Firmware Release suggestion

  • Doug Hutton
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 29, 2012
      UPMan:

      Since you are releasing an update, may I suggest a minor change that
      would be
      very helpful to me and perhaps others.

      When HOLD is pressed while trunk scanning, the scanner holds on the control
      channel. It would be much more helpful to hold on the last received
      channel.

      There are times when I hear something unusual or interesting and scanning
      resumes before I can look at the display. I have DELAY set to 1 second
      and don't want to increase it.

      Several years ago, I had a Uniden trunking scanner with a D suffix that
      behaved this way and it was very handy.

      Doug H

    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 29, 2012
        At 12:00 PM 12/29/2012, Doug Hutton wrote:

        >Since you are releasing an update, may I suggest a minor change...

        Based on a posting Paul made on RadioReference, I think it may be too
        late to get any features added in this firmware update. In other
        words, the update is in the can. Maybe next time.

        My impression is that the firmware is nearly done and awaiting final
        approval by Uniden's engineers. Paul built the update page on the
        Uniden wiki and created the links so he'd be ready to release the
        update as soon as the engineers approve it.

        Bob...
      • Milton Engle
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 29, 2012
          The scanner must listen to the control (or home) channel in order to follow
          transmissions on the system.
          In a very general sense that is the way any trunking system functions.
          Likewise user radios in a trunking environment will always listen to the
          control channel or home channel.
          In most trunking systems the control channel is a continuous data
          tranmission, all voice or digital voice communications occur on other
          channels in the system. The user radio listens for and finds the active
          control channel and stays there unless directed to a different channel by
          the system controller. Once the transmission or conversation that the user
          radio was directed to is over the user radio returns to the control channel.
          In a basic LTR system the user radio remains on the home channel programmed
          into the user radio unless directed by the trunking controller to another
          channel in the system. Basic LTR systems can have each system frequency
          function as a home channel depending on how the system is designed.
          If the scanner held on the last received frequency you would not receive any
          transmissions until another call was sent to the channel on which the
          scanner was holding, and then only if listening in ID Search mode. The
          chances that this next call would be related to the one last heard are very
          limited.

          > Since you are releasing an update, may I suggest a minor change that
          > would be
          > very helpful to me and perhaps others.
          >
          > When HOLD is pressed while trunk scanning, the scanner holds on the
          > control
          > channel. It would be much more helpful to hold on the last received
          > channel.
          >
          > There are times when I hear something unusual or interesting and scanning
          > resumes before I can look at the display. I have DELAY set to 1 second
          > and don't want to increase it.
          >
          > Several years ago, I had a Uniden trunking scanner with a D suffix that
          > behaved this way and it was very handy.
          >
          > Doug H

        • Jeffry Rehm
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
            Another option. How about a new scanner in the wings? (a 396/996xt updated version that is) It has been a couple years. I don't want to stir the pot but I would like to see one very soon.

            Just a suggestion.

            At 12:00 PM 12/29/2012, Doug Hutton wrote:

            >Since you are releasing an update, may I suggest a minor change...

            Based on a posting Paul made on RadioReference, I think it may be too
            late to get any features added in this firmware update. In other
            words, the update is in the can. Maybe next time.

            My impression is that the firmware is nearly done and awaiting final
            approval by Uniden's engineers. Paul built the update page on the
            Uniden wiki and created the links so he'd be ready to release the
            update as soon as the engineers approve it.

            Bob...

          • chris451
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
              I am seeing a lot of city and business (power company and industrial)
              conversion to mototrbo and DMR. In amateur radio there is some use of
              Dstar. I guarantee i'd be a future customer of a scanner that can do all
              of those protocols, or have Software Defined DSP processors that could
              do that.
              (I've tried DSD.exe and it works on all but Dstar) I have this kind of
              thing running on my base station but not in a portable.

              Now the big question is Uniden able to provide the above?
              The one interesting answer I heard was different hardware was needed.
              Yep a GMSK modem and the appropriate decoder. And what would the license
              costs per radio? So does that mean Uniden buys the decoder chip from
              someone else or do they have a programmer for the DSP firmware?

