FreeSCAN

  • Doug Johnson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
      Hello All,

      I just attempted to update my version of freescan from 2.10 to 2.11.
      I downloaded it from their new website Sixspot Software.

      When I went to install it on my PC and my virus scanner reported the file had " HeurEngine.ZeroDayThreat"
      I then went to their website to report it and went to the "contact us" page.

      Once there, the Contact Us page said "Come on really? Come on....Save your email for something else."
      I think that this is a joke, because if this company was serious about their business, they would be open
      for feedback, comments etc on their software.

      I have had no problems with this software up until now, it has been good and reliable.

      If your out there Sixspot Software, please take note. I suggest you fix your "Contact Us" page.

      Regards,

      Doug

    • Jeremy PelDal
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
        Did you try leaving a post on their support
        forums which can easily be found in the menu on the left side of their website?

        At 03:55 AM 1/6/2013, Doug Johnson wrote:

        >Hello All,
        >
        >I just attempted to update my version of freescan from 2.10 to 2.11.
        >I downloaded it from their new website Sixspot Software.
        >
        >When I went to install it on my PC and my virus
        >scanner reported the file had " HeurEngine.ZeroDayThreat"
        >I then went to their website to report it and went to the "contact us" page.
        >
        >Once there, the Contact Us page said "Come on
        >really? Come on....Save your email for something else."
        >I think that this is a joke, because if this
        >company was serious about their business, they would be open
        >for feedback, comments etc on their software.
        >
        >I have had no problems with this software up
        >until now, it has been good and reliable.
        >
        >If your out there Sixspot Software, please take
        >note. I suggest you fix your "Contact Us" page.
        >

        >Regards,
        >
        >Doug

      • Bob Burns W9RXR
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
          At 03:55 AM 1/6/2013, Doug Johnson wrote:

          >Once there, the Contact Us page said "Come on really? Come
          >on....Save your email for something else." I think that this is a
          >joke, because if this company was serious about their business, they
          >would be open for feedback, comments etc on their software.

          Based on what I read in their forum, they prefer to do software
          support in their forum rather than by individual emails.

          Bob...
        • John Stark
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
            At least with FreeScan you CAN get support unlike that program that comes from the Netherlands where there is zero support from email or any other means.
            Assay however does a fantastic job support wise with FreeScan and if he prefers a forum to email that's fine with me.... at least he supports his software!

            Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...> wrote:

            >At 03:55 AM 1/6/2013, Doug Johnson wrote:
            >
            >>Once there, the Contact Us page said "Come on really? Come
            >>on....Save your email for something else." I think that this is a
            >>joke, because if this company was serious about their business, they
            >>would be open for feedback, comments etc on their software.
            >
            >Based on what I read in their forum, they prefer to do software
            >support in their forum rather than by individual emails.
            >
            >Bob...

          • Jerry Mader
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
              I agree.

              I tried to help them understand how to better their software to make it
              easier for the blind and the guy got huffy about it with me.

              So I just assume not deal witht hat so don't bother to make anymore
              comments.

              Jerry Mader

              _____

              At 03:55 AM 1/6/2013, Doug Johnson wrote:

              >Once there, the Contact Us page said "Come on really? Come
              >on....Save your email for something else." I think that this is a
              >joke, because if this company was serious about their business, they
              >would be open for feedback, comments etc on their software.

              Based on what I read in their forum, they prefer to do software
              support in their forum rather than by individual emails.

              Bob...

            • john szalay
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2013
                 " HeurEngine.ZeroDayThreat"

                HeurEngine.ZeroDayThreat detections are Heuristic based detections  (based on suspicious behavior, but not confirmed to be malicious or clean).

                 Most probably what is termed  "a false positive"

                try using another virus/malware scanner to verify .

                      Been using 2.11 since it was released and  my virus/malware  engines report no issues with the download or file.

                ________________________________
                Did you try leaving a post on their support
                forums which can easily be found in the menu on the left side of their website?

                At 03:55 AM 1/6/2013, Doug Johnson wrote:

                >Hello All,
                >
                >I just attempted to update my version of freescan from 2.10 to 2.11.
                >I downloaded it from their new website Sixspot Software.
                >
                >When I went to install it on my PC and my virus
                >scanner reported the file had " HeurEngine.ZeroDayThreat"
                >I then went to their website to report it and went to the "contact us" page.
                >
                >Once there, the Contact Us page said "Come on
                >really? Come on....Save your email for something else."
                >I think that this is a joke, because if this
                >company was serious about their business, they would be open
                >for feedback, comments etc on their software.
                >
                >I have had no problems with this software up
                >until now, it has been good and reliable.
                >
                >If your out there Sixspot Software, please take
                >note. I suggest you fix your "Contact Us" page.
                >

                >Regards,
                >
                >Doug

              • Matt
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
                  Having used both, I have to say I prefer the free one. I get the impression, after an issue with the last build of the pay software, that they don't know the scanner as well as they need to.

                  Matt Collins

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
                    actually Rob has been pretty busy with family and work.... he knows plenty about the radio and programing

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
                      If Rob is the guy with the payware, I'd take issue. The current release removed the capability to have multiple priority channels in a group of simplex and repeater channels. The previous versions allowed you to do that, as well as Freescan. When they finally got back to me, he tried to tell me that you never could have multiples. If that's the case, someone had better tell my radio to stop doing it. Obviously, not entirely sure of the radio's capabilities. Still haven't heard a response back a month on.

                      To be honest, the more I use it, the more I prefer the free one.