.

                                                Sent from my iPhone

                                                On 18/01/2013, at 7:20, dataman60435 <dataman60435@...> wrote:

                                                > Is it possible to buy the "HL-340" USB adapter at like "Office Max" connect it to the cable that came with the 396XT, download the drivers?...What is the price of the adapter and who is it made by-Thank You.....
                                                >
                                                > --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, David Johnson wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >> I had a cheap HL-340 USB-RS232 adaptor, but when I upgraded to windows
                                                >> 7 it stopped working, even with the new drivers from the web page. I
                                                >> bought a new HL-340, and it does work. The older cables are not
                                                >> hardware compatible with the windows 7 drivers.
                                                >>
                                                >> Sent from my iPhone
                                                >>
                                                >> On 14/01/2013, at 22:24, Mike Dziadus wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >>> I had no luck as well on a windows 7 platform but when I ran freescan it worked fine. So I went to a older PC running XP and it worked fine. My thinking is I need to look for the right drivers for windows 7. So maybe see if its a driver that's stopping you from the update.
                                                >>>

                                                >>> Sent from a secret location deep within United States of America

                                              • Boykin Roseborough
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jan 17, 2013
                                                  I have had very good success with this adapter in programming scanners and two way radios. Be sure you have the latest drivers. Used by many two-way radio shops.

                                                  Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter

                                                  Boykin

                                                  Boykin Roseborough, N2CP
                                                  boykin@...
                                                  803-960-9766