              There is a little toll booth set up to use the AMBE IMBE codec that's
              90% public domain algorithms.....look up the codec2 guy and listen to
              his discussions. When he discusses how codec2 works you can see the
              similarity to AMBE and IMBE.

              And what to do about the departments that think its a good idea to
              encrypt everything? I make sure my Sheriff knows how helpful it is to
              hear them and get early warnings about accidents, bad weather, bad roads.

              Also some new codecs are being promoted, such as codec2, a low bit rate
              codec.
              Thats why uploadable codecs would be great along with combination modems
              that do c4fm cqpsk and gmsk at the most common data rates (with tdma if
              needed).

              dsd.exe works for me and proves this isn't that hard to do. I haven't
              tried that on cqpsk but will be soon as I get discriminator taps installed.
              Thats been bringing new life to my old analog scanners.

              Also I get full frequency coverage with those and unidens have lots of
              holes in their coverage.
              I've been bugging the FCC to get rid of the "no cellular reception"
              rules, since everything here is cdma and a lot of receivers get the same
              format on PCS so why do you need "cellular blocking" if there is no more
              analog cellular?

              On 12/30/2012 8:00 AM, Jeffry Rehm wrote:

              > Another option. How about a new scanner in the wings? (a 396/996xt
              > updated version that is) It has been a couple years. I don't want to
              > stir the pot but I would like to see one very soon.
              >
              > Just a suggestion.
              >

              > --- On Sat, 12/29/12, Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@...
              > <mailto:w9rxr_%40rlburns.net>> wrote:
              >
              > From: Bob Burns W9RXR <w9rxr_@... <mailto:w9rxr_%40rlburns.net>>
              > Subject: Re: [BCD396XT] Firmware Release suggestion
              > To: BCD396XT@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BCD396XT%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
              >

              > At 12:00 PM 12/29/2012, Doug Hutton wrote:
              >
              > >Since you are releasing an update, may I suggest a minor change...
              >
              > Based on a posting Paul made on RadioReference, I think it may be too
              > late to get any features added in this firmware update. In other
              > words, the update is in the can. Maybe next time.
              >
              > My impression is that the firmware is nearly done and awaiting final
              > approval by Uniden's engineers. Paul built the update page on the
              > Uniden wiki and created the links so he'd be ready to release the
              > update as soon as the engineers approve it.
              >
              > Bob...

            • Tom Hayward
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                Milton, I think you misunderstood Doug's request. Here's an example:

                Scanning three control channels in a system:
                Control 1
                Control 2
                Control 3

                Scanner hits on Control 1, TG500.
                Doug decides he wants to hold on Control 1, TG500, and begins moving his
                arm.
                Transmission ends and scanning continues.
                Doug's hand reaches the Hold button and presses it.
                Scanner holds whatever it's currently scanning, e.g., Control 3.

                Doug is requesting that, within a defined period (10 seconds?), Hold will
                not hold the current channel as it does now, but go back to the last hit.
                In this example, Hold would bring you back to Control 1, TG500, instead of
                quiet Control 3.

                I agree with Doug that this change in behavior would very useful. I often
                find myself hitting Hold too late and having to disable scanning and
                manually recall the talkground to get back to what I want to listen to.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                  That's what the DELAY function is for, but he said he didn't want to use
                  that. I don't see the need for a new feature when a current feature
                  exists that will do what you want.

                  Joe M.

                • Tom Hayward
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                    No, delay is different. Delay does not let you return to the last hit after
                    scanning resumes. There are many reasons why you would want to keep delay
                    short but have a way to return to the last hit.

                    Tom

                  • alan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                      Hi Every one,
                      I use UBCD396xt AND Proscan
                      I have limited information on a Utility company operating on
                      the Australian P25 radio system
                      I have the TTGID 106XX and the radio tags
                      but no frequencies, how do I find the complete information
                      to program the scanner?

                      regards
                      Absolute novice
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                        The original problem was described as the scanner moving on before the
                        operator had a chance to stop the scan. The delay would give enough time
                        to stop it before it starts, so that would solve the issue of it
                        starting to scan 'too fast'. You wouldn't have to return to the last
                        active channel because the scanner would still be there.

