396XT/996XT problem?

  • nz8j
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2013
      Hi,
      I am very new to scanning using the trunked systems. My local sheriff and emergency services recently went to the Ohio Multi agency radio system. I have a 996XT that I was able to program using Freescan and importing frequencies from Radio Reference and can copy the new system the sherrif is using fine on the 996XT.

      However I also have a 396XT hand held that for some reason I cannot get to receive the new frequencies. I went through the same procedures that I did for the 996XT but cannot receive the sheriff. I can copy all the other frequencies both cnv and trunked on the 396 that I can on the 996.

      I have some questions:

      1. Do the freescan files for both the 996XT and 396XT have 996 as the "type" of file or should the 396 file have the file type as 396? The files saved from programming the 396 show up as 996 file types.

      2. If so should you be able to upload a file saved from the 996XT to the 396XT scanner?

      Any ideas as to why I cannot seem to upload the new system to the 396XT? I compared the setting on the 996 files that work on the 996XT scanner to the files I uploaded to the 396XT scanner and they look the same.

      I'm stumped... but of course being new to this that is not saying much

      Thanks in advance for any help in trying to receive the new systems here in Clark County Ohio.

      Tim
      NZ8J
    • Uniden UPMan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2013
        My first guess would be tha tthe BCD396XT is not running current firmware. We're releasing new firmware soon (hopefully this afternoon), but the older version is in the attachment links at the bottom of the firmware update page (http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BCD396XTFirmwareUpdate).

        UpMan

        >________________________________

      • chris451
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2013
          check the band plan on both. Base freqs and channel step wont work if zero.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2013
            Is the firmware up to date in the 396?
            That's the only cause I can think of.

            Well, that or you don't have a setting correct
            in the 396 file.

            If you don't care about what is in the 396,
            you can read the 996 and write to the 396.

            Yes, the file extensions are the same for both.

            Joe M.

            nz8j wrote:
            > Hi,
            > I am very new to scanning using the trunked systems. My local sheriff and emergency services recently went to the Ohio Multi agency radio system. I have a 996XT that I was able to program using Freescan and importing frequencies from Radio Reference and can copy the new system the sherrif is using fine on the 996XT.
            >
            > However I also have a 396XT hand held that for some reason I cannot get to receive the new frequencies. I went through the same procedures that I did for the 996XT but cannot receive the sheriff. I can copy all the other frequencies both cnv and trunked on the 396 that I can on the 996.
            >
            > I have some questions:
            >
            > 1. Do the freescan files for both the 996XT and 396XT have 996 as the "type" of file or should the 396 file have the file type as 396? The files saved from programming the 396 show up as 996 file types.
            >
            > 2. If so should you be able to upload a file saved from the 996XT to the 396XT scanner?
            >
            > Any ideas as to why I cannot seem to upload the new system to the 396XT? I compared the setting on the 996 files that work on the 996XT scanner to the files I uploaded to the 396XT scanner and they look the same.
            >
            > I'm stumped... but of course being new to this that is not saying much
            >
            > Thanks in advance for any help in trying to receive the new systems here in Clark County Ohio.
            >
            > Tim
            > NZ8J

          • nz8j
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2013
              Thanks to all for the information and suggestions. I will try the firmware upgrade to see if that helps and also look at the other suggestions to make sure I have everything set correctly.

              The radio is new, I just got it through Amazon a few weeks ago in anticipation of the move from conventional to the OHIO MARC system so I don't know how up to date the firmware is, I just assumed it would be current.

              It is on the same antenna as the 996 so it should be ok on signal strength.

              I did try downloading the file from the 996 and uploading it to the 396, still didn't work so it may be a firmware issue...

              I'll post again after I try the firmware and other suggestions...

              thanks again for the suggestions.

              Tim
              NZ8J

              --- In BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com, "nz8j" wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I am very new to scanning using the trunked systems. My local sheriff and emergency services recently went to the Ohio Multi agency radio system. I have a 996XT that I was able to program using Freescan and importing frequencies from Radio Reference and can copy the new system the sherrif is using fine on the 996XT.
              >
              > However I also have a 396XT hand held that for some reason I cannot get to receive the new frequencies. I went through the same procedures that I did for the 996XT but cannot receive the sheriff. I can copy all the other frequencies both cnv and trunked on the 396 that I can on the 996.
              >
              > I have some questions:
              >
              > 1. Do the freescan files for both the 996XT and 396XT have 996 as the "type" of file or should the 396 file have the file type as 396? The files saved from programming the 396 show up as 996 file types.
              >
              > 2. If so should you be able to upload a file saved from the 996XT to the 396XT scanner?
              >
              > Any ideas as to why I cannot seem to upload the new system to the 396XT? I compared the setting on the 996 files that work on the 996XT scanner to the files I uploaded to the 396XT scanner and they look the same.
              >
              > I'm stumped... but of course being new to this that is not saying much
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any help in trying to receive the new systems here in Clark County Ohio.
              >
              > Tim
              > NZ8J

            • nz8j
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2013
                I checked the firmware and it is at 1.10.0, so I would assume it should work fine, but still can't get it to operate like the 996XT for receiving the local Clark County Ohio Sheriff frequencies that utilize the OHIO MARC system. The 996XT programmed just fine using Freescan.

                I tried using the same Freescan file that worked on the 996XT to upload to the 396XT and it still won't work.

                Any suggestions as to why the exact same file won'twork in the 396XT that works in the 996XT? I checked the block to erase all systems and settings before uploading to each radio and the 996 works and the 396 doesn't.

                I'm sure it's most likely something simple, but my lack of experience with anything other than conventional systems doesn't make it obvious to me, it's getting frustrating. :)

                I'd appreciate any other help/suggestions..

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2013
                  Do you have the same System Quick Keys enabled?

                  Joe M.