                        I have a GRE unit that returns to the last active channel, and while
                        that is sometimes nice, it has drawbacks, too. If you want to move
                        several channels (or systems) ahead, you cannot because after you start
                        the scan, wait, then stop it you are back where you started. So, you are
                        forced to wear out the channel up button trying to get to a channel far
                        from where you are.

                        What you need is a scanner that can read your thoughts of what you want
                        to do, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

                        So, unless you want to create another problem, you have two choices:

                        1. Increase the delay so you have time to stop the scan where it is, or

                        2. Hit the button faster.

                        Joe M.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                          I would bet the info is available on Radioreference.com

                          Joe M.

                          alan wrote:
                          > Hi Every one,
                          > I use UBCD396xt AND Proscan
                          > I have limited information on a Utility company operating on
                          > the Australian P25 radio system
                          > I have the TTGID 106XX and the radio tags
                          > but no frequencies, how do I find the complete information
                          > to program the scanner?
                          >
                          > regards
                          > Absolute novice

                        • Brian
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                            You could try logging the P25 site with Pro96Com software with your UBCD396XT scanner.
                            <http://www.psredit.com/pro96com/>

                            This system ?

                            Ergon Energy
                            <http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7274>

                            I have limited information on a Utility company operating on the Australian P25 radio system I have the TTGID 106XX and the radio tags but no frequencies, how do I find the complete information to program the scanner?

                            regards
                            Absolute novice
                          • OB
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                              Try aurfscan.com.au

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On 31 Dec 2012, at 10:16, alan <alexwagga@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Every one,
                              > I use UBCD396xt AND Proscan
                              > I have limited information on a Utility company operating on
                              > the Australian P25 radio system
                              > I have the TTGID 106XX and the radio tags
                              > but no frequencies, how do I find the complete information
                              > to program the scanner?
                              >
                              > regards
                              > Absolute novice

                            • Dan Wall
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                                Alex, If you are looking for Integral Energy, which I am only guessing from
                                the TGID, you are in NSW, then you need to program the NSW Government
                                Radio Service P25 network, with the transmitter site in your area, it's
                                control channel and other frequencies. They are available at
                                www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid= 6943

                                Dan Wall
                                Falcon Investigations, LLC
                                Cell 719-433-1461
                                Work 719-357-7393
                                Sent from my T-Mobile SmartPhone

                              • doctordialtone@att.net
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 30, 2012
                                  It seems to me that this could be resolved by simply building 3 identical Systems each one using its own Control Channel. That way between the display and the Quick Keys, you'll have control over what you want to hear.

                                  By labeling the Systems and Sites accordingly (>>> Control 1
                                  >>> Control 2>>> Control 3), you'd be able to - as quickly as your fingers will move - navigate to the System/Control Channel of interest. Use HOLD or DELAY at your discretion.

                                  OR, hit HOLD and scroll back and forth until you hear the traffic you are following from the appropriate Control Channel(s), labeled accordingly.

                                  In case anyone doesn't like this suggestion for any reason or thinks it won't work, please don't bother ripping it apart. It's my attempt at providing a workable solution.

                                  Happy New Year!

                                  > The original problem was described as the scanner moving on before the
                                  > operator had a chance to stop the scan. The delay would give enough time
                                  > to stop it before it starts, so that would solve the issue of it
                                  > starting to scan 'too fast'. You wouldn't have to return to the last
                                  > active channel because the scanner would still be there.
                                  >
                                  > I have a GRE unit that returns to the last active channel, and while
                                  > that is sometimes nice, it has drawbacks, too. If you want to move
                                  > several channels (or systems) ahead, you cannot because after you start
                                  > the scan, wait, then stop it you are back where you started. So, you are
                                  > forced to wear out the channel up button trying to get to a channel far
                                  > from where you are.
                                  >
                                  > What you need is a scanner that can read your thoughts of what you want
                                  > to do, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.
                                  >
                                  > So, unless you want to create another problem, you have two choices:
                                  >
                                  > 1. Increase the delay so you have time to stop the scan where it is, or
                                  >
                                  > 2. Hit the button faster.
                                  >
                                  > Joe M.
                                  >
                                  > Tom Hayward wrote:
                                  > > No, delay is different. Delay does not let you return to the last hit after
                                  > > scanning resumes. There are many reasons why you would want to keep delay
                                  > > short but have a way to return to the last hit.
                                  > >
                                  > > Tom
                                  > >
                                  > > On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM, MCH <mch@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> **
                                  > >>

                                  > >> That's what the DELAY function is for, but he said he didn't want to use
                                  > >> that. I don't see the need for a new feature when a current feature
                                  > >> exists that will do what you want.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Joe M.

                                  > >> of

                                  > >> by
                                  > >> user
                                  > >> another

                                • alan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 31, 2012
                                    Thanking the assistance given I found the frequencies I
                                    needed as below
                                    thanks All

                                    On Mon 31-Dec-2012 2:00 PM, Dan Wall wrote:

                                    > Alex, If you are looking for Integral Energy, which I am
                                    > only guessing from
                                    > the TGID, you are in NSW, then you need to program the NSW
                                    > Government
                                    > Radio Service P25 network, with the transmitter site in
                                    > your area, it's
                                    > control channel and other frequencies. They are available at
                                    > www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid= 6943
                                    >
                                    > Dan Wall
                                    > Falcon Investigations, LLC
                                    > Cell 719-433-1461
                                    > Work 719-357-7393
                                    > Sent from my T-Mobile SmartPhone
                                    > On Dec 30, 2012 7:17 PM, "alan"
                                    > <alexwagga@...
                                    > <mailto:alexwagga%40internode.on.net>> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > **
                                    > >

                                    > > Hi Every one,
                                    > > I use UBCD396xt AND Proscan
                                    > > I have limited information on a Utility company operating on
                                    > > the Australian P25 radio system
                                    > > I have the TTGID 106XX and the radio tags
                                    > > but no frequencies, how do I find the complete information
                                    > > to program the scanner?
                                    > >
                                    > > regards
                                    > > Absolute novice

                                  • Doug Hutton
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 31, 2012
                                      Folks, y'all are making this suggestion WAY more complicated than it
                                      deserves. Of the 5 commenters,
                                      only Tom Hayward has thought this through carefully and understands
                                      what I would like to get fixed and why.
                                      He described my situation exactly with a little more detail than I provided.

                                      The main EDACS system I monitor is large with lots of traffic. A longer
                                      DELAY is not a good solution
                                      because I would miss replies and other traffic. My suggestion is a very
                                      simple one with no downside that I can
                                      think of and deserves some serious consideration. Uniden has used it in
                                      a previous trunking scanner, so it must
                                      have some merit.

                                      Doug

                                      1g Re: Firmware Release suggestion
                                      Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:32 pm (PST) . Posted by:
                                      "MCH" NCC74656_USS_Voyager

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 31, 2012
                                        I posted an example of a downside based
                                        on the use of that exact feature.

                                        Should it be considered, of course. But, it's not
                                        a simple win-win feature. There are drawbacks.
                                        (not to mention the fact that there will be users
                                        whose scanner works one way, and others whose
                                        scanner works a different way. That will confuse some)

                                        If it is added, I would hope it will only be as a user-settable
                                        feature, as I want the scanner to scan when it is in scan mode.

                                        Joe M.

                                        Doug Hutton wrote:
                                        > My suggestion is a very simple one with no downside that I can
                                        > think of and deserves some serious consideration.
                                      • Robert Klamp
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 31, 2012
                                          But if you want to return to the last hit by pressing hold how is that any different than the scanner waiting 4 more seconds or so before moving on. Sure you could have it do that but as soon as it picked up another transmission on another channel that would become your last hit. And will accomplish nothing but returning to a channel that if held for 5 seconds you would here the response anyway. And if Uniden did have it in earlier trunking models they must have had good reason to re-think its implementation and came to the same conclusion most people on the board did that it is unnecessary . If you want that feature so bad trade your 996 for a 500 GRE scanners do that and it drives me nuts.

                                          Bob

                                          Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Windows® phone.